Old 01-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Any good instructions for creating a Live CD?

Hi all,
From a thread on another list (pro-audio/music oriented) we're
thinking about creating our own Live CD. I'd like this at least
initially to be based on Gentoo. Are there any good, up-to-date
instructions around about how to do this?

In Google Books I found something called "Linux Live CDs:Building
and Customizing Bootables". It had the following link which is dead.
Did it move somewhere? I cannot find it yet.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_Scratch

I found this in the forums. Any idea about how well it might work?

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837

There's a section talking about Catalyst. The first thing is says
is that it's not for the casual user. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult
is something like this? (I suspect that if I have to ask it's too
difficult.) ;-)

Also this for general info:

http://www.livecdlist.com/wiki/index.php/LiveCD_Creation_Resources

Most interesting to me would be something like cloning an already
up-and-running system. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Old 01-23-2009, 03:50 PM
KH

Mark Knecht schrieb:
> Hi all,
> From a thread on another list (pro-audio/music oriented) we're
> thinking about creating our own Live CD. I'd like this at least
> initially to be based on Gentoo. Are there any good, up-to-date
> instructions around about how to do this?
>
> In Google Books I found something called "Linux Live CDs:Building
> and Customizing Bootables". It had the following link which is dead.
> Did it move somewhere? I cannot find it yet.
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_Scratch

gentoo-wiki.com seems to be offline, again. Try to find it on
gentoo-wiki.info.

> I found this in the forums. Any idea about how well it might work?
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837
>
> There's a section talking about Catalyst. The first thing is says
> is that it's not for the casual user. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult
> is something like this? (I suspect that if I have to ask it's too
> difficult.) ;-)
>
> Also this for general info:
>
> http://www.livecdlist.com/wiki/index.php/LiveCD_Creation_Resources
>
> Most interesting to me would be something like cloning an already
> up-and-running system. Is that possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

I never tried to build my own live cd but maybe the following links
might help.

kh

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_with_Catalyst

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_with_Catalyst_for_newbies

Old 01-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Eric Martin

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi all,
> From a thread on another list (pro-audio/music oriented) we're
> thinking about creating our own Live CD. I'd like this at least
> initially to be based on Gentoo. Are there any good, up-to-date
> instructions around about how to do this?
>
> In Google Books I found something called "Linux Live CDs:Building
> and Customizing Bootables". It had the following link which is dead.
> Did it move somewhere? I cannot find it yet.
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_Scratch
>
> I found this in the forums. Any idea about how well it might work?
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837
>
> There's a section talking about Catalyst. The first thing is says
> is that it's not for the casual user. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult
> is something like this? (I suspect that if I have to ask it's too
> difficult.) ;-)
>
> Also this for general info:
>
> http://www.livecdlist.com/wiki/index.php/LiveCD_Creation_Resources
>
> Most interesting to me would be something like cloning an already
> up-and-running system. Is that possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

Cloning a live system is pretty easy. I'm using a live usb boot device
based off of the gentoo-amd64 minimal cd (and I'm adding more as I go).
The liveUSB howto [1] on docs.gentoo.org is great and will answer most
questions.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
--
Eric Martin
Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F

Old 01-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> From a thread on another list (pro-audio/music oriented) we're
>> thinking about creating our own Live CD. I'd like this at least
>> initially to be based on Gentoo. Are there any good, up-to-date
>> instructions around about how to do this?
>>
>> In Google Books I found something called "Linux Live CDs:Building
>> and Customizing Bootables". It had the following link which is dead.
>> Did it move somewhere? I cannot find it yet.
>>
>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_Scratch
>>
>> I found this in the forums. Any idea about how well it might work?
>>
>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837
>>
>> There's a section talking about Catalyst. The first thing is says
>> is that it's not for the casual user. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult
>> is something like this? (I suspect that if I have to ask it's too
>> difficult.) ;-)
>>
>> Also this for general info:
>>
>> http://www.livecdlist.com/wiki/index.php/LiveCD_Creation_Resources
>>
>> Most interesting to me would be something like cloning an already
>> up-and-running system. Is that possible?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Mark
>>

> Cloning a live system is pretty easy. I'm using a live usb boot device
> based off of the gentoo-amd64 minimal cd (and I'm adding more as I go).
> The liveUSB howto [1] on docs.gentoo.org is great and will answer most
> questions.
>
> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
> --
> Eric Martin
> Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F

Thanks Eric. I hadn't considered doing it on a USB drive but that's an
interesting idea and the instructions don't look too bad.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Nick Cunningham

2009/1/23 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:

>> Hi all,

>> * *From a thread on another list (pro-audio/music oriented) we're

>> thinking about creating our own Live CD. I'd like this at least

>> initially to be based on Gentoo. Are there any good, up-to-date

>> instructions around about how to do this?

>> * *In Google Books I found something called "Linux Live CDs:Building

>> and Customizing Bootables". It had the following link which is dead.

>> Did it move somewhere? I cannot find it yet.

>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_Scratch

>> * *I found this in the forums. Any idea about how well it might work?

>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837

>> * *There's a section talking about Catalyst. The first thing is says

>> is that it's not for the casual user. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult

>> is something like this? (I suspect that if I have to ask it's too

>> difficult.) ;-)

>> * *Also this for general info:

>> http://www.livecdlist.com/wiki/index.php/LiveCD_Creation_Resources

>> * *Most interesting to me would be something like cloning an already

>> up-and-running system. Is that possible?

>> Thanks in advance,

>> Mark

> Cloning a live system is pretty easy. I'm using a live usb boot device

> based off of the gentoo-amd64 minimal cd (and I'm adding more as I go).

> *The liveUSB howto [1] on docs.gentoo.org is great and will answer most

> questions.

> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml

> --

> Eric Martin

> Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA *B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F

Thanks Eric. I hadn't considered doing it on a USB drive but that's an

interesting idea and the instructions don't look too bad.

Cheers,

Mark

Catalyst is quite a beast to get used to, its not well documented and doesnt always behave as you might hope, that said, once you have a working config it becomes *very* easy to then rebuild your livecd with updated packages. The best way to figure things out with it is to look at the examples provided and then look at actual implementations by checking out the config files used by the devs to build the gentoo media, and also the configs used to build the sysresccd.

Its taken me a couple of weeks of occasional fiddling but im now able to build my own livecd using catalyst, the sysrescd configs as a base of useful programs to install, and then updated them all to build from ~ARCH and use the funtoo portage tree. My only problem now that im figuring out is how to use the script in the sysrescd repo to combine the x86 and amd64 cds into one unified final cd.

- Nick

Old 01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Momesso Andrea

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:02:11AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> From a thread on another list (pro-audio/music oriented) we're
> >> thinking about creating our own Live CD. I'd like this at least
> >> initially to be based on Gentoo. Are there any good, up-to-date
> >> instructions around about how to do this?
> >>
> >> In Google Books I found something called "Linux Live CDs:Building
> >> and Customizing Bootables". It had the following link which is dead.
> >> Did it move somewhere? I cannot find it yet.
> >>
> >> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_Scratch
> >>
> >> I found this in the forums. Any idea about how well it might work?
> >>
> >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837
> >>
> >> There's a section talking about Catalyst. The first thing is says
> >> is that it's not for the casual user. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult
> >> is something like this? (I suspect that if I have to ask it's too
> >> difficult.) ;-)
> >>
> >> Also this for general info:
> >>
> >> http://www.livecdlist.com/wiki/index.php/LiveCD_Creation_Resources
> >>
> >> Most interesting to me would be something like cloning an already
> >> up-and-running system. Is that possible?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Mark
> >>

> > Cloning a live system is pretty easy. I'm using a live usb boot device
> > based off of the gentoo-amd64 minimal cd (and I'm adding more as I go).
> > The liveUSB howto [1] on docs.gentoo.org is great and will answer most
> > questions.
> >
> > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
> > --
> > Eric Martin
> > Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F
>
> Thanks Eric. I hadn't considered doing it on a USB drive but that's an
> interesting idea and the instructions don't look too bad.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

If you want something easy to create a custom live cd I suggest you to
try SystemRescueCD. It is gentoo based annd offers all the tools you
need to create a custom cd.

I uually run it on a virtual machine and create my livecds.

Here are all the info you need:
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_personalize_SystemRescueCd

TopperH
===========================
http://topperh.blogspot.com
===========================

Old 01-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM, KH <gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de> wrote:
<SNIP>

> I never tried to build my own live cd but maybe the following links
> might help.
>
> kh
>
> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_with_Catalyst
>
> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_with_Catalyst_for_newbies

Good info. Thanks!
- Mark

Old 01-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Steven Lembark

> In Google Books I found something called "Linux Live CDs:Building
> and Customizing Bootables". It had the following link which is dead.
> Did it move somewhere? I cannot find it yet.

The book does a decent job of describing how to
use gentookit to get a working CD -- they worked
for me.

--
Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St.
Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421