Old 01-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default X11 fails after reboot (using a new X11)

On 29 Jan, Justin wrote:
> Neil Bothwick schrieb:
>> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:01:18 +0100, Justin wrote:
>>
>>> Never test packages if it is urgent to recover a working state, !
>>
>> Or, at the very least, use quickpkg on the working version first.
>>

> Yeah , let's put our fingers together in his wounds!! :=)

Why is GenToo so good that it works MOST of the time?

The snag here is that the change became visible pnly after rebooting
or restarting X11, at least.
But there were some long running applications on this 8-core machine,
so I couldn't try.

Thanks for all your help,
I'm trying to find the source of the problem,

Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 01-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Dale

Justin wrote:
> Neil Bothwick schrieb:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:01:18 +0100, Justin wrote:
>>

>>> Never test packages if it is urgent to recover a working state, !
>>>
>> Or, at the very least, use quickpkg on the working version first.
>>

> Yeah , let's put our fingers together in his wounds!! :=)

Another option, put FEATURES="buildpkg" in make.conf so it does it
automatically.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 04:41:37 -0600, Dale wrote:

> Another option, put FEATURES="buildpkg" in make.conf so it does it
> automatically.

No need, it's an 8 core machine. Recompiling the old version takes less
time than asking fr help

--
Neil Bothwick

To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists
solutions are things that are still all mixed up.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:52 PM
James

Helmut Jarausch <jarausch <at> igpm.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Thanks for all your help,
> I'm trying to find the source of the problem,

Depending on your video setup, you may need to recompile
the video driver (nvidia-drivers or ati-drivers). I'm not
sure what all change on your last update....

Also look at the X log files to see what's going on:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

your xorg.conf file may have been altered?

I always save a spare copy, with an appended dated,
particulary if I read about something and noodle
with with xorg.conf.

just a few ideas,

James