Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Internet radio?

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My dad is interested in some sort of an Internet Radio app for his
>> Gnome desktop. He was thinking of buying a Slingbox but has backed off
>> the idea. For a while we played with iTunes under Wine but that's sort
>> of a mess so I'm looking for something native to Linux.
>
> I don't understand what Slingbox has to do with internet radio. Amarok
> 2 (not gnome) has hundreds of internet radio stations in it...
>
> I think most of them are just mp3 streams, so if you get the URL from
> anywhere out there on the web you should be able to play it with any
> media player I would think. Check out shoutcast.com.

Am I wrong about the product name? It was specifically a stand alone
Internet radio player. It looks like a clock radio almost that sits by
the bed. I'm not finding it on their site now. Wonder if they
discontinued it? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong company. It used to
show up on the Pandora site but I don't see it there either.

Anyway, I should have stated that he has almost no interest in
listening to music. He wants to listen to news form around the world.
BBC, NPR and whatever he can find.

I was looking at Amarok 2 based on your other thread and that reminded
me about this topic. I didn't want to hijack that thread though.

What keywords are required to get Amarok 2 to build? I'm not clear
what ~*2.0.1.1 means.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My dad is interested in some sort of an Internet Radio app for his
>>> Gnome desktop. He was thinking of buying a Slingbox but has backed off
>>> the idea. For a while we played with iTunes under Wine but that's sort
>>> of a mess so I'm looking for something native to Linux.
>>
>> I don't understand what Slingbox has to do with internet radio. Amarok
>> 2 (not gnome) has hundreds of internet radio stations in it...
>>
>> I think most of them are just mp3 streams, so if you get the URL from
>> anywhere out there on the web you should be able to play it with any
>> media player I would think. Check out shoutcast.com.
>
> Am I wrong about the product name? It was specifically a stand alone
> Internet radio player. It looks like a clock radio almost that sits by
> the bed. I'm not finding it on their site now. Wonder if they
> discontinued it? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong company. It used to
> show up on the Pandora site but I don't see it there either.
>
> Anyway, I should have stated that he has almost no interest in
> listening to music. He wants to listen to news form around the world.
> BBC, NPR and whatever he can find.
>
> I was looking at Amarok 2 based on your other thread and that reminded
> me about this topic. I didn't want to hijack that thread though.
>
> What keywords are required to get Amarok 2 to build? I'm not clear
> what ~*2.0.1.1 means.

Slingbox is for streaming your TV to and remotely controlling it from
a PC or Cell Phone. (I've got one -- doesn't work on Linux, though.
booo)

My dad has one of those portable internet radios, I don't know the
name but it works well and he seems to be pleased with it. (As long as
you're in wifi range)

Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

>> What keywords are required to get Amarok 2 to build? I'm not clear
>> what ~*2.0.1.1 means.

So from the man page it says that ~* means:

"This version is "masked by missing keyword", stable on no
architecture, but unstable
on an alien architecture."

Is there a way for me to build this for an amd64 machine? I tried
portage.keywords with:

media-sound/amarok ~amd64 *~

Do I need something in portage.unmask?

> Slingbox is for streaming your TV to and remotely controlling it from
> a PC or Cell Phone. (I've got one -- doesn't work on Linux, though.
> booo)
>
> My dad has one of those portable internet radios, I don't know the
> name but it works well and he seems to be pleased with it. (As long as
> you're in wifi range)

So is it the same company? I remember it being the same guys. I'm
thinking maybe they dropped the product. No matter. Mostly just
confusion on my part.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Kenneth Prugh

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:03:41 -0800
Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >>
> >> What keywords are required to get Amarok 2 to build? I'm not clear
> >> what ~*2.0.1.1 means.
>
> So from the man page it says that ~* means:
>
> "This version is "masked by missing keyword", stable on no
> architecture, but unstable
> on an alien architecture."
>
> Is there a way for me to build this for an amd64 machine? I tried
> portage.keywords with:
>
> media-sound/amarok ~amd64 *~
>
> Do I need something in portage.unmask?

Masked by missing keyword requires:

media-sound/amarok **

in package.keywords if I remember correctly

Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Kenneth Prugh <ken69267@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:03:41 -0800
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <SNIP>

>> So from the man page it says that ~* means:
>>
>> "This version is "masked by missing keyword", stable on no
>> architecture, but unstable
>> on an alien architecture."
>>
>> Is there a way for me to build this for an amd64 machine? I tried
>> portage.keywords with:
>>
>> media-sound/amarok ~amd64 *~
>>
>> Do I need something in portage.unmask?
>>

> Masked by missing keyword requires:
>
> media-sound/amarok **
>
> in package.keywords if I remember correctly

Thanks. That does seem to wake things up.

Not sure now if I want to do this. It's forcing me to unmask lots of
KDE-4 packages and also to rebuild mysql with an 'embedded' flag. I
seem to remember something about that causing problems for mythtv. Not
sure.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Kenneth Prugh <ken69267@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:03:41 -0800
>> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Paul Hartman
>>> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> <SNIP>

>>> So from the man page it says that ~* means:
>>>
>>> "This version is "masked by missing keyword", stable on no
>>> architecture, but unstable
>>> on an alien architecture."
>>>
>>> Is there a way for me to build this for an amd64 machine? I tried
>>> portage.keywords with:
>>>
>>> media-sound/amarok ~amd64 *~
>>>
>>> Do I need something in portage.unmask?
>>>

>> Masked by missing keyword requires:
>>
>> media-sound/amarok **
>>
>> in package.keywords if I remember correctly
>>

> Thanks. That does seem to wake things up.
>
> Not sure now if I want to do this. It's forcing me to unmask lots of
> KDE-4 packages and also to rebuild mysql with an 'embedded' flag. I
> seem to remember something about that causing problems for mythtv. Not
> sure.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I give up. I'm at 17 packages I have to unmask and I don't know how to
get portage to give me the list of all packages that have to be
unmasked. This jsut goes on and on, one package at a time.

I think it's not reasonable for me to build this at this time.

Thanks for your help,
Mark

media-sound/amarok ~amd64 **
>=kde-base/plasma-workspace-4.1 ~amd64
>=kde-base/kdepimlibs-3.1 ~amd64
>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.1 ~amd64
>=dev-util/cmake-2.6.2 ~amd64
>=app-misc/strigi-0.5.7 ~amd64
dev-libs/soprano ~amd64
>=kde-base/kdebase-data-4.1 ~amd64
>=kde-base/qimageblitz-0.0.4 ~amd64
>=media-sound/phonon-4.2.0 ~amd64
>=kde-base/automoc-0.9.87 ~amd64
app-office/akonadi-server ~amd64

Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2009-01-28, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> I give up. I'm at 17 packages I have to unmask and I don't
> know how to get portage to give me the list of all packages
> that have to be unmasked. This jsut goes on and on, one
> package at a time.

Yup, that's pretty annoying. I've been through that exercise a
couple times: running an emerge 20-30 times -- each time
getting one more package name to unmask. Each time thinking
that there must be some magic equery or emerge incantation that
will give me the whole list, but there can't be _that_ many more
packges left, so I'll just run emerge one more time...

--
Grant

Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:30:38 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I give up. I'm at 17 packages I have to unmask and I don't know how to
> get portage to give me the list of all packages that have to be
> unmasked.

emerge autounmask.

--
Neil Bothwick

Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away

Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:03:41 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > My dad has one of those portable internet radios, I don't know the
> > name but it works well and he seems to be pleased with it. (As long as
> > you're in wifi range)

> So is it the same company? I remember it being the same guys. I'm
> thinking maybe they dropped the product.

Several companies make Internet/Wi-Fi enabled radios. Google for wifi
internet radio.

--
Neil Bothwick

I am McCoy of Borg. He's assimilated, Jim!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:03:41 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> > My dad has one of those portable internet radios, I don't know the
>> > name but it works well and he seems to be pleased with it. (As long as
>> > you're in wifi range)
>
>> So is it the same company? I remember it being the same guys. I'm
>> thinking maybe they dropped the product.
>
> Several companies make Internet/Wi-Fi enabled radios. Google for wifi
> internet radio.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

Thanks. That shows it was Roku I was thinking of and not SlingMedia.

Roku make the SoundBridge Radio. I guess what I'd be looking for in
portage is something similar in software. Amarok 2 looks interesting.
MAybe the autounmerge will give me a better idea what I'm up against
to build it.

Thanks,
Mark