Old 01-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Joshua Murphy

Default how to hold a package at a specific version (so emerge -uD world doesn't change it)?

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Miernik <public@public.miernik.name> wrote:
> I am doing a 'emerge -uD' but one of the packages the version currently
> in portage doesn't compile, so I want to keep my current version, and
> prevent emerge from trying to update it. How can I put a package on hold
> (like in Debian)?
>
> I tried inserting:
>
> =x11-wm/awesome-3.1-r1 ~amd64
>
> in /etc/portage/package.keywords
>
> but 'emerge -uD world' still tries to build x11-wm/awesome-3.1.1
> which fails, so the whole process is stopped.

echo >x11-wm/awesome-3.1-r1 >> /etc/portage/package.mask
# and to prevent downgrades
echo <x11-wm/awesome-3.1-r1 >> /etc/portage/package.mask

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:48:37 -0500, Joshua Murphy wrote:
>
>> > =x11-wm/awesome-3.1-r1 ~amd64
>> >
>> > in /etc/portage/package.keywords
>> >
>> > but 'emerge -uD world' still tries to build x11-wm/awesome-3.1.1
>> > which fails, so the whole process is stopped.
>>
>> echo >x11-wm/awesome-3.1-r1 >> /etc/portage/package.mask
>> # and to prevent downgrades
>
> That blocks all future updates, not just the broken one.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> If there is light at the end of the tunnel...order more tunnel.

Ah... I didn't read closely what the reason for wanting to hold at the
current version was, in the little time I had at that moment I just
threw an answer to the exact question in the title of the mail...
"hold a package at a specific version" ... you're right, though, for
the given reasons they're likely far better off only blocking the
problematic one.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy