I'm confused on how to run wireshark on Gentoo. The ebuild says:
* With version 0.99.7, all function calls that require elevated privileges
* have been moved out of the GUI to dumpcap. WIRESHARK CONTAINS OVER ONE
* POINT FIVE MILLION LINES OF SOURCE CODE. DO NOT RUN THEM AS ROOT.
* NOTE: To run wireshark as normal user you have to add yourself into
* wireshark group. This security measure ensures that only trusted
* users allowed to sniff your traffic.
I added my user to the wireshark group, but there are no interfaces
listed in the program. I read:
"Running Wireshark (or any other network capture/analyzer, for that
matter) on Linux needs root privileges. Therefore, you have to have
root privileges when starting Wireshark, else you can't capture data."