Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default X11 fails after reboot (using a new X11)

Hi,

after reboot X11 fails with
(II) Initializing extension GLX
(EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))

I have
x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4
x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r1
installed on a x86-64 machine.

Has anybody an idea what's going on?

Many thanks for your help,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Justin

Helmut Jarausch schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> after reboot X11 fails with
> (II) Initializing extension GLX
> (EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))
>
> I have
> x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4
> x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r1
> installed on a x86-64 machine.
>
> Has anybody an idea what's going on?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
> Helmut.

Can give some more infos please, USE etc?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 29 Jan, Justin wrote:
> Helmut Jarausch schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> after reboot X11 fails with
>> (II) Initializing extension GLX
>> (EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))
>>
>> I have
>> x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4
>> x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r1
>> installed on a x86-64 machine.
>>
>> Has anybody an idea what's going on?
>>
>> Many thanks for your help,
>> Helmut.
>>
> Can give some more infos please, USE etc?

Installed versions: 1.5.3-r1(09:46:41 01/29/09)(hal input_devices_evdev input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 nptl sdl video_cards_nv xorg
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-180.22

I vaguely remember having removed the 'hal' use flag for some time.
Now, I have reinstalled x11-base/xorg-server after adding 'hal' to my
/etc/make.conf
But probably there are further x11 packages which need to be reemerged.

But on an another machine I'm running these x11 versions without 'hal'.
So, there must be a different cause of the problem.

Thanks,
Helmut.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Dale

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 29 Jan, Justin wrote:
>
>> Helmut Jarausch schrieb:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> after reboot X11 fails with
>>> (II) Initializing extension GLX
>>> (EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))
>>>
>>> I have
>>> x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4
>>> x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r1
>>> installed on a x86-64 machine.
>>>
>>> Has anybody an idea what's going on?
>>>
>>> Many thanks for your help,
>>> Helmut.
>>>

>> Can give some more infos please, USE etc?
>>

> Installed versions: 1.5.3-r1(09:46:41 01/29/09)(hal input_devices_evdev input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 nptl sdl video_cards_nv xorg
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-180.22
>
> I vaguely remember having removed the 'hal' use flag for some time.
> Now, I have reinstalled x11-base/xorg-server after adding 'hal' to my
> /etc/make.conf
> But probably there are further x11 packages which need to be reemerged.
>
> But on an another machine I'm running these x11 versions without 'hal'.
> So, there must be a different cause of the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Helmut.

Maybe try emerge -uvDNp world and see if the USE flags are changed. If
they have, remove the p and let it rebuild. The -N is the big part here.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Justin

Helmut Jarausch schrieb:
> On 29 Jan, Justin wrote:
>> Helmut Jarausch schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> after reboot X11 fails with
>>> (II) Initializing extension GLX
>>> (EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))
>>>
>>> I have
>>> x11-base/xorg-x11-7.4
>>> x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r1
>>> installed on a x86-64 machine.
>>>
>>> Has anybody an idea what's going on?
>>>
>>> Many thanks for your help,
>>> Helmut.
>>>
>> Can give some more infos please, USE etc?
>>
> Installed versions: 1.5.3-r1(09:46:41 01/29/09)(hal input_devices_evdev input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 nptl sdl video_cards_nv xorg
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-180.22

if you are using the closed source drivers, you should add nvidia
instead of nv to your ${VIDEO_CARDS} in the make.conf
> I vaguely remember having removed the 'hal' use flag for some time.
> Now, I have reinstalled x11-base/xorg-server after adding 'hal' to my
> /etc/make.conf
be sure the hald is running before starting the X.
> But probably there are further x11 packages which need to be reemerged.
>
> But on an another machine I'm running these x11 versions without 'hal'.
> So, there must be a different cause of the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Helmut.

Never test packages if it is urgent to recover a working state, !

P.s. past your xorg.conf, just to be sure that there is now problem

Old 01-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:01:18 +0100, Justin wrote:

> Never test packages if it is urgent to recover a working state, !

Or, at the very least, use quickpkg on the working version first.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Of course, I could switch back to Windows. At least there, if I have a
problem, I don't suffer under the illusion that I could ever fix it." -

Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Justin

Neil Bothwick schrieb:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:01:18 +0100, Justin wrote:
>
>> Never test packages if it is urgent to recover a working state, !
>
> Or, at the very least, use quickpkg on the working version first.

Yeah , let's put our fingers together in his wounds!! :=)