Old 01-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Grant

Default emerge world / --depclean infinite loop

One of my systems with totally empty package.* files wants to emerge
hardened-sources-2.6.25-r13 as it should, but --depclean wants to:

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

sys-kernel/hardened-sources
selected: 2.6.25-r13
protected: none
omitted: 2.6.27-r3

If I do that, emerge world just wants to emerge it again. Does anyone
know how to fix this?

- Grant

Old 01-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Willie Wong

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:02:27AM -0800, Penguin Lover Grant squawked:
> One of my systems with totally empty package.* files wants to emerge
> hardened-sources-2.6.25-r13 as it should, but --depclean wants to:

How do you determine this? (I mean the "as it should" part?)

Are you running ~ or stable?

> sys-kernel/hardened-sources
> selected: 2.6.25-r13
> protected: none
> omitted: 2.6.27-r3
>
> If I do that, emerge world just wants to emerge it again. Does anyone
> know how to fix this?

If you remove it, what does emerge -pvt say?

Seen in LINAC @ Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory:
(A series of signs, each with a different "name")
This 7833 Power Amplifier Tube is to be Called:
Gassy
Sparky
Leaky
Old Number 9
Just Plain Dead
Nick O'Tyme
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 777 days, 15:36

Old 01-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Grant

>> One of my systems with totally empty package.* files wants to emerge
>> hardened-sources-2.6.25-r13 as it should, but --depclean wants to:
>
> How do you determine this? (I mean the "as it should" part?)

I just mean 2.6.25-r13 is the latest amd64 version so it should be installed.

> Are you running ~ or stable?

Stable.

>> sys-kernel/hardened-sources
>> selected: 2.6.25-r13
>> protected: none
>> omitted: 2.6.27-r3
>>
>> If I do that, emerge world just wants to emerge it again. Does anyone
>> know how to fix this?
>
> If you remove it, what does emerge -pvt say?

This is right after running emerge --depclean which removed
hardened-sources-2.6.25-r13:

# emerge -pvt hardened-sources

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild NS ] sys-kernel/hardened-sources-2.6.25-r13 [2.6.27-r3]
USE="-build -symlink" 0 kB

- Grant

Old 01-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Willie Wong

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:14:13AM -0800, Grant wrote:
> >> One of my systems with totally empty package.* files wants to emerge
> >> hardened-sources-2.6.25-r13 as it should, but --depclean wants to:
> >
> > How do you determine this? (I mean the "as it should" part?)
>
> I just mean 2.6.25-r13 is the latest amd64 version so it should be installed.
>
> > Are you running ~ or stable?
>
> Stable.

> >> sys-kernel/hardened-sources
> >> selected: 2.6.25-r13
> >> protected: none
> >> omitted: 2.6.27-r3
> >>
> >> If I do that, emerge world just wants to emerge it again. Does anyone
> >> know how to fix this?
> >
> > If you remove it, what does emerge -pvt say?
>
> This is right after running emerge --depclean which removed
> hardened-sources-2.6.25-r13:
>
> # emerge -pvt hardened-sources
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild NS ] sys-kernel/hardened-sources-2.6.25-r13 [2.6.27-r3]
> USE="-build -symlink" 0 kB

So the question is, basically, why do you have 2.6.27-r3 installed? It
is ~amd64. Basically the problem is the following:

a) emerge -pvt hardened-sources wants to emerge the "best" version
available, which with your amd64 keyword is 2.6.25-r13. For some
reason you have 2.6.27-r3 installed. Now, in many other packages,
this will just cause the package to downgrade. The kernel, however,
have each version individually slotted, so the downgrade will NOT
remove the version that is, strictly speaking, not allowed to be on
your system.
b) emerge --depclean defaults to behaving to unmerging all but the
highest version number in the kernel.

You have three choices that I can think of.

i) explicitly specify the version of hardened-sources you want to keep
in your world file, that way --depclean will not remove any kernel
versions that is specified in world.
ii) unmerge 2.6.27-r3, that way 2.6.25-r13 becomes the most recent
version and will not be unmerged
iii) keyword 2.6.27-r3, that way the "best" available version becomes
2.6.27-r3 and emerge -pvt will not tell you to merge 2.6.25-r13

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Grant

>> > How do you determine this? (I mean the "as it should" part?)
>>
>> I just mean 2.6.25-r13 is the latest amd64 version so it should be installed.
>>
>> > Are you running ~ or stable?
>>
>> Stable.

>> > If you remove it, what does emerge -pvt say?
>>
>> This is right after running emerge --depclean which removed
>> hardened-sources-2.6.25-r13:
>>
>> # emerge -pvt hardened-sources
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>> [ebuild NS ] sys-kernel/hardened-sources-2.6.25-r13 [2.6.27-r3]
>> USE="-build -symlink" 0 kB
>
> So the question is, basically, why do you have 2.6.27-r3 installed? It
> is ~amd64. Basically the problem is the following:
>
> a) emerge -pvt hardened-sources wants to emerge the "best" version
> available, which with your amd64 keyword is 2.6.25-r13. For some
> reason you have 2.6.27-r3 installed. Now, in many other packages,
> this will just cause the package to downgrade. The kernel, however,
> have each version individually slotted, so the downgrade will NOT
> remove the version that is, strictly speaking, not allowed to be on
> your system.
> b) emerge --depclean defaults to behaving to unmerging all but the
> highest version number in the kernel.
>
> You have three choices that I can think of.
>
> i) explicitly specify the version of hardened-sources you want to keep
> in your world file, that way --depclean will not remove any kernel
> versions that is specified in world.
> ii) unmerge 2.6.27-r3, that way 2.6.25-r13 becomes the most recent
> version and will not be unmerged

That got it, thank you very much.

- Grant