Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Willie Wong

Default how to start thunderbird/firefox in a different language?

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:55:58PM +0800, Penguin Lover zhangweiwu@realss.com squawked:
> zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ LANG=en_US abiword
>
> However this method doesn't work for firefox and thunderbird. Both
> always starts in German (note German is the last, a.k.a. least preferred
> language for me, in /etc/locale.gen)
>
> I checked that I do have thunderbird installed with linguas_en_US (see
> below emerge output). If it is installed with that language version, it
> should be able to run in that language version. How can I start
> thunderbird in en_US?
>
> zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ sudo emerge -pv mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-2.0.0.19 USE="crypt ipv6 ldap replytolist xinerama xprint -bindist -debug -gnome -mozdom -moznopango" LINGUAS="de en_US -af -be -bg -ca -cs -da -el -en -en_GB -es -es_AR -es_ES -eu -fi -fr -ga -ga_IE -he -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -mk -nb -nb_NO -nl -nn -nn_NO -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -ru -sk -sl -sv -sv_SE -tr -uk -zh -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

For firefox:
Open about:config
find the variable "general.useragent.locale"
set it to the one you want, but replace underscores by hyphens:
write en-US for the value if you want US English.
write zh-CN if you want simplified chinese.

For thunderbird, presumeably something similar can be done; but I
don't use thunderbird so I cannot try it for you.

For ease of use, there is also a firefox add-on called "locale switch"
that automates the process.

HTH,

"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that
anything so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely
by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the
final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove
that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and
without faith I am nothing.'
"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't
it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you
exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't.
QED.'
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 774 days, 15:39