Old 01-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Willie Wong

Default Strange firefox segfault

Disclaimer: I am using a hardened x86 system.

Just now I updated to Firefox 3.0.5 (which is now keyworded stable). I
found that starting firefox is no problem, nor is basic, normal
browsing. What is a problem is the hot-keys!

In short, if I tried to type Ctrl-N for a New Window or Ctrl-T for a
New Tab, firefox segfaults.

I can click, using the mouse, File->New Window, and the New Window
will start with no problem. I can click File->New Tab, and the New Tab
will start with no problem. I can use middle-click to open a link in
new window with no problem.

I just cannot use the Ctrl-* keyboard short cuts.

I tried this with both my normal profile and an empty profile. The
behaviour is the same.

The strace output looks to me like complete gibberish.

Does anyone else have the problem? What else can I do to check whether
the problem is on my end? If I were to file a bug report, what kind of
information may be useful?

Thanks,

THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
<<<< ladybree@ >>>>
We'll begin with box, the plural is boxes;
But the plural of ox is oxen, not oxes.
One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese,
Yet the plural of moose is never meese.
You may find a lone mouse or a whole nest of mice,
But the plural of house is houses, not hice.
If the plural of man always is men,
Why shouldn't the plural of pan be call pen?
If I speak of a foot and you show me two feet,
And I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?
If the singular is this and the plural these,
Should a plural of kiss ever be keese?
We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
But though we say mother, we never say methren.
Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him,
But imagine the females - she, shis and shim!
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 779 days, 16:53

Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Willie Wong

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:43:01AM +0200, Maxim Kremenev wrote:
> Maybe u try exec firefox in console and send output ?
>
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@princeton.edu> wrote:
>
> > Disclaimer: I am using a hardened x86 system.
> >
> > Just now I updated to Firefox 3.0.5 (which is now keyworded stable). I
> > found that starting firefox is no problem, nor is basic, normal
> > browsing. What is a problem is the hot-keys!
> >
> > In short, if I tried to type Ctrl-N for a New Window or Ctrl-T for a
> > New Tab, firefox segfaults.
> >
> > I can click, using the mouse, File->New Window, and the New Window
> > will start with no problem. I can click File->New Tab, and the New Tab
> > will start with no problem. I can use middle-click to open a link in
> > new window with no problem.
> >
> > I just cannot use the Ctrl-* keyboard short cuts.
> >
> > I tried this with both my normal profile and an empty profile. The
> > behaviour is the same.
> >
> > The strace output looks to me like complete gibberish.
> >
> > Does anyone else have the problem? What else can I do to check whether
> > the problem is on my end? If I were to file a bug report, what kind of
> > information may be useful?

The output is only two words:

"Segmentation Fault"

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Dale

Willie Wong wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:43:01AM +0200, Maxim Kremenev wrote:
>
>> Maybe u try exec firefox in console and send output ?
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@princeton.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> Disclaimer: I am using a hardened x86 system.
>>>
>>> Just now I updated to Firefox 3.0.5 (which is now keyworded stable). I
>>> found that starting firefox is no problem, nor is basic, normal
>>> browsing. What is a problem is the hot-keys!
>>>
>>> In short, if I tried to type Ctrl-N for a New Window or Ctrl-T for a
>>> New Tab, firefox segfaults.
>>>
>>> I can click, using the mouse, File->New Window, and the New Window
>>> will start with no problem. I can click File->New Tab, and the New Tab
>>> will start with no problem. I can use middle-click to open a link in
>>> new window with no problem.
>>>
>>> I just cannot use the Ctrl-* keyboard short cuts.
>>>
>>> I tried this with both my normal profile and an empty profile. The
>>> behaviour is the same.
>>>
>>> The strace output looks to me like complete gibberish.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else have the problem? What else can I do to check whether
>>> the problem is on my end? If I were to file a bug report, what kind of
>>> information may be useful?
>>>

> The output is only two words:
>
> "Segmentation Fault"

How about the output of emerge --info. Maybe there is something there.
Also, processor type as well. I know a loooooong time ago I had some
bad CFLAG settings that gave me that.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Maxim Kremenev

Or maybe extrem LDFLAGS. We want see your /etc/make.conf )

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

Willie Wong wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:43:01AM +0200, Maxim Kremenev wrote:

>> Maybe u try exec firefox in console and send output ?

>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@princeton.edu> wrote:

>>> Disclaimer: I am using a hardened x86 system.

>>> Just now I updated to Firefox 3.0.5 (which is now keyworded stable). I

>>> found that starting firefox is no problem, nor is basic, normal

>>> browsing. What is a problem is the hot-keys!

>>> In short, if I tried to type Ctrl-N for a New Window or Ctrl-T for a

>>> New Tab, firefox segfaults.

>>> I can click, using the mouse, File->New Window, and the New Window

>>> will start with no problem. I can click File->New Tab, and the New Tab

>>> will start with no problem. I can use middle-click to open a link in

>>> new window with no problem.

>>> I just cannot use the Ctrl-* keyboard short cuts.

>>> I tried this with both my normal profile and an empty profile. The

>>> behaviour is the same.

>>> The strace output looks to me like complete gibberish.

>>> Does anyone else have the problem? What else can I do to check whether

>>> the problem is on my end? If I were to file a bug report, what kind of

>>> information may be useful?

> The output is only two words:

> *"Segmentation Fault"

How about the output of emerge --info. *Maybe there is something there.

Also, processor type as well. *I know a loooooong time ago I had some

bad CFLAG settings that gave me that.

Dale

:-) *:-)

Old 01-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:32:54 +0200, Maxim Kremenev wrote:

> Or maybe extrem LDFLAGS. We want see your /etc/make.conf )

LDFLAGS are shown by emerge --info, as requested several pages down in
the text you quoted. Please don't top post, it makes following
conversations so much more difficult.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Designing pages in HTML is like having sex in a bathtub. If you don't
know anything about sex, it won't help to know a lot about bathtubs."

Old 01-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Willie Wong

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:44:12AM +0000, Penguin Lover Neil Bothwick squawked:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:32:54 +0200, Maxim Kremenev wrote:
>
> > Or maybe extrem LDFLAGS. We want see your /etc/make.conf )
>
> LDFLAGS are shown by emerge --info, as requested several pages down in
> the text you quoted. Please don't top post, it makes following
> conversations so much more difficult.

Here's the emerge --info, I don't think I have anything too extreme

And just a reminder: yes, I am on the hardened profile for this box.
---------------------------------------
Portage 2.1.6.4 (hardened/x86/2.6, gcc-3.4.6, glibc-2.6.1-r0, 2.6.16-hardened-r10 i686)
System uname: Linux-2.6.16-hardened-r10-i686-Intel-R-_Pentium-R-_4_CPU_2.00GHz-with-glibc2.3.2
Timestamp of tree: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:35:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 3.2_p39
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7-r1, 2.1.6-r1
dev-lang/python: 2.5.2-r7
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r6
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.11.1
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.2.18.1-r2
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.63
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10.2
sys-devel/binutils: 2.18-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.0-r4
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.26
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.27-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/home/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="distlocks fixpackages parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LDFLAGS=""
LINGUAS="en fr zh_TW"
MAKEOPTS="-j1"
PKGDIR="/home/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/home/tmp"
PORTDIR="/home/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac aalib acpi aim alsa audiofile bash-completion bcmath bidi blender-game bzip2 cairo canna cdparanoia cdr cjk crypt cups curl cxx djvu dri dts dv dvd dvdread encode exif expat fame ffmpeg flac fpx ftp gd gdbm ggi gif gimp gimpprint glitz glut gphoto2 gpm graphviz gs gtk guile hardened hdri iconv imagemagick imap imlib inkjar java javascript jbig joystick jpeg jpeg2k lame latex lcms libcaca libwww lzo mad maildir math matroska mbox mbrola midi mikmod mime mjpeg mmx mmxext mng motif mozilla moznocompose moznomail moznoroaming mp3 mp4 mpeg musepack nas ncurses nethack network nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ogg ogg123 openexr opengl oscar pcre pdf perl pic plotutils png pnm pop posix postscript python quicktime readline recode reiserfs restrict-javascript rle rtc samba sasl schroedinger sdl slang slp smime soap sox spell srt sse sse2 ssl stroke subtitles svg tcltk tcpd tetex theora tidy tiff timidity tools truetype unicode usb userlocales uudeview vcd vim vim-pager vim-syntax vorbis win32codecs wmf x264 x86 xanim xchatdccserver xchattext xcomposite xine xinetd xml xorg xpm xulrunner xv xvid zlib" ALSA_CARDS="intel8x0m intel8x0" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="dmix share dshare multi null copy empty route rate file softvol linear adpcm alaw asym dsnoop extplug hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat meter mulaw plug shm" APACHE2_MODULES="alias charset_lite env imagemap include log_config mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif userdir" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse joystick" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en fr zh_TW" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nv"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

"First we just solved it using Mr. Stephen Wolfram's brain. Now we're going to
do it." ~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 781 days, 13:35