Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Dale

Default Wireshark on Gentoo

Grant wrote:
> I'm confused on how to run wireshark on Gentoo. The ebuild says:
>
> * With version 0.99.7, all function calls that require elevated privileges
> * have been moved out of the GUI to dumpcap. WIRESHARK CONTAINS OVER ONE
> * POINT FIVE MILLION LINES OF SOURCE CODE. DO NOT RUN THEM AS ROOT.
> *
> * NOTE: To run wireshark as normal user you have to add yourself into
> * wireshark group. This security measure ensures that only trusted
> * users allowed to sniff your traffic.
>
> I added my user to the wireshark group, but there are no interfaces
> listed in the program. I read:
>
> http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges
>
> "Running Wireshark (or any other network capture/analyzer, for that
> matter) on Linux needs root privileges. Therefore, you have to have
> root privileges when starting Wireshark, else you can't capture data."
>
> I'm not sure how to proceed.
>
> - Grant

Works as a user here. Here is some info to compare against.

root@smoker / # emerge -pv wireshark

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] net-analyzer/wireshark-1.0.5 USE="caps gtk ipv6 pcap
pcre zlib -adns -gcrypt -gnutls -kerberos -lua -portaudio -profile
(-selinux) -smi -threads" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
root@smoker / # cat /etc/group | grep wireshark
wireshark:x:444:dale
root@smoker / #

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Grant

>> I'm confused on how to run wireshark on Gentoo. The ebuild says:
>>
>> * With version 0.99.7, all function calls that require elevated privileges
>> * have been moved out of the GUI to dumpcap. WIRESHARK CONTAINS OVER ONE
>> * POINT FIVE MILLION LINES OF SOURCE CODE. DO NOT RUN THEM AS ROOT.
>> *
>> * NOTE: To run wireshark as normal user you have to add yourself into
>> * wireshark group. This security measure ensures that only trusted
>> * users allowed to sniff your traffic.
>>
>> I added my user to the wireshark group, but there are no interfaces
>> listed in the program. I read:
>>
>> http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges
>>
>> "Running Wireshark (or any other network capture/analyzer, for that
>> matter) on Linux needs root privileges. Therefore, you have to have
>> root privileges when starting Wireshark, else you can't capture data."
>>
>> I'm not sure how to proceed.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> Works as a user here. Here is some info to compare against.
>
> root@smoker / # emerge -pv wireshark

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] net-analyzer/wireshark-1.0.5 USE="caps gtk ipv6 pcap
> pcre zlib -adns -gcrypt -gnutls -kerberos -lua -portaudio -profile
> (-selinux) -smi -threads" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
> root@smoker / # cat /etc/group | grep wireshark
> wireshark:x:444:dale
> root@smoker / #
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dale

Thanks Dale, my stuff is very similar to your's. I don't know why it
isn't finding eth0 and wlan0 (USB wireless). I'll ask on the hardened
list in case it's a hardened issue.

- Grant

Old 01-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Marc Joliet

Am Mon, 26 Jan 2009 12:25:33 -0800
schrieb Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com>:

[...]
> Thanks Dale, my stuff is very similar to your's. I don't know why it
> isn't finding eth0 and wlan0 (USB wireless). I'll ask on the hardened
> list in case it's a hardened issue.
>
> - Grant

This is only a guess, but maybe you didn't log out and log back in
again. That is required for the new group membership to take affect.

--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup

Old 01-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Dale

Marc Joliet wrote:
> Am Mon, 26 Jan 2009 12:25:33 -0800
> schrieb Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com>:
>
> [...]
>
>> Thanks Dale, my stuff is very similar to your's. I don't know why it
>> isn't finding eth0 and wlan0 (USB wireless). I'll ask on the hardened
>> list in case it's a hardened issue.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> This is only a guess, but maybe you didn't log out and log back in
> again. That is required for the new group membership to take affect.

Yep, sure is. I did that once. Let's just say I slapped my own
forehead. LOL

Good thing to try.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Grant

> [...]
>>
>> Thanks Dale, my stuff is very similar to your's. I don't know why it
>> isn't finding eth0 and wlan0 (USB wireless). I'll ask on the hardened
>> list in case it's a hardened issue.
>>
>> - Grant
>
> This is only a guess, but maybe you didn't log out and log back in
> again. That is required for the new group membership to take affect.

Yeah that was exactly it. Sorry everyone, I'll take a time-out.

- Grant