Old 01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Paul Hartman

Default VMware-Workstation 6.5.0, 6.5.1 problem

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:20 AM, John Smith <tfn2kk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can't get vmware-workstation to work properly.
>
> I've tried vmware-workstation 6.5.0 and 6.5.1. Either one crashes when
> clicking the "Create a new virtual machine" button. It gives no error
> nothing it just quits the program.
> The user is in the vmware group. Everything seems to work fine except
> "Create a new virtual machine" button.
>
> Any suggestion how can i get any debug output or something.

If you run it from a terminal does it show any output there when it crashes?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:53 PM
John Smith

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:20 AM, John Smith <tfn2kk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I can't get vmware-workstation to work properly.
>>
>> I've tried vmware-workstation 6.5.0 and 6.5.1. Either one crashes when
>> clicking the "Create a new virtual machine" button. It gives no error
>> nothing it just quits the program.
>> The user is in the vmware group. Everything seems to work fine except
>> "Create a new virtual machine" button.
>>
>> Any suggestion how can i get any debug output or something.
>>

> If you run it from a terminal does it show any output there when it crashes?

Nothing no error not even any kind of message.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM, John Smith <tfn2kk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:20 AM, John Smith <tfn2kk@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I can't get vmware-workstation to work properly.
>>>
>>> I've tried vmware-workstation 6.5.0 and 6.5.1. Either one crashes when
>>> clicking the "Create a new virtual machine" button. It gives no error
>>> nothing it just quits the program.
>>> The user is in the vmware group. Everything seems to work fine except
>>> "Create a new virtual machine" button.
>>>
>>> Any suggestion how can i get any debug output or something.
>>>

>> If you run it from a terminal does it show any output there when it crashes?
>>

> Nothing no error not even any kind of message.

vmware is a wrapper script, maybe it's hiding some messages. Try to
run the actual executable. On my system it is located in:

/opt/vmware/workstation/lib/vmware/bin