Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   utf fonts not working right (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/236812-utf-fonts-not-working-right.html)

smallnow 01-29-2009 09:03 PM

utf fonts not working right
 
http://www.openmobilefree.net/index.php?entry=entry090125-211840

This page works fine on default fonts of other distros. For me, its got blocks
for all the asian characters.

I've been through the gentoo documentation utf guide. I'm using deja-vu font in
firefox, although it seems to be the same on some other random fonts i've tried.

The utf-8 guide says to enable cjk use flag but that seems to be deprecated
since equery says its only used by 4 packages, none of which I have installed.

Why does gentoo not default to utf-8 support?

- Ian

Saphirus Sage 01-29-2009 09:11 PM

utf fonts not working right
 
smallnow wrote:
> http://www.openmobilefree.net/index.php?entry=entry090125-211840
>
> This page works fine on default fonts of other distros. For me, its got blocks
> for all the asian characters.
>
> I've been through the gentoo documentation utf guide. I'm using deja-vu font in
> firefox, although it seems to be the same on some other random fonts i've tried.
>
> The utf-8 guide says to enable cjk use flag but that seems to be deprecated
> since equery says its only used by 4 packages, none of which I have installed.
>
> Why does gentoo not default to utf-8 support?
>
> - Ian
>
>
>
Have a look into /etc/locale.gen and uncomment the language support you
need.

Paul Hartman 01-29-2009 09:50 PM

utf fonts not working right
 
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:03 PM, smallnow <smallnow@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.openmobilefree.net/index.php?entry=entry090125-211840
>
> This page works fine on default fonts of other distros. For me, its got blocks
> for all the asian characters.
>
> I've been through the gentoo documentation utf guide. I'm using deja-vu font in
> firefox, although it seems to be the same on some other random fonts i've tried.
>
> The utf-8 guide says to enable cjk use flag but that seems to be deprecated
> since equery says its only used by 4 packages, none of which I have installed.
>
> Why does gentoo not default to utf-8 support?
>
> - Ian

Works for me... what is your character encoding set to in firefox?
(View -> Character Encoding)... it comes up as GB2312 on mine and
everything looks good to me.

Philip Webb 01-29-2009 10:23 PM

utf fonts not working right
 
090129 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:03 PM, smallnow <smallnow@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.openmobilefree.net/index.php?entry=entry090125-211840
>> This page works fine on default fonts of other distros.
>> For me, its got blocks for all the asian characters.
>> I'm using deja-vu font in firefox,

My default font is New Century Schoolbook.

>> The utf-8 guide says to enable cjk use flag

Not enabled here. In /etc/make.conf , I have

USE="-* apm bitmap-fonts bonobo bzip2 cdr crypt cups dbus dri foomaticdb
gcj gdbm gif gnutls gpm gtk gtk2 hal imagemagick imlib
java javascript jpeg kde lcms libwww lm_sensors mime motif mpeg
multilib ncurses nptl nptlonly nsplugin nvidia opengl
pcre pdf perl plotutils png pop python qt3 readline
scanner session slang ssl
threads tiff tk truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts
unicode usb win32codecs X xml xorg xv zlib"

In /etc/locale.gen , I have

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

> what is your character encoding set to (View -> Character Encoding) ?
> it comes up as GB2312 on mine and everything looks good to me.

Same here. I'm using Firefox 3.0.5 .

--
========================,,======================== ====================
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca

Paul Hartman 01-29-2009 10:27 PM

utf fonts not working right
 
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> 090129 Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:03 PM, smallnow <smallnow@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> http://www.openmobilefree.net/index.php?entry=entry090125-211840
>>> This page works fine on default fonts of other distros.
>>> For me, its got blocks for all the asian characters.
>>> I'm using deja-vu font in firefox,
>
> My default font is New Century Schoolbook.
>
>>> The utf-8 guide says to enable cjk use flag
>
> Not enabled here. In /etc/make.conf , I have
>
> USE="-* apm bitmap-fonts bonobo bzip2 cdr crypt cups dbus dri foomaticdb
> gcj gdbm gif gnutls gpm gtk gtk2 hal imagemagick imlib
> java javascript jpeg kde lcms libwww lm_sensors mime motif mpeg
> multilib ncurses nptl nptlonly nsplugin nvidia opengl
> pcre pdf perl plotutils png pop python qt3 readline
> scanner session slang ssl
> threads tiff tk truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts
> unicode usb win32codecs X xml xorg xv zlib"
>
> In /etc/locale.gen , I have
>
> en_US ISO-8859-1
> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
>
>> what is your character encoding set to (View -> Character Encoding) ?
>> it comes up as GB2312 on mine and everything looks good to me.
>
> Same here. I'm using Firefox 3.0.5 .

I'm using generic font families in Firefox instead of specific fonts
for Simplified Chinese.

Proportional font: Sans-serif
Serif: Serif
Sans-serif: Sans-serif
Monospace: monospace

Willie Wong 01-29-2009 10:39 PM

utf fonts not working right
 
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 02:03:50PM -0800, Penguin Lover smallnow squawked:
> http://www.openmobilefree.net/index.php?entry=entry090125-211840
>
> This page works fine on default fonts of other distros. For me, its got blocks
> for all the asian characters.
>
> I've been through the gentoo documentation utf guide. I'm using deja-vu font in
> firefox, although it seems to be the same on some other random fonts i've tried.
>
> The utf-8 guide says to enable cjk use flag but that seems to be deprecated
> since equery says its only used by 4 packages, none of which I have installed.
>
> Why does gentoo not default to utf-8 support?

The page you list is encoding in GB2312, Simplified Chinese.

Your problem, however, is that you don't have the right fonts. Deja-Vu
fonts do not support east asian scripts. (See their website for more
detail.)

I suggest media-fonts/unifont, which has all Unicode characters, or
media-fonts/wqy-bitmapfonts or media-fonts/arphicfonts which supports
Chinese, Japanese, and Korean ideographs.

Hope this helps,

W
--
...for God's sake look at some real data. That's how Maria Meyer was
able to solve this question that eluded Heisenberg and them all, who
thought they were all so smart. Thank God the German had him as the
head of the nuclear program. Had they actually have someone competent,
they might have built the bomb.
~Prof. Will Happer shelling out some Heisenberg dissing. 11-26-02
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 783 days, 22:10

smallnow 01-29-2009 11:12 PM

utf fonts not working right
 
Willie Wong wrote:
> The page you list is encoding in GB2312, Simplified Chinese.
>
> Your problem, however, is that you don't have the right fonts. Deja-Vu
> fonts do not support east asian scripts. (See their website for more
> detail.)
>
> I suggest media-fonts/unifont, which has all Unicode characters, or
> media-fonts/wqy-bitmapfonts or media-fonts/arphicfonts which supports
> Chinese, Japanese, and Korean ideographs.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> W

SOLVED!
Thanks. I actually had everything already setup the same way everyone else said
except you. I added those fonts, added them to my xorg.conf fonthpaths and
restarted X and it works.

- Ian


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.