Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Internet radio?

My dad is interested in some sort of an Internet Radio app for his
Gnome desktop. He was thinking of buying a Slingbox but has backed off
the idea. For a while we played with iTunes under Wine but that's sort
of a mess so I'm looking for something native to Linux.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Chris Thomas

Does he want to stream audio or listen to streaming audio? If he just
wants to listen Rhythmbox (and most audio players) can do that. If he
wants to stream, look at icecast. If he buys a slingbox he'll need to
run the slingbox software under wine.

-Chris

Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> My dad is interested in some sort of an Internet Radio app for his
> Gnome desktop. He was thinking of buying a Slingbox but has backed off
> the idea. For a while we played with iTunes under Wine but that's sort
> of a mess so I'm looking for something native to Linux.

I don't understand what Slingbox has to do with internet radio. Amarok
2 (not gnome) has hundreds of internet radio stations in it...

I think most of them are just mp3 streams, so if you get the URL from
anywhere out there on the web you should be able to play it with any
media player I would think. Check out shoutcast.com.