Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM

Default kernel-boot: vga=ask...

Hi,

I am using a NVIDrIA-card GeForce 7600 GT with vanilla 2.6.27.12 linux
kernel and grub boot loader.
The commandline to boot the kernel is:
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2627012 rootfstpye=reiserfs root=/dev/sda3 ro vga=31B.

This works like a charm...but the resulting resolution a little too
high.
So I replaced "vga=31B" with "vga=ask" and after rebooting press
RETURN to see all available modes. I replaced "vga=31B" with "vga=317"
(both were VESA modes, if I rember correctly.
After rebooting, the screen remains black as long as X were started.

Why does "vga=31B" does work and "vga=317" does not despite the fact
both were reported as working modes by grub.

Ah! By the way: Interrupting grub, and editing the commandline for
the kernel boot and setting "vga=317" _by hand_ works like a
charm.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Kind regards,
Meino Cramer

Old 01-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Montag, den 19.01.2009, 14:50 +0100 schrieb ext meino.cramer@gmx.de:

> Any help will be very appreciated.

Try 0x317.

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733