Old 01-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Dan Farrell

Default 2.6.28-gentoo sources quite sluggish on Dell Inspiron 8100 / 1GHz PIII

Hi all,

I recently updated my dell Inspirion 8100's software after I found to
my suprise I could no longer play video fast enough to watch. I did a
kernel upgrade from 2.6.24 to 2.6.28, with a number of
reconfigurations, including moving from madwifi to in-kernel ath5k.
Also updated nvidia-drivers to go along with the new system.

Now my system is extremely sluggish. It updates the screen very slowly
in X and CPU performance is noticably slower without X running too.
WiFi speed is dismal.

I tried to remove all cruft and extras from the kernel, but I haven't
managed to improve matters yet. Since it now takes hours to update the
system, I was hoping someone might have and idea as to what the cause
of the slowdown might be.

Sound Familiar? Any guesses?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag 22 Januar 2009, Dan Farrell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently updated my dell Inspirion 8100's software after I found to
> my suprise I could no longer play video fast enough to watch. I did a
> kernel upgrade from 2.6.24 to 2.6.28, with a number of
> reconfigurations, including moving from madwifi to in-kernel ath5k.
> Also updated nvidia-drivers to go along with the new system.
>
> Now my system is extremely sluggish. It updates the screen very slowly
> in X and CPU performance is noticably slower without X running too.
> WiFi speed is dismal.
>
> I tried to remove all cruft and extras from the kernel, but I haven't
> managed to improve matters yet. Since it now takes hours to update the
> system, I was hoping someone might have and idea as to what the cause
> of the slowdown might be.
>
> Sound Familiar? Any guesses?

group scheduling? get rid of it.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 AM
Dan Farrell

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 02:47:57 +0100
Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Donnerstag 22 Januar 2009, Dan Farrell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently updated my dell Inspirion 8100's software after I found
> > to my suprise I could no longer play video fast enough to watch. I
> > did a kernel upgrade from 2.6.24 to 2.6.28, with a number of
> > reconfigurations, including moving from madwifi to in-kernel ath5k.
> > Also updated nvidia-drivers to go along with the new system.
> >
> > Now my system is extremely sluggish. It updates the screen very
> > slowly in X and CPU performance is noticably slower without X
> > running too. WiFi speed is dismal.
> >
> > I tried to remove all cruft and extras from the kernel, but I
> > haven't managed to improve matters yet. Since it now takes hours
> > to update the system, I was hoping someone might have and idea as
> > to what the cause of the slowdown might be.
> >
> > Sound Familiar? Any guesses?
>
> group scheduling? get rid of it.

Good thought! I didn't have it on though. Not particularly useful on
a laptop.

I fixed it though; it ended up being the BIOS. An upgrade from 8 to
15 and it's like a new computer. Yay!

Thanks for the response.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 AM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Donnerstag 22 Januar 2009, Dan Farrell wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently updated my dell Inspirion 8100's software after I found to
>> my suprise I could no longer play video fast enough to watch. I did a
>> kernel upgrade from 2.6.24 to 2.6.28, with a number of
>> reconfigurations, including moving from madwifi to in-kernel ath5k.
>> Also updated nvidia-drivers to go along with the new system.
>>
>> Now my system is extremely sluggish. It updates the screen very slowly
>> in X and CPU performance is noticably slower without X running too.
>> WiFi speed is dismal.
>>
>> I tried to remove all cruft and extras from the kernel, but I haven't
>> managed to improve matters yet. Since it now takes hours to update the
>> system, I was hoping someone might have and idea as to what the cause
>> of the slowdown might be.
>>
>> Sound Familiar? Any guesses?
>>

> group scheduling? get rid of it.

I have been using 2.6.23 kernel for a while for the same reason. I'm
going to check my config now.

Dale

:-) :-)