Old 01-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Willie Wong

Default Trouble decrypting message from firefox ebuild

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:49:10PM +0200, Penguin Lover Alan McKinnon squawked:
> If I read that message out loud, it sounds suspiciously like a babelfish
> translation from Japanese to English. Whatever it is, the author of the
> message is certainly not a native English speaker.

You have way too much faith in the education system provided by
English speaking countries. While I cannot argue for most of those
countries, I can claim, by example, that plenty of
native-English-speaking red-blooded Americans write in a way not
dissimilar to the snipplet cited above.

This is not to say your conclusion is wrong; I just don't think it is
possible to conclude from the evidence given that the author of the
message is not a native English speaker, when I consider the kind of
junk submitted to my in-law, who teaches at a fairly affluent suburban
school district, by students who pretend that they are writing in
English.

Of course, you can bloody-well argue, by way of Henry Higgins, that
"in America they haven't spoken [English] for years."

Herry Edsel Smith of Albany, NY:
Born 1903- Died 1942
Looked up the elevator shaft
to see if the car was on the
way down. It was.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 772 days, 16:43