FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Eric Martin
 
Default Powertop constantly tells me to enable USB suspend, but it is already enabled

Paul Hartman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As the subject line says, powertop constantly tells me my USB devices
> (keyboard/mouse) are active 100% of the time and to enable USB
> suspend, which I do, but it keeps telling me constantly. How can I
> tell if:
>
> A) USB suspend is actually on or not
> B) powertop is doing anything when I press "U"
>
> I've got USB Suspend/resume support in my kernel, and according to the
> kernel docs the usbcore.usbsuspend default delay is 2 (powertop
> suggests changing it to 1).
>
> Powertop's refresh delay is 5 seconds.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
>
Check for USB_SUSPEND in /proc/config.gz
 
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Eric Martin
 
Default Powertop constantly tells me to enable USB suspend, but it is already enabled

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Paul Hartman wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As the subject line says, powertop constantly tells me my USB devices
>>> (keyboard/mouse) are active 100% of the time and to enable USB
>>> suspend, which I do, but it keeps telling me constantly. How can I
>>> tell if:
>>>
>>> A) USB suspend is actually on or not
>>> B) powertop is doing anything when I press "U"
>>>
>>> I've got USB Suspend/resume support in my kernel, and according to the
>>> kernel docs the usbcore.usbsuspend default delay is 2 (powertop
>>> suggests changing it to 1).
>>>
>>> Powertop's refresh delay is 5 seconds.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Paul
>>>
>>>
>> Check for USB_SUSPEND in /proc/config.gz
>
> I do not have a /proc/config.gz but i have this in /boot/config:
>
> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y
>
Are you sure you're running a kernel with that configured? Why not
enable kernel .config? It's [CONFIG_IKCONFIG] General Setup -> Kernel
.config support. Obviously it adds more to your kernel images but it
makes tracking down problems like this very easy. I too have a usb
keyboard / mouse and I'm pretty sure powertop doesn't register 100% for
those interfaces... Heck, unless you're 100% opposed to turning on
kernel .config support (or can't reboot the server), turn it on,
recompile, install, reboot and see if CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is there, and
see what powertop says.

I was trying to chase down a similar problem (disabling kernel options)
when I was getting vmalloc() errors with xfs and I discovered that they
always weren't taking affect. My guess was I rebooted before cache
could be written to disk.

HTH

--
Eric Martin
Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F
 
Old 01-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Eric Martin
 
Default Powertop constantly tells me to enable USB suspend, but it is already enabled

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 7:58 AM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Paul Hartman wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Paul Hartman wrote:
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> As the subject line says, powertop constantly tells me my USB devices
>>>>> (keyboard/mouse) are active 100% of the time and to enable USB
>>>>> suspend, which I do, but it keeps telling me constantly. How can I
>>>>> tell if:
>>>>>
>>>>> A) USB suspend is actually on or not
>>>>> B) powertop is doing anything when I press "U"
>>>>>

<snip>

>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> Check for USB_SUSPEND in /proc/config.gz
>>> I do not have a /proc/config.gz but i have this in /boot/config:
>>>
>>> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y
>>>
>> Are you sure you're running a kernel with that configured? Why not
>> enable kernel .config? It's [CONFIG_IKCONFIG] General Setup -> Kernel
>> .config support. Obviously it adds more to your kernel images but it
>> makes tracking down problems like this very easy. I too have a usb
>> keyboard / mouse and I'm pretty sure powertop doesn't register 100% for
>> those interfaces... Heck, unless you're 100% opposed to turning on
>> kernel .config support (or can't reboot the server), turn it on,
>> recompile, install, reboot and see if CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is there, and
>> see what powertop says.
>>
>> I was trying to chase down a similar problem (disabling kernel options)
>> when I was getting vmalloc() errors with xfs and I discovered that they
>> always weren't taking affect. My guess was I rebooted before cache
>> could be written to disk.
>
> Hi,
>
> I actually had it enabled in my kernel, but as a module, and I have
> never used it before so I didn't even realize it was there. I had to
> dig a little to find out that "modprobe configs" is what I needed to
> turn it on. I have this section:
>
> #
> # Miscellaneous USB options
> #
> CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
> # CONFIG_USB_DEVICE_CLASS is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_DYNAMIC_MINORS is not set
> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y
> # CONFIG_USB_OTG is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_MON is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_WUSB is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_WUSB_CBAF is not set
>
> So it appears I do have it properly configured, at least.
>
> Is there any way to tell whether or not a device is suspended, or if
> autosuspend is kicking in? I don't know what's it's supposed to do,
> really. Does the fact that I'm using a desktop computer mean that
> there's a chance USB suspend isn't even available?

Ok, now I'm confused. USB_SUSPEND can't be configured as a module, so I
have no idea what you're talking about. I apparently don't have it
configured on this machine (shame on me) so I'm recompiling right now,
I'll reboot and let you know so I can help more.

Again though, the only way I'm 100% sure *anything* is in my running
kernel is by checking /proc/config.gz. Granted that's not even 100%
because there are plenty of times I just add modules and don't install
the new kernel.


--
Eric Martin
Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org