Old 01-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Grant

Default 64-bit Firefox + java?

I recently switched from firefox-bin and nspluginwrapper to 64-bit
firefox and the latest flash, and I just realized java no longer
works. Do I need to go back to firefox-bin and nspluginwrapper for
java to work?

- Grant

Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Mark Knecht

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently switched from firefox-bin and nspluginwrapper to 64-bit
> firefox and the latest flash, and I just realized java no longer
> works. Do I need to go back to firefox-bin and nspluginwrapper for
> java to work?
>
> - Grant

Welcome to the real world of 64-bit Linux.

1) You should really start using the Gentoo-AMD64 list as you'll
probably find more of us folks using 64-bit there.

2) TTBOMK there is no complete set of solutions that cover Java and
Flash in 64-bit broswers, but I've stopped paying much attention any
more. That's something that just doesn't work well for me on this
machine.

HTH,
Mark

Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently switched from firefox-bin and nspluginwrapper to 64-bit
> firefox and the latest flash, and I just realized java no longer
> works. Do I need to go back to firefox-bin and nspluginwrapper for
> java to work?

Which java are you using? Sun's java didn't have a 64-bit browser
plug-in until very recently.

http://blogs.sun.com/joshis/entry/finally_it_s_here_java

Old 01-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Grant

>> I recently switched from firefox-bin and nspluginwrapper to 64-bit
>> firefox and the latest flash, and I just realized java no longer
>> works. Do I need to go back to firefox-bin and nspluginwrapper for
>> java to work?
>
> Which java are you using? Sun's java didn't have a 64-bit browser
> plug-in until very recently.
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/joshis/entry/finally_it_s_here_java

That sounds great. Is it set up in portage yet? If so, can you tell
me a package name?

- Grant

Old 01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I recently switched from firefox-bin and nspluginwrapper to 64-bit
>>> firefox and the latest flash, and I just realized java no longer
>>> works. Do I need to go back to firefox-bin and nspluginwrapper for
>>> java to work?
>>
>> Which java are you using? Sun's java didn't have a 64-bit browser
>> plug-in until very recently.
>>
>> http://blogs.sun.com/joshis/entry/finally_it_s_here_java
>
> That sounds great. Is it set up in portage yet? If so, can you tell
> me a package name?

Not that I know of, it hasn't been released yet (still beta). I've
read on the www that you can extract just the libnpjp2.so file from
the archive and drop it in on top of your current sun-jre
installation, then make a symlink to it your firefox plugins
directory. I haven't actually tried it as I can't remember the last
time I ran into java on the web.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Grant

>>> Which java are you using? Sun's java didn't have a 64-bit browser
>>> plug-in until very recently.
>>>
>>> http://blogs.sun.com/joshis/entry/finally_it_s_here_java
>>
>> That sounds great. Is it set up in portage yet? If so, can you tell
>> me a package name?
>
> Not that I know of, it hasn't been released yet (still beta). I've
> read on the www that you can extract just the libnpjp2.so file from
> the archive and drop it in on top of your current sun-jre
> installation, then make a symlink to it your firefox plugins
> directory. I haven't actually tried it as I can't remember the last
> time I ran into java on the web.

Thank you, I'll keep an eye on that.

- Grant

Old 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag 22 Januar 2009, Grant wrote:

> >> That sounds great. Is it set up in portage yet? If so, can you tell
> >> me a package name?
> >
> > Not that I know of, it hasn't been released yet (still beta). I've
> > read on the www that you can extract just the libnpjp2.so file from
> > the archive and drop it in on top of your current sun-jre
> > installation, then make a symlink to it your firefox plugins
> > directory. I haven't actually tried it as I can't remember the last
> > time I ran into java on the web.
>
> Thank you, I'll keep an eye on that.
>
> - Grant

or just use konqueror which does not need java-plugin to display&use java
since it can use java directly.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Pariksheet Nanda

Use icedtea from the java-overlay. Works beautifully for me on ff3

Pariksheet

--
Sent from my mobile device

Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Grant

> Use icedtea from the java-overlay. Works beautifully for me on ff3
>
> Pariksheet

I'd like to give that a try but I get:

# emerge icedtea6
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] dev-java/icedtea6-1.3.1-r2 USE="nsplugin -cacao
-debug -doc -examples -javascript -pulseaudio -shark -zero"
* Error: circular dependencies:
('ebuild', '/', 'dev-java/icedtea6-1.3.1-r2', 'merge') depends on
('ebuild', '/', 'dev-java/icedtea6-1.3.1-r2', 'merge') (hard)
* Note that circular dependencies can often be avoided by temporarily
* disabling USE flags that trigger optional dependencies.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? I tried disabling the nsplugin
USE flag with the same result.

- Grant