Old 01-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Grant

Default wlan0 promiscuous mode

Does anyone know how to put my USB wireless network adapter into
promiscuous mode so I can see everything that's happening wirelessley
on my network in wireshark?

- Grant

Old 01-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to put my USB wireless network adapter into
> promiscuous mode so I can see everything that's happening wirelessley
> on my network in wireshark?

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor

Something like that. Not sure if the Gentoo Way(tm) is different but
that's the command I use in BackTrack live CD

Old 01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Miernik

Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to put my USB wireless network adapter into
> promiscuous mode so I can see everything that's happening wirelessley
> on my network in wireshark?

ifconfig eth1 promisc

But at least tcpdump puts the interface into promiscous mode
automatically, so there is a chance that wireshark does the same.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Dominic Kexel

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:17:18 +0100
Miernik <public@public.miernik.name> wrote:

> Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to put my USB wireless network adapter into
> > promiscuous mode so I can see everything that's happening wirelessley
> > on my network in wireshark?
>
> ifconfig eth1 promisc
>
> But at least tcpdump puts the interface into promiscous mode
> automatically, so there is a chance that wireshark does the same.

Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:

airmon-ng start wlan0

--
Dominic Kexel <nexenta@evil-monkey-in-my-closet.com>

Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Saphirus Sage

Dominic Kexel wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:17:18 +0100
> Miernik <public@public.miernik.name> wrote:
>

>> Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know how to put my USB wireless network adapter into
>>> promiscuous mode so I can see everything that's happening wirelessley
>>> on my network in wireshark?
>>>
>> ifconfig eth1 promisc
>>
>> But at least tcpdump puts the interface into promiscous mode
>> automatically, so there is a chance that wireshark does the same.
>>

> Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:
>
> airmon-ng start wlan0

Or, depnending on your driver, you could try:
ifconfig wlan1 down
iwconfig wlan1 mode monitor
ifconfig wlan1 up
airodump-ng wlan0

This is assuming you have the wireless-tools emerged.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Grant

>> > Does anyone know how to put my USB wireless network adapter into
>> > promiscuous mode so I can see everything that's happening wirelessley
>> > on my network in wireshark?
>>
>> ifconfig eth1 promisc
>>
>> But at least tcpdump puts the interface into promiscous mode
>> automatically, so there is a chance that wireshark does the same.
>>

> Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:
>
> airmon-ng start wlan0

Thanks everyone. I didn't realize it but monitor mode is what I'm
after. aircrack-ng looks interesting too. Is there something similar
with a GUI? airsnort seems to be discontinued. What is iw for?

- Grant

Old 01-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Saphirus Sage

Grant wrote:

>>> ifconfig eth1 promisc
>>>
>>> But at least tcpdump puts the interface into promiscous mode
>>> automatically, so there is a chance that wireshark does the same.
>>>

>> Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:
>>
>> airmon-ng start wlan0
>>

> Thanks everyone. I didn't realize it but monitor mode is what I'm
> after. aircrack-ng looks interesting too. Is there something similar
> with a GUI? airsnort seems to be discontinued. What is iw for?
>
> - Grant

iwconfig is the command in the "wireless-tools" package to configure a
wireless interface.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Grant

>>> Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:
>>>
>>> airmon-ng start wlan0
>>>

>> Thanks everyone. I didn't realize it but monitor mode is what I'm
>> after. aircrack-ng looks interesting too. Is there something similar
>> with a GUI? airsnort seems to be discontinued. What is iw for?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> iwconfig is the command in the "wireless-tools" package to configure a
> wireless interface.

I'm sorry, I meant the "iw" package in portage.

- Grant

Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> ifconfig eth1 promisc
>>>
>>> But at least tcpdump puts the interface into promiscous mode
>>> automatically, so there is a chance that wireshark does the same.
>>>

>> Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:
>>
>> airmon-ng start wlan0
>
> Thanks everyone. I didn't realize it but monitor mode is what I'm
> after. aircrack-ng looks interesting too. Is there something similar
> with a GUI? airsnort seems to be discontinued. What is iw for?

iw - show / manipulate wireless devices and their configuration

Usage: iw [options] command
--debug enable netlink debugging
--version show version
Commands:
help
event
list
phy <phyname> info
dev <devname> set channel <channel> [HT20|HT40+|HT40-]
phy <phyname> set channel <channel> [HT20|HT40+|HT40-]
dev <devname> set freq <freq> [HT20|HT40+|HT40-]
phy <phyname> set freq <freq> [HT20|HT40+|HT40-]
phy <phyname> set name <new name>
dev <devname> set meshid <meshid>
dev <devname> set monitor <flag> [...]
dev <devname> info
dev <devname> del
<meshid>] [flags ...]
<meshid>] [flags ...]
dev <devname> station dump
dev <devname> station set <MAC address> plink_action <open|block>
dev <devname> station del <MAC address>
dev <devname> station get <MAC address>
dev <devname> mpath dump
dev <devname> mpath set <destination MAC address> next_hop
<next hop MAC address>
dev <devname> mpath new <destination MAC address> next_hop
<next hop MAC address>
dev <devname> mpath del <MAC address>
dev <devname> mpath get <MAC address>
reg set <ISO/IEC 3166-1 alpha2>
dev <devname> get mesh_param <param>

Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 AM
Grant

>>> Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:
>>>
>>> airmon-ng start wlan0
>>
>> Thanks everyone. I didn't realize it but monitor mode is what I'm
>> after. aircrack-ng looks interesting too. Is there something similar
>> with a GUI? airsnort seems to be discontinued. What is iw for?
>
> iw - show / manipulate wireless devices and their configuration
>
> Usage: iw [options] command
> --debug enable netlink debugging
> --version show version
> Commands:
> help
> event
> list
> phy <phyname> info
> dev <devname> set channel <channel> [HT20|HT40+|HT40-]
> phy <phyname> set channel <channel> [HT20|HT40+|HT40-]
> dev <devname> set freq <freq> [HT20|HT40+|HT40-]
> phy <phyname> set freq <freq> [HT20|HT40+|HT40-]
> phy <phyname> set name <new name>
> dev <devname> set meshid <meshid>
> dev <devname> set monitor <flag> [...]
> dev <devname> info
> dev <devname> del
> <meshid>] [flags ...]
> <meshid>] [flags ...]
> dev <devname> station dump
> dev <devname> station set <MAC address> plink_action <open|block>
> dev <devname> station del <MAC address>
> dev <devname> station get <MAC address>
> dev <devname> mpath dump
> dev <devname> mpath set <destination MAC address> next_hop
> <next hop MAC address>
> dev <devname> mpath new <destination MAC address> next_hop
> <next hop MAC address>
> dev <devname> mpath del <MAC address>
> dev <devname> mpath get <MAC address>
> reg set <ISO/IEC 3166-1 alpha2>
> dev <devname> get mesh_param <param>

Are we talking about the same thing?

iw: "nl80211 userspace tool for use with aircrack-ng"

- Grant