Old 01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Dirk Uys

Default /usr/share/config permissions

Hi

What are the permission supposed to be for the /usr/share/config directory?

On my system only root had access to this directory causing kdm to
fail when it tries to run /usr/share/kdm/Xsession. I fixed the error
by changing the permission with chmod a+rx /usr/share/config. Are
/usr/share/config supposed to be readable by any user, or have I
opened up a big security whole on my system?

I saw a simular old bug about this with kde 3.3
(http://bugs.gentoo.org/65392) where the permissions of
/usr/kde/3.3/share/config/kdm/Xsession was wrong.

Regards
Dirk

Old 01-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Philip Webb

090120 Dirk Uys wrote:
> What are the permission supposed to be for the /usr/share/config directory?

I have :

root:501 root> ls -l /usr/share
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 112 2008-10-11 15:33 config

HTH

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:10:11 +0200, Dirk Uys wrote:

> What are the permission supposed to be for the /usr/share/config
> directory?

755 here, on my ~amd64 and ~x86 machines, but 700 on my x86 MythTV
frontend. This directory belongs to several packages, so would have been
created by the first installed. It looks like at least one package is
setting it to 700.

--
Neil Bothwick

Very funny Scotty.. now beam down my pants!