Old 01-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Grant Edwards

Default Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?

I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
got a decent hard drive (160GB).

I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
like TuxRacer.

I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I just remembered
at something about a TOAD!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
> machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
> Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
> FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
> got a decent hard drive (160GB).
>
> I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
> getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
> used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
> nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
> like TuxRacer.
>
> I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
> OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
> package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
> would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).

My biggest suggestion for a slow machine is: distcc

Old 01-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag 20 Januar 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
> I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
> machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
> Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
> FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
> got a decent hard drive (160GB).
>
> I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
> getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
> used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
> nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
> like TuxRacer.
>
> I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
> OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
> package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
> would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).

if you don't need any special features, kde+koffice needs less ram than
xfce+openoffice.

And installing ooo from source is unsupport. The build breaks all the time and
you don't get anything from it. All it does is starting a second faster. It
does not need less ram nor does it run faster.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Nick Cunningham

2009/1/20 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com>

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:

> I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old

> machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron

> Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. *I'm using an nVidia PCI

> FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's

> got a decent hard drive (160GB).

> I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for

> getting the best performance out of such a machine. *It's to be

> used for basic word processing and a few games. *Hopefully the

> nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something

> like TuxRacer.

> I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and

> OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary

> package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it

> would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).

My biggest suggestion for a slow machine is: distcc

For something that slow even distcc wont do that much good, there are a number or packages that dont like distcc, and things like configure scripts will still run on the slow pc. A better option would be to use a faster pc to create binary packages and then point the slower pc to the binary repo, that way to doesnt even have to try and compile anything (which imo is crazy, im surprised OO hasnt crashed and run out of memory during its compile!).

Do some digging, theres guides on the gentoo forums and the wiki i think for setting up binpkg hosts.

- Nick

Old 01-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Dienstag 20 Januar 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
>> machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
>> Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
>> FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
>> got a decent hard drive (160GB).
>>
>> I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
>> getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
>> used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
>> nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
>> like TuxRacer.
>>
>> I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
>> OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
>> package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
>> would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).
>
> if you don't need any special features, kde+koffice needs less ram than
> xfce+openoffice.
>
> And installing ooo from source is unsupport. The build breaks all the time and
> you don't get anything from it. All it does is starting a second faster. It
> does not need less ram nor does it run faster.

OOo from source uses the Go-Oo.org patch set, the binary does not (AFAIK)

but, yes, watching compile die after an hour (or 20) is no fun :P

Old 01-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Alejandro

2009/1/20 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com>

On Dienstag 20 Januar 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:

> I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old

> machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron

> Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. *I'm using an nVidia PCI

> FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's

> got a decent hard drive (160GB).

> I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for

> getting the best performance out of such a machine. *It's to be

> used for basic word processing and a few games. *Hopefully the

> nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something

> like TuxRacer.

> I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and

> OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary

> package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it

> would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).

if you don't need any special features, kde+koffice needs less ram than

xfce+openoffice.

And installing ooo from source is unsupport. The build breaks all the time and

you don't get anything from it. All it does is starting a second faster. It

does not need less ram nor does it run faster.

"installing ooo from source is unsupport" How is this? Maybe you missundertand i think he run emerge openoffice and not openoffice-bin

Old 01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Nick Cunningham

On Dienstag 20 Januar 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:

> I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old

> machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron

> Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. *I'm using an nVidia PCI

> FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's

> got a decent hard drive (160GB).

> I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for

> getting the best performance out of such a machine. *It's to be

> used for basic word processing and a few games. *Hopefully the

> nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something

> like TuxRacer.

> I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and

> OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary

> package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it

> would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).

if you don't need any special features, kde+koffice needs less ram than

xfce+openoffice.

And installing ooo from source is unsupport. The build breaks all the time and

you don't get anything from it. All it does is starting a second faster. It

does not need less ram nor does it run faster.

"installing ooo from source is unsupport" How is this? Maybe you missundertand i think he run emerge openoffice and not openoffice-bin

I believe he means that generally speaking, trying to build OO from source on a low-end (and especially low RAM) machine is ill-advised and can often be the cause of build failures as OO is well known to require a lot of RAM and hdd space while it compiles.

- Nick

Old 01-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Old 01-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Nick Cunningham <nick@monkeydust.net> wrote:

> 2009/1/20 Alejandro <elcorreodeale@gmail.com>

>>> if you don't need any special features, kde+koffice needs less ram than
>>> xfce+openoffice.
>>>
>>> And installing ooo from source is unsupport. The build breaks all the
>>> time and
>>> you don't get anything from it. All it does is starting a second faster.
>>> It
>>> does not need less ram nor does it run faster.
>>>

>> "installing ooo from source is unsupport" How is this? Maybe you
>> missundertand i think he run emerge openoffice and not openoffice-bin
>
> I believe he means that generally speaking, trying to build OO from source
> on a low-end (and especially low RAM) machine is ill-advised and can often
> be the cause of build failures as OO is well known to require a lot of RAM
> and hdd space while it compiles.
>
> - Nick

I know it needs 5gb+ of tmpdir space, but compiling it with 256mb may
be futile

Old 01-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2009-01-20, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> My biggest suggestion for a slow machine is: distcc

I'm not too concerned about build times for large packages. The
machine isn't going to be connect to a network and once it's
in a "working" state won't be doing much emerging.

Secondly, I've never had much luck with distcc. When I last
tried it (admittedly a couple years ago), I immediately started
tripping over packages that wouldn't build using distcc.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are you still an
at ALCOHOLIC?