Old 12-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Keyboard layout switching with Alt+Shift

In KDE 3.5.10, I can't switch keyboard layouts with Alt+Shift even
though that option is enabled in the control center:

Regional & Accessibility->Keyboard Layout
->Xkb Option->Layout Switching->[x] Alt+Shift change layout.

The generated "Command" is:

setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle

It works fine in KDE 4.1.3. It even generates the same "Command".
Furthermore, loading the KDE 4 keyboard layout applet in KDE 3 works and
I can switch with Alt+Shift. The KDE 3 one doesn't. What am I missing?

Old 12-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> In KDE 3.5.10, I can't switch keyboard layouts with Alt+Shift even
> though that option is enabled in the control center:
>
> Regional & Accessibility->Keyboard Layout
> ->Xkb Option->Layout Switching->[x] Alt+Shift change layout.
>
> The generated "Command" is:
>
> setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle
>
> It works fine in KDE 4.1.3. It even generates the same "Command".
> Furthermore, loading the KDE 4 keyboard layout applet in KDE 3 works and
> I can switch with Alt+Shift. The KDE 3 one doesn't. What am I missing?

I can't directly answer the KDE related question, but I do it like this in
my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it works fine either in Fluxbox, or in KDE (with
Fbx as the WM):

Section "InputDevice"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb,de"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:m enu"

HTH.
Mick

Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Mick wrote:

In KDE 3.5.10, I can't switch keyboard layouts with Alt+Shift even
though that option is enabled in the control center:

Regional & Accessibility->Keyboard Layout
->Xkb Option->Layout Switching->[x] Alt+Shift change layout.

The generated "Command" is:

setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle

It works fine in KDE 4.1.3. It even generates the same "Command".
Furthermore, loading the KDE 4 keyboard layout applet in KDE 3 works and
I can switch with Alt+Shift. The KDE 3 one doesn't. What am I missing?

I can't directly answer the KDE related question, but I do it like this in
my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it works fine either in Fluxbox, or in KDE (with
Fbx as the WM):

Section "InputDevice"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb,de"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:m enu"

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it doesn't really do a nice job.
It enabled alt+shift switching but changes the layout globally instead
of just in the application that has focus, I don't get a tray icon that
tells me the current layout and shortcuts (like CTRL+C/V for copy/paste)
stop working when not in a latin alphabet layout (I use us (English), de
(German) and gr (Greek) as layouts).

I also posted in the KDE list but no one knows how to fix this :P