Old 01-23-2009, 12:24 AM
BRM

Default Laptop Lid Close...

I'm running a Dell D600, and I've located a number of tools for it but I am not seeing anything related to when I close the lid. Since I got Gentoo running on it, the Monitor continues running when I close the lid.

I've found several sources for doing something as an ACPI event, which seems to be the right method. I can toggle the button with the lid open and cat /etc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state and see it change between 'open' and 'closed'; and I know I could write myself a little script do something like calling radeontool to turn off the backlight, but I'd like to find a more official method.

I mostly run KDE 3.5 (I'll go to KDE4 when I can...once portage 2.2 comes out and all), but I didn't see anything for a 'turn off monitor on lid close' setting (preferrably root controlled so that it affects all users). The only thing I can find is a the standby/suspend/shutdown/logoff, system performance, and CPU throttling. I don't really want to do any of that - just put the monitor into stand-by, not necessarily the whole system.

Any how...I'd really like to get this working.

TIA,

Ben

Old 01-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Joshua Murphy

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:24 PM, BRM <bm_witness@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm running a Dell D600, and I've located a number of tools for it but I am not seeing anything related to when I close the lid. Since I got Gentoo running on it, the Monitor continues running when I close the lid.
>
> I've found several sources for doing something as an ACPI event, which seems to be the right method. I can toggle the button with the lid open and cat /etc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state and see it change between 'open' and 'closed'; and I know I could write myself a little script do something like calling radeontool to turn off the backlight, but I'd like to find a more official method.
>
> I mostly run KDE 3.5 (I'll go to KDE4 when I can...once portage 2.2 comes out and all), but I didn't see anything for a 'turn off monitor on lid close' setting (preferrably root controlled so that it affects all users). The only thing I can find is a the standby/suspend/shutdown/logoff, system performance, and CPU throttling. I don't really want to do any of that - just put the monitor into stand-by, not necessarily the whole system.
>
> Any how...I'd really like to get this working.
>
> TIA,
>
> Ben

In...
/etc/acpi/default.sh

there's a comment (with commented code you can use following it)...
# if your laptop doesnt turn on/off the display via hardware
# switch and instead just generates an acpi event, you can force
# X to turn off the display via dpms. note you will have to run
# 'xhost +local:0' so root can access the X DISPLAY.

if radeontool or something will allow you to disable the display even
when you aren't in X, or without proper access to the display (like
xset requires) you might be able to even escape needing that xhost
setting. No way of testing it at all myself though.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 01-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Gregory SACRE

This is the script I am using. It is spawned by the default.sh from /etc/acpi:

-------------------------- SCRIPT START --------------------------
# default display on current host
export XAUTHORITY="/home/<your_user>/.Xauthority"
DISPLAY=:0.0

# find out if monitor is on
STATUS=`cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state`
logger "monitor: $STATUS"

# find out if DPMS is enabled
DPMS=`xset -display $DISPLAY -q | grep -e 'DPMS is'`
logger "dpms: $DPMS"

# enable DPMS if disabled
if [ "$DPMS" == " DPMS is Disabled" ]
then
logger "Enabling DPMS ..."
xset -display $DISPLAY +dpms
fi

if [ `echo $STATUS | grep -i closed | wc -l` -eq 1 ]
then
logger "[`date`] Turning display OFF"
xset -display $DISPLAY dpms force off
else
logger "[`date`] Turning display ON" # shows up in log
xset -display $DISPLAY dpms force on # turn monitor on
xset -display $DISPLAY s activate # un-blank monitor
fi

#clean up
unset STATUS
unset DPMS

# comment this line out if you're manually running this script from a
shell (put a # in front of it)
unset DISPLAY

exit 0
-------------------------- SCRIPT STOP --------------------------

Change the <your_user> variable.
I had also to set xscreensaver to switch off my monitor instead of
blanking it, because I think (not sure) that xscreensaver was
switching on my monitor when it was supposed to start the screensaver
(as after a while, my monitor was switched back on, and as I didn't
see that happening since my xscreensaver modification, I can only
assume that was the problem).

HTH,

Greg

Old 01-24-2009, 02:58 AM
BRM

For some reason, the script is not getting called when I press the button.

That is not to say that the system doesn't recognize it - if I set KDE to put the system in stand-by when the lid is closed, it very well will. But as I said earlier, that's not what I want - I just want to turn on/off the monitor.

I know kacpid is running...but I don't think acpid is...at least, when I tried /etc/init.d/acpid start it complained:

* Starting acpid ...
acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: Device or resource busy

Ben

Old 01-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Brandon Vargo

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 02:14 -0500, Joshua Murphy wrote:
> if radeontool or something will allow you to disable the display even
> when you aren't in X, or without proper access to the display (like
> xset requires) you might be able to even escape needing that xhost
> setting. No way of testing it at all myself though.

I use the dpms feature of sys-apps/vbetool to control the state of the
display from a shell script called by acpid. It works even when X is not
running and does not need access to the X display if X is running. Also,
it works with graphics cards from multiple vendors, as it uses VESA
extensions. From personal experience, I know it works with the Intel
graphics chipset in my laptop (x86) and also with the Nvidia graphics
card in my desktop (amd64). The latter does not have a lid to close, of
course, but vbetool can still turn off the display.

--Brandon Vargo

Old 01-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Gian Calgeer

Hi

BRM wrote:

> I mostly run KDE 3.5 (I'll go to KDE4 when I can...once portage 2.2 comes
> out and all)

There's no need to wait for Portage 2.2 in order to install KDE 4, 2.1.6.4
also seems to support EAPI 2.

Gian

Old 01-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Gregory SACRE

I've googled a bit and found these two things:

[1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/175464
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysvinit/+bug/51591

They both refer to problems with hald and acpid entering in conflict.
Check if you are using hald. If you are, try stopping it and starting
acpid to see if it still gives you the problem.

Concerning the fact that the script isn't called, you have to check in
your /etc/acpi/event/default. Make sure that you have lines such as:

event=.*
action=/etc/acpi/default.sh %e

Basically, it says that for any event handled by acpi, launch
/etc/acpi/default.sh.
And in /etc/acpi/default.sh, check for the "lid" event. It should look
like this:

[...]
case "$group" in
[...]
lid)
/etc/acpi/screen_off.sh > /tmp/screen_off 2>&1
[...]

where screen_off.sh is the script I sent you in my previous mail.

HTH,

Greg

Old 01-26-2009, 04:59 PM
BRM

Cool. Thanks. That looks like it should solve the issue.

Ben

Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
BRM

Just following up - for anyone searching the archives - the bug report mentioned below did solve the problem.

When I had added the acpid to the default run-level, I had not restarted hald before starting it, thus the script didn't get called.

Any how...it now works excellently. I use radeontool to turn off the screen, and it works without having to know about X.
I also send out a message via D-Bus to the KDE Desktop to initiate the screen saver on close, and turn it off on open. (I ignore the password side of the screen saver, but you can honor that too if you like).

Thanks for the help all!

Ben