Old 01-30-2009, 01:43 AM
Grant

Default No RTC kernel support needed?

One of my systems needed Real Time Clock -> PC-style 'CMOS' enabled in
the kernel to prevent a Hardware Clock error at startup and to make
the 'hwclock' command work. Another of my systems doesn't have Real
Time Clock kernel support enabled at all, and yet 'hwclock' works
fine. Does anyone know how that works?

- Grant

Old 01-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Grant wrote:

One of my systems needed Real Time Clock -> PC-style 'CMOS' enabled in
the kernel to prevent a Hardware Clock error at startup and to make
the 'hwclock' command work. Another of my systems doesn't have Real
Time Clock kernel support enabled at all, and yet 'hwclock' works
fine. Does anyone know how that works?

It might have something to do with the "High Resolution Timer Support"
option (in "Processor type and features".) Not sure though.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Grant

>> One of my systems needed Real Time Clock -> PC-style 'CMOS' enabled in
>> the kernel to prevent a Hardware Clock error at startup and to make
>> the 'hwclock' command work. Another of my systems doesn't have Real
>> Time Clock kernel support enabled at all, and yet 'hwclock' works
>> fine. Does anyone know how that works?
>
> It might have something to do with the "High Resolution Timer Support"
> option (in "Processor type and features".) Not sure though.

Thank you but none of my systems seem to have that enabled.

- Grant

Old 02-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Grant wrote:

One of my systems needed Real Time Clock -> PC-style 'CMOS' enabled in
the kernel to prevent a Hardware Clock error at startup and to make
the 'hwclock' command work. Another of my systems doesn't have Real
Time Clock kernel support enabled at all, and yet 'hwclock' works
fine. Does anyone know how that works?

It might have something to do with the "High Resolution Timer Support"
option (in "Processor type and features".) Not sure though.

Thank you but none of my systems seem to have that enabled.

One thing I would try is examining the output of dmesg. Maybe something
relevant shows up.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Robin Atwood

On Sunday 01 Feb 2009, Grant wrote:
> >> One of my systems needed Real Time Clock -> PC-style 'CMOS' enabled in
> >> the kernel to prevent a Hardware Clock error at startup and to make
> >> the 'hwclock' command work. Another of my systems doesn't have Real
> >> Time Clock kernel support enabled at all, and yet 'hwclock' works
> >> fine. Does anyone know how that works?
> >
> > It might have something to do with the "High Resolution Timer Support"
> > option (in "Processor type and features".) Not sure though.
>
> Thank you but none of my systems seem to have that enabled.
>
> - Grant

See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-731009-highlight-.html
HTH
Robin Atwood

Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Grant

>> > It might have something to do with the "High Resolution Timer Support"
>> > option (in "Processor type and features".) Not sure though.
>>
>> Thank you but none of my systems seem to have that enabled.
>>
>> - Grant
>
> See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-731009-highlight-.html
> HTH

Thanks, does anyone know where this has gone in 2.6.28:

Device Drivers -> Character Devices -> Enhanced Real Time Clock Support

Or what the variable name might be so I can look it up that way? I
couldn't find it by searching for RTC in .config.

- Grant

Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Robin Atwood

On Monday 02 Feb 2009, Grant wrote:

> >> Thank you but none of my systems seem to have that enabled.
> >>
> >> - Grant
> >
> > See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-731009-highlight-.html
> > HTH
>
> Thanks, does anyone know where this has gone in 2.6.28:
>
> Device Drivers -> Character Devices -> Enhanced Real Time Clock Support
>
> Or what the variable name might be so I can look it up that way? I
> couldn't find it by searching for RTC in .config.
>
> - Grant

$ grep RTC .config
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
CONFIG_RTC=m
CONFIG_GEN_RTC=m
CONFIG_GEN_RTC_X=y

Found under Device Drivers -> Character Devices

-Robin