Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 PM

Default how to start thunderbird/firefox in a different language?

Hello. I have

zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ grep --invert-match ^# /etc/locale.gen

zh_CN.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8

For most applications, I can start it in any language I wish to use.
e.g. if I want to start abiword in en_US, I can do this:

zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ LANG=en_US abiword

However this method doesn't work for firefox and thunderbird. Both
always starts in German (note German is the last, a.k.a. least preferred
language for me, in /etc/locale.gen)

I checked that I do have thunderbird installed with linguas_en_US (see
below emerge output). If it is installed with that language version, it
should be able to run in that language version. How can I start
thunderbird in en_US?

zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ sudo emerge -pv mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-2.0.0.19 USE="crypt ipv6 ldap replytolist xinerama xprint -bindist -debug -gnome -mozdom -moznopango" LINGUAS="de en_US -af -be -bg -ca -cs -da -el -en -en_GB -es -es_AR -es_ES -eu -fi -fr -ga -ga_IE -he -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -mk -nb -nb_NO -nl -nn -nn_NO -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -ru -sk -sl -sv -sv_SE -tr -uk -zh -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Old 01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Peter Alfredsen

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 23:55:58 +0800
zhangweiwu@realss.com wrote:

> I checked that I do have thunderbird installed with linguas_en_US (see
> below emerge output). If it is installed with that language version,
> it should be able to run in that language version. How can I start
> thunderbird in en_US?

In Firefox-3, it's done like this:
go to about:config
filter for general.useragent.locale
Right-click, then modify so it contains en-US
restart firefox.

It's probably something similar for Thunderbird.

/PA

Old 01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
KH

zhangweiwu@realss.com schrieb:
> Hello. I have
>
> zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ grep --invert-match ^# /etc/locale.gen
>
> zh_CN.UTF-8 UTF-8
> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
> de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
>

> For most applications, I can start it in any language I wish to use.
> e.g. if I want to start abiword in en_US, I can do this:
>
> zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ LANG=en_US abiword
>
> However this method doesn't work for firefox and thunderbird. Both
> always starts in German (note German is the last, a.k.a. least preferred
> language for me, in /etc/locale.gen)
>
> I checked that I do have thunderbird installed with linguas_en_US (see
> below emerge output). If it is installed with that language version, it
> should be able to run in that language version. How can I start
> thunderbird in en_US?
>
> zhangweiwu@esmeralda:~$ sudo emerge -pv mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-2.0.0.19 USE="crypt ipv6 ldap replytolist xinerama xprint -bindist -debug -gnome -mozdom -moznopango" LINGUAS="de en_US -af -be -bg -ca -cs -da -el -en -en_GB -es -es_AR -es_ES -eu -fi -fr -ga -ga_IE -he -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -mk -nb -nb_NO -nl -nn -nn_NO -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -ru -sk -sl -sv -sv_SE -tr -uk -zh -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Hi,

you can define something in /etc/portage/package.use

app-office/openoffice linguas_de -linguas_en -linguas_en_GB

My example results in an only German oo.

This might be useless for you if you which to change the language every
5 mins, but it might be usable if you want to change for permanent.

kh

Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 AM
»Q«

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:18:33 -0500
Willie Wong <wwong@Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> For ease of use, there is also a firefox add-on called "locale switch"
> that automates the process.

Both "Locale Switcher" and "Quick Locale Switcher" should work with
both Thunderbird and Firefox.

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/356>

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1333>

I don't use either one, but if I had to choose, I'd first try the one by
bsmedberg, since he's a Mozilla developer.

--
»Q«
Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.