Old 01-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Michael George

Default mouse frozen

I had a weird thing happen today. I started up a clean vmware image with
vmplayer and was trying to grab the input and press F2 to set the boot
options. In the process of doing that, the mouse (PS/2) stopped working. I
couldn't move it, click it or anything. The keyboard (USB) was fine, so I
could release the input, but still it wouldn't move.

I could use the kbd to hop between my windows and get to a terminal, so
I killed all the vmware processes in the hopes that would help. No
luck.

So I killed my window manager (exiting X) and got to the command line.
I restarted X in the hopes it would work then. No luck.

I needed the mouse back and I was starting to run late for work so I
just did a reboot (ack!) and all is well. So I know it's not a hardware
issue...

I'm wondering two things:
1. Has anyone else ever had this happen?
2. What could I have done to "re-init" the mouse? I don't think there
are any kernel modules I could unload and load, at least I wasn't
able to identify any...

If anyone has anything I might be able to use, I'd sure appreciate
hearing it!

Thanks!

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.