Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Paul Hartman

Default Crossover Office and Word 2007

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Peter Ruskin
<peter.ruskin@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> On Monday 26 January 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Other than Office 2007 is there any software out there that can
>> *write* .docx?
>>
>> Work requires me to use this format sometimes (it's not
>> negotiable) and I can get around it 95% of the time, but the 5%
>> causes me insane amounts of grief. Even though Office2007 runs
>> perfectly well in CrossOver, I have to put up with that stupid
>> bouncing ribbon, menus that are not there and <shock> <horror>
>> <disgust> a productivity app that insists on launching all it's
>> windows undecorated (this last is the worst of the worst...).
>>
>> Ooo-3 can read these docs but not write them.
>
> As far as I can see, Ooo-3 _can_ write MSOffice files. Just open
> any OpenOffice document and try "Save As".

Does not support writing Office 2007 OOXML format on OOo 3.0 here.
Only old Office 97-2003 (binary .doc) format.

I think Go-OO has an odf-converter program that can convert OOo
documents to OOXML but I don't think there is a gentoo package and
last time I read about it, it was very raw (you'll lose
data/formatting when converting).

Paul

Old 01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Nick Cunningham

2009/1/26 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com>

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Peter Ruskin

<peter.ruskin@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> On Monday 26 January 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:

>> Hi all,

>> Other than Office 2007 is there any software out there that can

>> *write* .docx?

>> Work requires me to use this format sometimes (it's not

>> negotiable) and I can get around it 95% of the time, but the 5%

>> causes me insane amounts of grief. Even though Office2007 runs

>> perfectly well in CrossOver, I have to put up with that stupid

>> bouncing ribbon, menus that are not there and <shock> <horror>

>> <disgust> a productivity app that insists on launching all it's

>> windows undecorated (this last is the worst of the worst...).

>> Ooo-3 can read these docs but not write them.

> As far as I can see, Ooo-3 _can_ write MSOffice files. *Just open

> any OpenOffice document and try "Save As".

Does not support writing Office 2007 OOXML format on OOo 3.0 here.

Only old Office 97-2003 (binary .doc) format.

I think Go-OO has an odf-converter program that can convert OOo

documents to OOXML but I don't think there is a gentoo package and

last time I read about it, it was very raw (you'll lose

data/formatting when converting).

Paul

I believe if you build OO from source using portage you get GO-OO, however if you use OO-bin you just get the plain OO package.

- Nick

Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 26 January 2009 23:23:18 Robert Bridge wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Other than Office 2007 is there any software out there that can *write*
> > .docx?
> >
> > Work requires me to use this format sometimes (it's not negotiable) and I
> > can get around it 95% of the time, but the 5% causes me insane amounts of
> > grief. Even though Office2007 runs perfectly well in CrossOver, I have to
> > put up with that stupid bouncing ribbon, menus that are not there and
> > all it's windows undecorated (this last is the worst of the worst...).
> >
> > Ooo-3 can read these docs but not write them.
>
> Why can't you use .doc? Anything that can read .docx can read .doc no
> problems. I know in work, we are pretty much pushing the sections with
> Office 2007 (2008) to use .doc and not .docx...

I tried that stunt, and got LARTed with a clue-by-four by my boss's boss :-)

You'll note that I asked for apps that can *write* .docx. We have this thing,
commissioned by the company's parent company, called SharePoint.

The budget system is on it, the finance managers all use 2007 and the entire
SharePoint is almost exclusively 2007 formats. Now, I don't mind ignoring
management types, but I think not being able to upgrade the .za auth name
servers because Alan can't write to docx is a very weak excuse (even for me)

:-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Dale

Nick Cunningham wrote:

> 2009/1/26 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com
> <mailtoaul.hartman%2Bgentoo@gmail.com>>
>
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Peter Ruskin
> <peter.ruskin@dsl.pipex.com <mailtoeter.ruskin@dsl.pipex.com>>
> wrote:
> > On Monday 26 January 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Other than Office 2007 is there any software out there that can
> >> *write* .docx?
> >>
> >> Work requires me to use this format sometimes (it's not
> >> negotiable) and I can get around it 95% of the time, but the 5%
> >> causes me insane amounts of grief. Even though Office2007 runs
> >> perfectly well in CrossOver, I have to put up with that stupid
> >> bouncing ribbon, menus that are not there and <shock> <horror>
> >> <disgust> a productivity app that insists on launching all it's
> >> windows undecorated (this last is the worst of the worst...).
> >>
> >> Ooo-3 can read these docs but not write them.
> >
> > As far as I can see, Ooo-3 _can_ write MSOffice files. Just open
> > any OpenOffice document and try "Save As".
>
> Does not support writing Office 2007 OOXML format on OOo 3.0 here.
> Only old Office 97-2003 (binary .doc) format.
>
> I think Go-OO has an odf-converter program that can convert OOo
> documents to OOXML but I don't think there is a gentoo package and
> last time I read about it, it was very raw (you'll lose
> data/formatting when converting).
>
> Paul
>

> I believe if you build OO from source using portage you get GO-OO,
> however if you use OO-bin you just get the plain OO package.
>
> - Nick

Compiled from source here and I don't see that. Where exactly is it?
Maybe I am missing something.

I did check both save as and export with no mention of docx.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 26 January 2009 23:38:46 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Peter Ruskin
>
> <peter.ruskin@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 26 January 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Other than Office 2007 is there any software out there that can
> >> *write* .docx?
> >>
> >> Work requires me to use this format sometimes (it's not
> >> negotiable) and I can get around it 95% of the time, but the 5%
> >> causes me insane amounts of grief. Even though Office2007 runs
> >> perfectly well in CrossOver, I have to put up with that stupid
> >> bouncing ribbon, menus that are not there and <shock> <horror>
> >> <disgust> a productivity app that insists on launching all it's
> >> windows undecorated (this last is the worst of the worst...).
> >>
> >> Ooo-3 can read these docs but not write them.
> >
> > As far as I can see, Ooo-3 _can_ write MSOffice files. Just open
> > any OpenOffice document and try "Save As".
>
> Does not support writing Office 2007 OOXML format on OOo 3.0 here.
> Only old Office 97-2003 (binary .doc) format.
>
> I think Go-OO has an odf-converter program that can convert OOo
> documents to OOXML but I don't think there is a gentoo package and
> last time I read about it, it was very raw (you'll lose
> data/formatting when converting).

I have a stock standard openoffice-3.0.0 here (not bin) and it claims to write
Office 2003 XML. I believe from colleagues that this is not the same as
2007 .docx and I believe them as my Office 2003 in Crossover cannot
open .docx

I could be wrong though - I don't know all the ins and outs of MS's latest
format decisions

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Alan McKinnon wrote:
I have a stock standard openoffice-3.0.0 here (not bin) and it claims to write
Office 2003 XML. I believe from colleagues that this is not the same as
2007 .docx and I believe them as my Office 2003 in Crossover cannot
open .docx

I could be wrong though - I don't know all the ins and outs of MS's latest
format decisions

You can write in 2003 format. I think Office 2007 should open them just
fine, or?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Nick Cunningham <nick@monkeydust.net> wrote:

> 2009/1/26 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com>
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Peter Ruskin
>> <peter.ruskin@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>> > As far as I can see, Ooo-3 _can_ write MSOffice files. Just open
>> > any OpenOffice document and try "Save As".
>>
>> Does not support writing Office 2007 OOXML format on OOo 3.0 here.
>> Only old Office 97-2003 (binary .doc) format.
>>
>> I think Go-OO has an odf-converter program that can convert OOo
>> documents to OOXML but I don't think there is a gentoo package and
>> last time I read about it, it was very raw (you'll lose
>> data/formatting when converting).
>>
>> Paul
>>

> I believe if you build OO from source using portage you get GO-OO, however
> if you use OO-bin you just get the plain OO package.
>
> - Nick

I meant that Go-OO (the organization) has such a program, not that it
is included in the Go-OO build of OpenOffice.

I think it is based on:

http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/

which is a Windows .NET program for converting between ODF and OOXML formats.

I also found a Novell build:

http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=GuM6LMM9SR4

Again, I've never tried any of this. I found it easier to install
Windows in Vmware and be done with it.

Paul

Old 01-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 00:16:04 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > I have a stock standard openoffice-3.0.0 here (not bin) and it claims to
> > write Office 2003 XML. I believe from colleagues that this is not the
> > same as 2007 .docx and I believe them as my Office 2003 in Crossover
> > cannot open .docx
> >
> > I could be wrong though - I don't know all the ins and outs of MS's
> > latest format decisions
>
> You can write in 2003 format. I think Office 2007 should open them just
> fine, or?

These are shared documents. I can't just change what they are based on my own
preferences.

I need an app that WRITES .docx. If Office 2007 is the only one that does it,
so be it. But a workaround or another way to skin this cat is not what I need
here.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Alan McKinnon schrieb am 26.01.2009 21:11:
> Hi all,
>
> Other than Office 2007 is there any software out there that can *write* .docx?
>
> Work requires me to use this format sometimes (it's not negotiable) and I can
> get around it 95% of the time, but the 5% causes me insane amounts of grief.
> Even though Office2007 runs perfectly well in CrossOver, I have to put up
> with that stupid bouncing ribbon, menus that are not there and <shock>
> <horror> <disgust> a productivity app that insists on launching all it's
> windows undecorated (this last is the worst of the worst...).
>
> Ooo-3 can read these docs but not write them.

OxygenOffice [1] supports importing and exporting Word 2007 (.docx)
files as well as importing Excel 2007 (.xlsx) and PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx).

From what I read it was planned for ooo3 to able to write .*x but it
seems it did not get in the 3.0 release.

[1]
http://www.oooninja.com/2008/02/word-2007-docx-converter-oxygenoffice.html

Some other links probably worth reading:

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/12/better-office-docx-converter.html
http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-converter-integrator
http://www.oooninja.com/2008/01/openxml-translator-odf-converter-11.html
http://download.go-oo.org/tstnvl/odf-converter/

Regards,

Daniel

Old 01-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 00:46:22 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> Alan McKinnon schrieb am 26.01.2009 21:11:

> > Ooo-3 can read these docs but not write them.
>
> OxygenOffice [1] supports importing and exporting Word 2007 (.docx)
> files as well as importing Excel 2007 (.xlsx) and PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx).
>
> From what I read it was planned for ooo3 to able to write .*x but it
> seems it did not get in the 3.0 release.
>
> [1]
> http://www.oooninja.com/2008/02/word-2007-docx-converter-oxygenoffice.html
>
> Some other links probably worth reading:
>
> http://www.oooninja.com/2008/12/better-office-docx-converter.html
> http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-converter-integrator
> http://www.oooninja.com/2008/01/openxml-translator-odf-converter-11.html
> http://download.go-oo.org/tstnvl/odf-converter/

Thanks for the links Daniel. A quick scan through them seems to show that the
various converters have varying success but none are really completely there
yet. It looks like I'll just have to suffer with the Office 2007 abomination
a little longer, until Ooo-3.x does decent exports.

This is not really one of those things I'm willing to fiddle with and spend
time on. It's *much* more fun getting KDE running on my gf's XP notebook for
example :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com