Old 01-21-2009, 02:26 AM
Paul Hartman

Default Powertop constantly tells me to enable USB suspend, but it is already enabled

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As the subject line says, powertop constantly tells me my USB devices
>> (keyboard/mouse) are active 100% of the time and to enable USB
>> suspend, which I do, but it keeps telling me constantly. How can I
>> tell if:
>>
>> A) USB suspend is actually on or not
>> B) powertop is doing anything when I press "U"
>>
>> I've got USB Suspend/resume support in my kernel, and according to the
>> kernel docs the usbcore.usbsuspend default delay is 2 (powertop
>> suggests changing it to 1).
>>
>> Powertop's refresh delay is 5 seconds.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>

> Check for USB_SUSPEND in /proc/config.gz

I do not have a /proc/config.gz but i have this in /boot/config:

CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y

Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 7:58 AM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:

>>> Check for USB_SUSPEND in /proc/config.gz
>>
>> I do not have a /proc/config.gz but i have this in /boot/config:
>>
>> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y
>>
> Are you sure you're running a kernel with that configured? Why not
> enable kernel .config? It's [CONFIG_IKCONFIG] General Setup -> Kernel
> .config support. Obviously it adds more to your kernel images but it
> makes tracking down problems like this very easy. I too have a usb
> keyboard / mouse and I'm pretty sure powertop doesn't register 100% for
> those interfaces... Heck, unless you're 100% opposed to turning on
> kernel .config support (or can't reboot the server), turn it on,
> recompile, install, reboot and see if CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is there, and
> see what powertop says.
>
> I was trying to chase down a similar problem (disabling kernel options)
> when I was getting vmalloc() errors with xfs and I discovered that they
> always weren't taking affect. My guess was I rebooted before cache
> could be written to disk.

Hi,

I actually had it enabled in my kernel, but as a module, and I have
never used it before so I didn't even realize it was there. I had to
dig a little to find out that "modprobe configs" is what I needed to
turn it on. I have this section:

#
# Miscellaneous USB options
#
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
# CONFIG_USB_DEVICE_CLASS is not set
# CONFIG_USB_DYNAMIC_MINORS is not set
CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y
# CONFIG_USB_OTG is not set
# CONFIG_USB_MON is not set
# CONFIG_USB_WUSB is not set
# CONFIG_USB_WUSB_CBAF is not set

So it appears I do have it properly configured, at least.

Is there any way to tell whether or not a device is suspended, or if
autosuspend is kicking in? I don't know what's it's supposed to do,
really. Does the fact that I'm using a desktop computer mean that
there's a chance USB suspend isn't even available?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:

> <snip>

>>> Are you sure you're running a kernel with that configured? Why not
>>> enable kernel .config? It's [CONFIG_IKCONFIG] General Setup -> Kernel
>>> .config support. Obviously it adds more to your kernel images but it
>>> makes tracking down problems like this very easy. I too have a usb
>>> keyboard / mouse and I'm pretty sure powertop doesn't register 100% for
>>> those interfaces... Heck, unless you're 100% opposed to turning on
>>> kernel .config support (or can't reboot the server), turn it on,
>>> recompile, install, reboot and see if CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is there, and
>>> see what powertop says.
>>>
>>> I was trying to chase down a similar problem (disabling kernel options)
>>> when I was getting vmalloc() errors with xfs and I discovered that they
>>> always weren't taking affect. My guess was I rebooted before cache
>>> could be written to disk.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I actually had it enabled in my kernel, but as a module, and I have
>> never used it before so I didn't even realize it was there. I had to
>> dig a little to find out that "modprobe configs" is what I needed to
>> turn it on. I have this section:
>>
>> #
>> # Miscellaneous USB options
>> #
>> CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
>> # CONFIG_USB_DEVICE_CLASS is not set
>> # CONFIG_USB_DYNAMIC_MINORS is not set
>> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y
>> # CONFIG_USB_OTG is not set
>> # CONFIG_USB_MON is not set
>> # CONFIG_USB_WUSB is not set
>> # CONFIG_USB_WUSB_CBAF is not set
>>
>> So it appears I do have it properly configured, at least.
>>
>> Is there any way to tell whether or not a device is suspended, or if
>> autosuspend is kicking in? I don't know what's it's supposed to do,
>> really. Does the fact that I'm using a desktop computer mean that
>> there's a chance USB suspend isn't even available?
>
> Ok, now I'm confused. USB_SUSPEND can't be configured as a module, so I
> have no idea what you're talking about. I apparently don't have it
> configured on this machine (shame on me) so I'm recompiling right now,
> I'll reboot and let you know so I can help more.
>
> Again though, the only way I'm 100% sure *anything* is in my running
> kernel is by checking /proc/config.gz. Granted that's not even 100%
> because there are plenty of times I just add modules and don't install
> the new kernel.

No no no, sorry for not being clearer. I had /proc/config.gz support
compiled as a module. Once I did "modprobe configs" it was available
for me to look at.