Old 01-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Paul Hartman

Default Howto share Linux swap partition with Windows XP

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2009, at 14:58, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> That looks a really cool & useful idea.
>>>
>>> However, I have a reservation. Since you NEED to use it -
>>> perhaps for space considerations?
>>
>> Yup. Mainly because I use ntfsclone to keep a bunch of backup
>> copies of the NTFS partition, and having a 2GB swap file in
>> every backup copy starts to eat up a lot of disk space.
>
> It might be possible to script removing the swap file at shutdown (or place
> a wrapper script to mount the partition & remove the swapfile before running
> ntfsclone). But I appreciate this is less elegant than just using the same
> swap partition for both o/s.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314834

There is a registry setting in Windows to "clear" the pagefile.sys at
shutdown. What does "clear" mean? To overwrite with 0? To delete? I
don't know.

Paul

Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2009, at 17:09, Paul Hartman wrote:

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314834
>>
>> There is a registry setting in Windows to "clear" the pagefile.sys at
>> shutdown. What does "clear" mean? To overwrite with 0? To delete? I
>> don't know.
>
> From memory it's just to delete it, which is perfect.
>
> It would take too long to zero it out - I don't think that's the purpose.
> Instead, I think, it should prevent swapfile fragmentation - making it a
> very good general-purpose setting to enable.
>
> What would be really idea for the OP is some kind of grub setting & a bash
> script that formats the partition to the appropriate format for the o/s
> being booted. But you'd have to be clever about it to avoid long boot times.
>
> Stroller.

After further googling, it appears it *does* fill the pagefile.sys
with zeros, and adds a significant delay to windows shutdown times. So
it won't do anything for the OP in this case.