Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Christopher Walters

Default qt blockages...

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm not used to seeing all the additional messages below the
> blockage indication. Can someone possibly help me understand how to
> read this?
>
> Are there really application packages that cannot be installed at
> the same or is only about qt and possibly the USE flags I've got?
>
> I tried removing qjackctl (the only world package I spotted in the
> list) but that didn't help.
>
> What to try next?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
<snip>
> ('installed', '/', 'x11-libs/qt-4.3.3', 'nomerge') pulled in by
> >=x11-libs/qt-4.3:4 required by ('installed', '/',
> 'app-text/poppler-bindings-0.8.7', 'nomerge')

<snip>

> !!! The following installed packages are masked:
> - x11-libs/qt-4.3.3 (masked by: package.mask)
> /usr/portage/profiles/arch/amd64/package.mask:
> # Markus Meier <maekke@gentoo.org> (18 Jan 2009)
> # mask this version for a smooth upgrade wrt bug #248038

First, I would suggest checking to see if you have qt-4.3.3 installed (from the
line above, this looks to be the case), and if so, unmerge it - it is masked by
portage, anyway. If you do have the older version on your system, it would
block the new version and vice versa.

If that works, then great. If not, you may need to put at least
'app-text/poppler-bindings' in your package.keywords file, so you can pull in a
newer version.

Regards,
Chris

PS: Looking at the ebuild file for poppler-bindings might help.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Christopher Walters
<cjw2004d@comcast.net> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm not used to seeing all the additional messages below the
>> blockage indication. Can someone possibly help me understand how to
>> read this?
>>
>> Are there really application packages that cannot be installed at
>> the same or is only about qt and possibly the USE flags I've got?
>>
>> I tried removing qjackctl (the only world package I spotted in the
>> list) but that didn't help.
>>
>> What to try next?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
> <snip>
>> ('installed', '/', 'x11-libs/qt-4.3.3', 'nomerge') pulled in by
>> >=x11-libs/qt-4.3:4 required by ('installed', '/',
>> 'app-text/poppler-bindings-0.8.7', 'nomerge')
>
> <snip>
>
>> !!! The following installed packages are masked:
>> - x11-libs/qt-4.3.3 (masked by: package.mask)
>> /usr/portage/profiles/arch/amd64/package.mask:
>> # Markus Meier <maekke@gentoo.org> (18 Jan 2009)
>> # mask this version for a smooth upgrade wrt bug #248038
>
> First, I would suggest checking to see if you have qt-4.3.3 installed (from the
> line above, this looks to be the case), and if so, unmerge it - it is masked by
> portage, anyway. If you do have the older version on your system, it would
> block the new version and vice versa.
>
> If that works, then great. If not, you may need to put at least
> 'app-text/poppler-bindings' in your package.keywords file, so you can pull in a
> newer version.
>
> Regards,
> Chris
>
> PS: Looking at the ebuild file for poppler-bindings might help.

Chris,
Indeed, I do have 4.3.3 installed and it is masked. I guess this
must be one of those cases where the devs decided they didn't like
something they used to like as I didn't do anything to unmask it
myself.

I removed it and the blockages for emerge system have gone.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Mick

2009/1/18 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:

> Indeed, I do have 4.3.3 installed and it is masked. I guess this
> must be one of those cases where the devs decided they didn't like
> something they used to like as I didn't do anything to unmask it
> myself.
>
> I removed it and the blockages for emerge system have gone.

Unfortunately mine is not as easy:
==================================
x11-libs/qt:4

('ebuild', '/', 'x11-libs/qt-4.3.3', 'merge') pulled in by
=x11-libs/qt-4.3*:4 required by ('installed', '/',
'media-video/vlc-0.9.8a', 'nomerge')
=x11-libs/qt-4.3*:4 required by ('installed', '/',
'net-im/skype-2.0.0.63', 'nomerge')
=x11-libs/qt-4.3*:4 required by ('ebuild', '/',
'x11-libs/qscintilla-2.3.2', 'merge')
(and 3 more)

('ebuild', '/', 'x11-libs/qt-4.4.2', 'merge') pulled in by
>=x11-libs/qt-4.3:4 required by ('installed', '/',
'app-text/poppler-bindings-0.8.7', 'nomerge')
=x11-libs/qt-4* required by ('installed', '/',
'net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-0.5.7', 'nomerge')
x11-libs/qt required by world
==================================

I am running vlc-0.9.8a which is the only one available. How could I
go about this?
Mick

Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Dave Jones

Mick wrote on 19/01/09 11:31:
> 2009/1/18 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:
>

>> Indeed, I do have 4.3.3 installed and it is masked. I guess this
>> must be one of those cases where the devs decided they didn't like
>> something they used to like as I didn't do anything to unmask it
>> myself.
>>
>> I removed it and the blockages for emerge system have gone.
>>

> Unfortunately mine is not as easy:
> ==================================
> x11-libs/qt:4
>
> ('ebuild', '/', 'x11-libs/qt-4.3.3', 'merge') pulled in by
> =x11-libs/qt-4.3*:4 required by ('installed', '/',
> 'media-video/vlc-0.9.8a', 'nomerge')
> =x11-libs/qt-4.3*:4 required by ('installed', '/',
> 'net-im/skype-2.0.0.63', 'nomerge')
> =x11-libs/qt-4.3*:4 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> 'x11-libs/qscintilla-2.3.2', 'merge')
> (and 3 more)
>
> ('ebuild', '/', 'x11-libs/qt-4.4.2', 'merge') pulled in by
> >=x11-libs/qt-4.3:4 required by ('installed', '/',
> 'app-text/poppler-bindings-0.8.7', 'nomerge')
> =x11-libs/qt-4* required by ('installed', '/',
> 'net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-0.5.7', 'nomerge')
> x11-libs/qt required by world
> ==================================
>
> I am running vlc-0.9.8a which is the only one available. How could I
> go about this?

I had a similar problem here.

emerge -C qt-4.3.3
emerge -auDNv1 qt
emerge -av vlc
emerge -auDNv world

Did the trick for me.

My vlc USE flags:

X a52 aac alsa cdda cddb cdio dbus dvd ffmpeg flac hal httpd libgcrypt
libnotify matroska mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses nsplugin ogg opengl png qt4
samba sdl sse stream svg theora truetype vcd vorbis win32codecs xml xv

As an additional benefit, since the update to the new qt4 libraries the
VLC UI buttons are not messed up any more. (bug 246116)

Cheers, Dave

Old 01-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Markos Chandras

On Monday 19 January 2009 13:58:26 Dave Jones wrote:
> Mick wrote on 19/01/09 11:31:
> > 2009/1/18 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:
> >> Indeed, I do have 4.3.3 installed and it is masked. I guess this
> >> must be one of those cases where the devs decided they didn't like
> >> something they used to like as I didn't do anything to unmask it
> >> myself.
> >>
> >> I removed it and the blockages for emerge system have gone.
> >
> > Unfortunately mine is not as easy:
> > ==================================
> > x11-libs/qt:4
> >
> > ('ebuild', '/', 'x11-libs/qt-4.3.3', 'merge') pulled in by
> > =x11-libs/qt-4.3*:4 required by ('installed', '/',
> > 'media-video/vlc-0.9.8a', 'nomerge')
> > =x11-libs/qt-4.3*:4 required by ('installed', '/',
> > 'net-im/skype-2.0.0.63', 'nomerge')
> > =x11-libs/qt-4.3*:4 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> > 'x11-libs/qscintilla-2.3.2', 'merge')
> > (and 3 more)
> >
> > ('ebuild', '/', 'x11-libs/qt-4.4.2', 'merge') pulled in by
> >
> > >=x11-libs/qt-4.3:4 required by ('installed', '/',
> >
> > 'app-text/poppler-bindings-0.8.7', 'nomerge')
> > =x11-libs/qt-4* required by ('installed', '/',
> > 'net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-0.5.7', 'nomerge')
> > x11-libs/qt required by world
> > ==================================
> >
> > I am running vlc-0.9.8a which is the only one available. How could I
> > go about this?
>
> I had a similar problem here.
>
> emerge -C qt-4.3.3
> emerge -auDNv1 qt
> emerge -av vlc
> emerge -auDNv world
>
> Did the trick for me.
>
> My vlc USE flags:
>
> X a52 aac alsa cdda cddb cdio dbus dvd ffmpeg flac hal httpd libgcrypt
> libnotify matroska mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses nsplugin ogg opengl png qt4
> samba sdl sse stream svg theora truetype vcd vorbis win32codecs xml xv
>
> As an additional benefit, since the update to the new qt4 libraries the
> VLC UI buttons are not messed up any more. (bug 246116)
>
> Cheers, Dave

Since qt has been move from meta-package to separate split packages, you should
unemerge qt-4.3* and then emerge the split packages. Having split packages is a
great implementation ,so dont shoot the developers.
--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)

Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
KH

Mark Knecht schrieb:
> Hi,
> I'm not used to seeing all the additional messages below the
> blockage indication. Can someone possibly help me understand how to
> read this?
>
> Are there really application packages that cannot be installed at
> the same or is only about qt and possibly the USE flags I've got?
>
> I tried removing qjackctl (the only world package I spotted in the
> list) but that didn't help.
>
> What to try next?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
[snip]
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

[snip]

This link was great help for me. Told me everything and how to read the
blocker. So I did:

#emerge -avC qt-4.3.3
#emerge -DuavN world (This installed qt-4.4.2)

But now I do have a problem. When I run

#emerge --depclean -av

I receive the following output:
[snip]
>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

dev-db/sqlite
selected: 2.8.16-r4
protected: none
omitted: 3.6.6.2

x11-libs/qt
selected: 4.4.2
protected: none
omitted: 3.3.8b-r1

x11-libs/qt-svg
selected: 4.4.2
protected: none
omitted: none

x11-libs/qt-opengl
selected: 4.4.2
protected: none
omitted: none

x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns
selected: 4.4.2
protected: none
omitted: none

x11-libs/qt-assistant
selected: 4.4.2-r1
protected: none
omitted: none

x11-libs/qt-webkit
selected: 4.4.2
protected: none
omitted: none

What did I miss? This results in an infinite circle of unmerging and
emerging.

Thanks for any help

kh

Old 01-19-2009, 09:37 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:18 PM, KH <gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de> wrote:
> Mark Knecht schrieb:
>> Hi,
>> I'm not used to seeing all the additional messages below the
>> blockage indication. Can someone possibly help me understand how to
>> read this?
>>
>> Are there really application packages that cannot be installed at
>> the same or is only about qt and possibly the USE flags I've got?
>>
>> I tried removing qjackctl (the only world package I spotted in the
>> list) but that didn't help.
>>
>> What to try next?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
> [snip]
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked
>>
> [snip]
>

> This link was great help for me. Told me everything and how to read the
> blocker. So I did:
>
> #emerge -avC qt-4.3.3
> #emerge -DuavN world (This installed qt-4.4.2)
>
> But now I do have a problem. When I run
>
> #emerge --depclean -av
>
> I receive the following output:
> [snip]
>
> dev-db/sqlite
> selected: 2.8.16-r4
> protected: none
> omitted: 3.6.6.2
>
> x11-libs/qt
> selected: 4.4.2
> protected: none
> omitted: 3.3.8b-r1
>
> x11-libs/qt-svg
> selected: 4.4.2
> protected: none
> omitted: none
>
> x11-libs/qt-opengl
> selected: 4.4.2
> protected: none
> omitted: none
>
> x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns
> selected: 4.4.2
> protected: none
> omitted: none
>
> x11-libs/qt-assistant
> selected: 4.4.2-r1
> protected: none
> omitted: none
>
> x11-libs/qt-webkit
> selected: 4.4.2
> protected: none
> omitted: none
>
> What did I miss? This results in an infinite circle of unmerging and
> emerging.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> kh

In your /etc/make.conf file do you have the following line?

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"

You can do this on the emerge command line if you choose. See man
emerge for info on doing that.

I *think* the standard answer about why this happens is that
--depclean and a basic emerge don't search all the dependencies
exactly the same. If you add the --with-bdeps y option then they do.

Anyway, I don't seem to run into this much using this in make.conf.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Dale

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:18 PM, KH <gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de> wrote:
>
>> Mark Knecht schrieb:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm not used to seeing all the additional messages below the
>>> blockage indication. Can someone possibly help me understand how to
>>> read this?
>>>
>>> Are there really application packages that cannot be installed at
>>> the same or is only about qt and possibly the USE flags I've got?
>>>
>>> I tried removing qjackctl (the only world package I spotted in the
>>> list) but that didn't help.
>>>
>>> What to try next?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked
>>>

>> [snip]
>>

>> This link was great help for me. Told me everything and how to read the
>> blocker. So I did:
>>
>> #emerge -avC qt-4.3.3
>> #emerge -DuavN world (This installed qt-4.4.2)
>>
>> But now I do have a problem. When I run
>>
>> #emerge --depclean -av
>>
>> I receive the following output:
>> [snip]

>> dev-db/sqlite
>> selected: 2.8.16-r4
>> protected: none
>> omitted: 3.6.6.2
>>
>> x11-libs/qt
>> selected: 4.4.2
>> protected: none
>> omitted: 3.3.8b-r1
>>
>> x11-libs/qt-svg
>> selected: 4.4.2
>> protected: none
>> omitted: none
>>
>> x11-libs/qt-opengl
>> selected: 4.4.2
>> protected: none
>> omitted: none
>>
>> x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns
>> selected: 4.4.2
>> protected: none
>> omitted: none
>>
>> x11-libs/qt-assistant
>> selected: 4.4.2-r1
>> protected: none
>> omitted: none
>>
>> x11-libs/qt-webkit
>> selected: 4.4.2
>> protected: none
>> omitted: none
>>
>> What did I miss? This results in an infinite circle of unmerging and
>> emerging.
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>
>> kh
>>

> In your /etc/make.conf file do you have the following line?
>
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"
>
> You can do this on the emerge command line if you choose. See man
> emerge for info on doing that.
>
> I *think* the standard answer about why this happens is that
> --depclean and a basic emerge don't search all the dependencies
> exactly the same. If you add the --with-bdeps y option then they do.
>
> Anyway, I don't seem to run into this much using this in make.conf.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark

+1 I added that to my make.conf a while ago and it helped with a lot of
this sort of thing. Wonder if it should be a default thing?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> [snip]
>>>

>>> This link was great help for me. Told me everything and how to read the
>>> blocker. So I did:
>>>
>>> #emerge -avC qt-4.3.3
>>> #emerge -DuavN world (This installed qt-4.4.2)
>>>
>>> But now I do have a problem. When I run
>>>
>>> #emerge --depclean -av
>>>
>>> I receive the following output:
>>> [snip]

>>> dev-db/sqlite
>>> selected: 2.8.16-r4
>>> protected: none
>>> omitted: 3.6.6.2
>>>
>>> x11-libs/qt
>>> selected: 4.4.2
>>> protected: none
>>> omitted: 3.3.8b-r1
>>>
>>> x11-libs/qt-svg
>>> selected: 4.4.2
>>> protected: none
>>> omitted: none
>>>
>>> x11-libs/qt-opengl
>>> selected: 4.4.2
>>> protected: none
>>> omitted: none
>>>
>>> x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns
>>> selected: 4.4.2
>>> protected: none
>>> omitted: none
>>>
>>> x11-libs/qt-assistant
>>> selected: 4.4.2-r1
>>> protected: none
>>> omitted: none
>>>
>>> x11-libs/qt-webkit
>>> selected: 4.4.2
>>> protected: none
>>> omitted: none
>>>
>>> What did I miss? This results in an infinite circle of unmerging and
>>> emerging.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help
>>>
>>> kh
>>>

>> In your /etc/make.conf file do you have the following line?
>>
>> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"
>>
>> You can do this on the emerge command line if you choose. See man
>> emerge for info on doing that.
>>
>> I *think* the standard answer about why this happens is that
>> --depclean and a basic emerge don't search all the dependencies
>> exactly the same. If you add the --with-bdeps y option then they do.
>>
>> Anyway, I don't seem to run into this much using this in make.conf.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Mark
>>

> +1 I added that to my make.conf a while ago and it helped with a lot of
> this sort of thing. Wonder if it should be a default thing?
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Could also be that you don't have slots defined for some of those in
your world? for example do you have qt or qt:3 etc?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> +1 I added that to my make.conf a while ago and it helped with a lot of
>> this sort of thing. Wonder if it should be a default thing?
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>

> Could also be that you don't have slots defined for some of those in
> your world? for example do you have qt or qt:3 etc?

I don't appear to have anything qt related in my world file.

root@smoker / # cat /var/lib/portage/world | grep qt
root@smoker / #

The reason I added that a while back was not related to qt but was doing
a circle thing with --depclean wanting to remove packages and then -uvDN
wanting to put them back again. Adding the --with-bdeps y fixed the
problem and I haven't had the problem since.

Hence the question, should this be a default option? I'm not the only
one that has ran into this.

Dale

:-) :-)