Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Jesús Guerrero

Default Patching of ebuilds

Also check the page where you found the patch carefully.
Sometimes you can find an updated ebuild that works with
that patch in the same page, so you don't have to patch it
yourself.

You need to examine the patch and clear up whether it's
a patch for the app or for the ebuild itself. If it's
a patch for the ebuild you just need to copy the ebuild
into an overlay and patch it. But if it's a patch for the
app you need to modify the ebuild so it applies the patch
to the app after unpacking it and before compiling.

This is the official documentation about how to correctly
alter the portage tree so you don't mess up anything. Either
way you need to create an overlay. That's for sure.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=5

--
Jesús Guerrero

Old 01-29-2009, 03:09 PM
James

Andrew Lowe <agl <at> wht.com.au> writes:

> If someone can tell me how, or point me to a webpage that tells me how,
> to do the patching it would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few links for your perusal:

http://devmanual.gentoo.org/
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=0&chap=0

hth,
James

Old 01-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've had a look on the web but can't seem to find any instructions on
> how to do the patching of ebuilds. I have the situation where I've tried to
> install the media centre app MMSV2. I've done the emerge, a lot of dependent
> functionality was compiled and now it's up to compiling the actual MMSV2.
> When compiling, an error happens. I had a look in bugs.gentoo.org and there
> is a bug in there that covers, I think, the failure.
>
> Attached to the bug is a patch that someone has developed. I now want
> to use this patch to patch the ebuild and see if it really does fix the
> problem. My problem is that I don't know the actual steps needed to do the
> patching. I know about the patch utility but I don't know where the actual
> files are, and how I should do the patching so that Portage does not view
> the patched files as corrupt and therefore won't do the emerge.
>
> If someone can tell me how, or point me to a webpage that tells me
> how, to do the patching it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew

You can usually use the "ebuild" command to do the portage steps
separately, so after unpacking you can change to the portage tmpdir
and apply the patch from bugzilla. Then proceed with the making and
installing steps with "ebuild".