Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Andrew Lowe

Default Patching of ebuilds

Hi all,
I've had a look on the web but can't seem to find any instructions on
how to do the patching of ebuilds. I have the situation where I've tried
to install the media centre app MMSV2. I've done the emerge, a lot of
dependent functionality was compiled and now it's up to compiling the
actual MMSV2. When compiling, an error happens. I had a look in
bugs.gentoo.org and there is a bug in there that covers, I think, the
failure.

Attached to the bug is a patch that someone has developed. I now want
to use this patch to patch the ebuild and see if it really does fix the
problem. My problem is that I don't know the actual steps needed to do
the patching. I know about the patch utility but I don't know where the
actual files are, and how I should do the patching so that Portage does
not view the patched files as corrupt and therefore won't do the emerge.

If someone can tell me how, or point me to a webpage that tells me how,
to do the patching it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Andrew

Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Justin