Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Paul Hartman

Default Internet radio?

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:30:38 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> I give up. I'm at 17 packages I have to unmask and I don't know how to
>> get portage to give me the list of all packages that have to be
>> unmasked.
>
> emerge autounmask.

seconded, autounmask is the best invention since electricity

Old 01-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:30:38 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> I give up. I'm at 17 packages I have to unmask and I don't know how to
>>> get portage to give me the list of all packages that have to be
>>> unmasked.
>>
>> emerge autounmask.
>
> seconded, autounmask is the best invention since electricity

Yeah - once I figured out what it was doing it was a perfect solution.
I ended up with 31 packages added to package.keywords and 12 to
package.unmask. Big time saver.

The one thing I'm not liking about it was it is that it created
/etc/portagexs which now stops me from bash auto-completing my tab
commands the way I'm used to doing it for all these years. A trade
off...

thanks,
Mark

Old 01-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Nick Cunningham <nick@monkeydust.net> wrote:

> 2009/1/27 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't understand what Slingbox has to do with internet radio. Amarok
>> > 2 (not gnome) has hundreds of internet radio stations in it...
>> >
>> > I think most of them are just mp3 streams, so if you get the URL from
>> > anywhere out there on the web you should be able to play it with any
>> > media player I would think. Check out shoutcast.com.
>>
>> Am I wrong about the product name? It was specifically a stand alone
>> Internet radio player. It looks like a clock radio almost that sits by
>> the bed. I'm not finding it on their site now. Wonder if they
>> discontinued it? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong company. It used to
>> show up on the Pandora site but I don't see it there either.
>>
>> Anyway, I should have stated that he has almost no interest in
>> listening to music. He wants to listen to news form around the world.
>> BBC, NPR and whatever he can find.
>>
>> I was looking at Amarok 2 based on your other thread and that reminded
>> me about this topic. I didn't want to hijack that thread though.
>>
>> What keywords are required to get Amarok 2 to build? I'm not clear
>> what ~*2.0.1.1 means.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>

> Be aware that amarok2 is currently broken on amd64 (hence the mask) due to
> problems with mysql (which it now requires by default). If you look back in
> the archives there have been threads explaining how to work around it and
> get mysql working so amarok2 builds ok.
>
> - Nick

Thanks. I'm going to build it on ~x86 instead.

cheers,
Mark

Old 01-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Nick Cunningham <nick@monkeydust.net> wrote:

> 2009/1/27 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't understand what Slingbox has to do with internet radio. Amarok
>> > 2 (not gnome) has hundreds of internet radio stations in it...
>> >
>> > I think most of them are just mp3 streams, so if you get the URL from
>> > anywhere out there on the web you should be able to play it with any
>> > media player I would think. Check out shoutcast.com.
>>
>> Am I wrong about the product name? It was specifically a stand alone
>> Internet radio player. It looks like a clock radio almost that sits by
>> the bed. I'm not finding it on their site now. Wonder if they
>> discontinued it? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong company. It used to
>> show up on the Pandora site but I don't see it there either.
>>
>> Anyway, I should have stated that he has almost no interest in
>> listening to music. He wants to listen to news form around the world.
>> BBC, NPR and whatever he can find.
>>
>> I was looking at Amarok 2 based on your other thread and that reminded
>> me about this topic. I didn't want to hijack that thread though.
>>
>> What keywords are required to get Amarok 2 to build? I'm not clear
>> what ~*2.0.1.1 means.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>

> Be aware that amarok2 is currently broken on amd64 (hence the mask) due to
> problems with mysql (which it now requires by default). If you look back in
> the archives there have been threads explaining how to work around it and
> get mysql working so amarok2 builds ok.
>
> - Nick

I'm using the live build (amarok-9999 from kde-testing overlay) as for
the past week or two, it built & works (with the previously mentioned
quirks) on my ~amd64 with kde 4.2 and mysql built with PIC as
described in the other thread.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:51:23 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> The one thing I'm not liking about it was it is that it created
> /etc/portagexs which now stops me from bash auto-completing my tab
> commands the way I'm used to doing it for all these years. A trade
> off...

That's fixed in the latest PortageXS, which autounmask uses. It now keeps
its configs in /etc/pxs.

--
Neil Bothwick

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin
Franklin

Old 01-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 23:41:32 Mark Knecht wrote:

> I should have stated that he has almost no interest in listening to music.
> He wants to listen to news form around the world. BBC, NPR and whatever he
> can find.

I don't know whether the BBC streams in mp3 or just allows you to download
things in that format. Its main streaming service uses the REAL protocol
these days.

--
Rgds
Peter