Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Richard Marzan

Default revdep-rebuild

I remember having a similar issue. Try blocking all
gcc versions prior to 4.0. As for uninstalling the current 3.x version -- I
don't know how you would remove it since you need the ebuild script that
initially installed*the current*3.x on your system*to remove it
safely. Have you updated your systems profile (not gcc profile) or*upgraded
portage itself perhaps?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 26 January 2009 12:01:57 Richard Marzan wrote:
> I remember having a similar issue. Try blocking all gcc versions prior to
> 4.0. As for uninstalling the current 3.x version -- I don't know how you
> would remove it since you need the ebuild script that initially installed
> the current 3.x on your system to remove it safely.

ebuilds for installed packages are stored in /var/db/pkg to solve this very
problem.

It's very common to have to unmerge something that is not in the tree anymore.
Plus, it's the only way to guarantee that the ebuild used to uninstall
something is the same ebuild that installed it. ebuilds in the tree can be,
and are, changed without version bumps

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:01:57 -0500, Richard Marzan wrote:

> I don't know how you would remove it since you need the ebuild script
> that initially installed the current 3.x on your system to remove it
> safely.

Which is kept in /var/db/pkg

--
Neil Bothwick

Do Roman paramedics refer to IV's as "4's"?