Old 01-21-2009, 04:25 PM
James

Default bzflag worbles after recent upgrades to workstation

Hello,

I'm pulling out my hair here. BZflag-2.0.12 use to work great
on Gentoo. The kernel (1.6.27-r7-gentoo) has not changed.
However for about a week now, after a bunch of updates,
xrog*, evdev etc etc, it has very high lag and jitter
over the net.

I can reboot the same system and play bzflag on XP pro
just fine. It use to work great on gentoo, but now
it lags so bad I get booted after a few second on the game
bandwidth is fine (cable modem).

X use to run up the load bad when the problem first occured,
but now that does not seem to happen.

I've rebuild everything I can think of, to no avail.
From /usr/portage/games-action/bzflag/bzflag-2.0.12.ebuild
it only seems to use a few things:

UIDEPEND="virtual/opengl
virtual/glu
media-libs/libsdl
media-libs/glew
x11-libs/libICE
x11-libs/libSM
x11-libs/libX11
x11-libs/libXau
x11-libs/libXdmcp
x11-libs/libXext
x11-libs/libXi
x11-libs/libXmu
x11-libs/libXt
x11-libs/libXxf86vm"

DEPEND=">=net-misc/curl-7.15.0
sys-libs/ncurses
net-dns/c-ares
sdl? ( ${UIDEPEND} )
!sdl? ( !dedicated? ( ${UIDEPEND} ) )"

I have these installed:

ati-drivers 8.561
Xorg-server 1.5.3-r1
xf86-input-evdev 2.1.1
xorg-x11 7.4
kde-meta 3.5.9

On the same hardware, rebooted to XP pro, it's just fine.

Any ideas what to try or mask to get this working again?

James