Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Paul Hartman

Default 2.6.28-gentoo sources quite sluggish on Dell Inspiron 8100 / 1GHz PIII

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> On Donnerstag 22 Januar 2009, Dan Farrell wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I recently updated my dell Inspirion 8100's software after I found to
>>> my suprise I could no longer play video fast enough to watch. I did a
>>> kernel upgrade from 2.6.24 to 2.6.28, with a number of
>>> reconfigurations, including moving from madwifi to in-kernel ath5k.
>>> Also updated nvidia-drivers to go along with the new system.
>>>
>>> Now my system is extremely sluggish. It updates the screen very slowly
>>> in X and CPU performance is noticably slower without X running too.
>>> WiFi speed is dismal.
>>>
>>> I tried to remove all cruft and extras from the kernel, but I haven't
>>> managed to improve matters yet. Since it now takes hours to update the
>>> system, I was hoping someone might have and idea as to what the cause
>>> of the slowdown might be.
>>>
>>> Sound Familiar? Any guesses?
>>>

>> group scheduling? get rid of it.
>>

> I have been using 2.6.23 kernel for a while for the same reason. I'm
> going to check my config now.
>
> Dale

On my laptop it is noticeably sluggish when using SLUB instead of SLAB
(despite SLUB being the default, I find it to be worse every time I've
tried it so far)

Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

>>> group scheduling? get rid of it.
>>>

>> I have been using 2.6.23 kernel for a while for the same reason. I'm
>> going to check my config now.
>>
>> Dale
>>

> On my laptop it is noticeably sluggish when using SLUB instead of SLAB
> (despite SLUB being the default, I find it to be worse every time I've
> tried it so far)

Is there a howto for this sort of thing? From what I read here and
other places, some laptops are really confusing but there are even
desktops that have issues with some new features. How does one get a
idea of what they should try? I remember a list ages ago when I first
installed Gentoo that has a list of CPUs andsome of the options a person
could put in make.conf. I think we need one of those, maybe on a wiki
or something, that lists models and what setting really work. I think
laptops would really benefit from this. I have never had a laptop but
they seem to be tricky to be nice about it.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:

>>> I have been using 2.6.23 kernel for a while for the same reason. I'm
>>> going to check my config now.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>

>> On my laptop it is noticeably sluggish when using SLUB instead of SLAB
>> (despite SLUB being the default, I find it to be worse every time I've
>> tried it so far)
>>

> Is there a howto for this sort of thing? From what I read here and
> other places, some laptops are really confusing but there are even
> desktops that have issues with some new features. How does one get a
> idea of what they should try? I remember a list ages ago when I first
> installed Gentoo that has a list of CPUs andsome of the options a person
> could put in make.conf. I think we need one of those, maybe on a wiki
> or something, that lists models and what setting really work. I think
> laptops would really benefit from this. I have never had a laptop but
> they seem to be tricky to be nice about it.

I think, other than power-saving stuff, there shouldn't really be any
big difference between desktop and laptop settings...

http://linuxonlaptops.com has lots of info about specific
configurations for various laptops.