Old 01-25-2009, 04:50 AM
Grant

Default Strange local connection requests from my laptop

My network's firewall is rejecting a bunch of attempts by my laptop to
reach 192.168.x.x systems which don't exist. The requests are from
and to very high port numbers. This must have to do with the p2p
software I'm running (transmission), but I thought it was pretty
creepy. Is that sort of thing expected from p2p software?

- Grant

Old 01-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Nick Cunningham

My network's firewall is rejecting a bunch of attempts by my laptop to

reach 192.168.x.x systems which don't exist. *The requests are from

and to very high port numbers. *This must have to do with the p2p

software I'm running (transmission), but I thought it was pretty

creepy. *Is that sort of thing expected from p2p software?

- Grant

Thats likely to be normal, a lot of bittorrent clients these days support finding local peers, so its normal that they would send out queries on your local network.

I know deluge has an option to enable/disable this, however i dont recall if transmission has this option.

- Nick

Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Grant

>> My network's firewall is rejecting a bunch of attempts by my laptop to
>> reach 192.168.x.x systems which don't exist. The requests are from
>> and to very high port numbers. This must have to do with the p2p
>> software I'm running (transmission), but I thought it was pretty
>> creepy. Is that sort of thing expected from p2p software?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> Thats likely to be normal, a lot of bittorrent clients these days support
> finding local peers, so its normal that they would send out queries on your
> local network.
>
> I know deluge has an option to enable/disable this, however i dont recall if
> transmission has this option.
>
> - Nick

Thanks Nick, I'll continue my download.

- Grant