Old 01-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Hung Dang

Default Share hard drive for multiple users

Hi all,
I need to mount a new hard drive formatted in ext3 to /mnt/C such that
multiple users can use it.
However, all users can only read the data from the share drive
Any suggestion?

Below is my fstab configuration:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/C ext3 rw,auto,noatime,defaults 0 1

Thanks
Hung

Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Andrey Falko

I need to mount a new hard drive formatted in ext3 to /mnt/C such that

multiple users can use it.

However, all users can only read the data from the share drive

Any suggestion?

Below is my fstab *configuration:

/dev/sda1 * * * /mnt/C * ext3 *rw,auto,noatime,defaults 0 1

Thanks

Hung

Do you have rw permission set to the contents of the the formatted harddrive? For example, if you want the whole thing to be rwx, do
chmod 777 /mnt/C/* -R. I personally, would do this:

find /mnt/C -type d | xargs chmod 777
find /mnt/C -type f | xargs chmod 666

This will make all directories in the drive writeable, readable and executable (necessary for dirs) to everyone. All files will be readable and writeable to everyone.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:24:10 -0800, Andrey Falko wrote:

> Do you have rw permission set to the contents of the the formatted
> harddrive? For example, if you want the whole thing to be rwx, do
> chmod 777 /mnt/C/* -R. I personally, would do this:
>
> find /mnt/C -type d | xargs chmod 777
> find /mnt/C -type f | xargs chmod 666
>
> This will make all directories in the drive writeable, readable and
> executable (necessary for dirs) to everyone. All files will be readable
> and writeable to everyone.

But new files will still be only writeable by their creator.

You should look at using ACLs for this.

--
Neil Bothwick

Rugged: Too heavy to lift.