Old 01-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Grant

Default {OT} Remote image editing (crop & rotate)

Each ripped CD in my music collection is accompanied by a high
resolution scan of the album's cover. There is a new plugin for gmpc
that displays that cover art at full screen on my HDTV. As the huge
cover art images appear on the TV, I notice one or more sides that
need to be cropped, or that the cover needs to be slightly rotated.
I'd like to be able to edit those images as I notice problems with
them, but I wonder if there is an easier way than scp'ing each image
to my laptop, opening it in gimp, editing it, saving it, and scp'ing
it back to the HDTV system (especially sshd_config AllowUsers only
allows my user and the user running gmpc is different).

Any ideas? imagemagick comes to mind. Is there a script or even a
GUI I could run on the HDTV system that might be able to crop and/or
rotate quickly and easily?

- Grant

Old 01-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Stroller

... I wonder if there is an easier way than scp'ing each image
to my laptop, opening it in gimp, editing it, saving it, and scp'ing
it back to the HDTV system (especially sshd_config AllowUsers only
allows my user and the user running gmpc is different).

The obvious thing that springs to mind is to export the folder
(containing the music / images) on the HDTV system via NFS or Samba &
mount it on the laptop.

I think there's a fuse implementation which allows you to virtually
"mount" over sftp.

But really you need to tell us more before we're able to help.

Stroller.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Grant

>> ... I wonder if there is an easier way than scp'ing each image
>> to my laptop, opening it in gimp, editing it, saving it, and scp'ing
>> it back to the HDTV system (especially sshd_config AllowUsers only
>> allows my user and the user running gmpc is different).
>
> The obvious thing that springs to mind is to export the folder (containing
> the music / images) on the HDTV system via NFS or Samba & mount it on the
> laptop.

Sounds like a good idea. Would one be better than the other?

> I think there's a fuse implementation which allows you to virtually "mount"
> over sftp.
>
> But really you need to tell us more before we're able to help.

What else would you like to know?

- Grant

Old 01-25-2009, 10:53 AM
pk

Grant wrote:
> Each ripped CD in my music collection is accompanied by a high
> resolution scan of the album's cover. There is a new plugin for gmpc
> that displays that cover art at full screen on my HDTV. As the huge
> cover art images appear on the TV, I notice one or more sides that
> need to be cropped, or that the cover needs to be slightly rotated.
> I'd like to be able to edit those images as I notice problems with
> them, but I wonder if there is an easier way than scp'ing each image
> to my laptop, opening it in gimp, editing it, saving it, and scp'ing
> it back to the HDTV system (especially sshd_config AllowUsers only
> allows my user and the user running gmpc is different).
>
> Any ideas? imagemagick comes to mind. Is there a script or even a
> GUI I could run on the HDTV system that might be able to crop and/or
> rotate quickly and easily?

Imagemagick would probably work (man convert). If you have gimp
installed on your mediapc you could always start gimp on that and use X
(depending if you allow X-forwarding in your sshd_config). Otherwise you
could do like Stroller suggests (NFS or Samba).

Best regards

Peter K

Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Matt Harrison

Grant wrote:

... I wonder if there is an easier way than scp'ing each image
to my laptop, opening it in gimp, editing it, saving it, and scp'ing
it back to the HDTV system (especially sshd_config AllowUsers only
allows my user and the user running gmpc is different).

The obvious thing that springs to mind is to export the folder (containing
the music / images) on the HDTV system via NFS or Samba & mount it on the
laptop.

Sounds like a good idea. Would one be better than the other?

I think there's a fuse implementation which allows you to virtually "mount"
over sftp.

But really you need to tell us more before we're able to help.

What else would you like to know?

- Grant

Are the changes the same for each image or are they something you have
to judge for yourself? If they are the same then you could write a
script that performs the changes using imagemagick tools, without the
need to copy them around the network.

Of course, if it's something you need to judge by eye, that isn't an option.

--
Matt Harrison

Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Stroller