Old 11-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Helmut Jarausch

Default Can't emerge sandbox

On 6 Nov, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recent versions of portage have suggested an emerge -e world, so I thought
> I'd try it. It got as far as sandbox, which failed with the once-common "C
> compiler cannot create executables" error. Of course I
> tried "FEATURES=-sandbox emerge sandbox" but that failed with the same
> error.
>
> I wondered what is set wrongly in my environment, so I booted a minimal
> installation CD and chrooted into the system, but with the same result.
>
> Can anyone suggest where my problem might lie? I've attached the log file.
> I'm confused by the apparent references in it to the cross-compiler. Google
> seems to have only old references.
>
> This is a dual-Opteron box with a mostly-amd64 setup - only a few packages
> are ~amd64. I'm also running an emerge -eq world on another amd64 box,
> which has had no problem with sandbox. Same versions of portage and sandbox
> on both machines.

The lines
configure:2292: i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=opteron -O2 -pipe conftest.c >&5
/usr/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

look like a misconfigured gcc.

Can you emerge any package which requires the C-compiler?
Try
gcc-config -l
and look which gcc is selected and if you can select a different one.
Then - with this one selected - reemerge the probably newer
version of gcc which was broken.

I hope this helps,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Mick

On Thursday 06 November 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recent versions of portage have suggested an emerge -e world, so I thought
> I'd try it. It got as far as sandbox, which failed with the once-common "C
> compiler cannot create executables" error. Of course I
> tried "FEATURES=-sandbox emerge sandbox" but that failed with the same
> error.

Try this syntax:

FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge sandbox

Also, do you have userpriv in your portage FEATURES? May need to remove it
too for this purpose.
Mick

Old 11-07-2008, 06:42 PM
"Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto"

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recent versions of portage have suggested an emerge -e world, so I thought
> I'd try it. It got as far as sandbox, which failed with the once-common "C
> compiler cannot create executables" error. Of course I
> tried "FEATURES=-sandbox emerge sandbox" but that failed with the same
> error.
>
> I wondered what is set wrongly in my environment, so I booted a minimal
> installation CD and chrooted into the system, but with the same result.
>
> Can anyone suggest where my problem might lie? I've attached the log file.
> I'm confused by the apparent references in it to the cross-compiler. Google
> seems to have only old references.
>
> This is a dual-Opteron box with a mostly-amd64 setup - only a few packages
> are ~amd64. I'm also running an emerge -eq world on another amd64 box,
> which has had no problem with sandbox. Same versions of portage and sandbox
> on both machines.

/usr/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such
file or directory

Could you try
locate crt1.o
?

By the way, why are you using gcc 4.2? I would either stick with the
stable gcc 4.1 or use gcc 4.3 (which is used by a number of recent
distributions, is used even in Debian Lenny - which should be released
shortly - and has a number of improvements)

Old 11-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 06 November 2008 18:42:44 Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> The lines
> configure:2292: i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=opteron -O2 -pipe
> conftest.c >&5 /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/ld: crt1.o: No such
> file: No such file or directory collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> look like a misconfigured gcc.

That was it.

> Can you emerge any package which requires the C-compiler?
> Try
> gcc-config -l

$ gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.2.2 *

[2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.2 *

$ qfile i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.2.2
cross-i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc (/etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.2.2)

I did have the cross-compiler stuff installed when I was experimenting with
distcc, but I removed it long ago. Looks like something hung on.

A simple emerge -C cross-i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc corrected the problem, as
now:

$ gcc-config -l
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.2 *

...and emerge -q1 sandbox runs to completion. I still don't know though why
only sandbox was affected - 21 other packages were merged ok.

> I hope this helps,

Certainly did - thanks. Now to figure out how to resume the emerge -e world
from where it stopped :-)

Thanks also to the others who offered help.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:35:27 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> Certainly did - thanks. Now to figure out how to resume the emerge -e
> world from where it stopped :-)

emerge --resume

Single package emerges don't affect the resume list.

--
Neil Bothwick

Do PAL taglines take up two scanlines?