Old 11-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Nickolay Hodyunya

Default lzma archives

How to extract lzma archives?
--
Regards, Nickolay Hodyunya.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:50 PM
"Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto"

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Nickolay Hodyunya <nickolayh@gmail.com> wrote:
> How to extract lzma archives?

by lzma archive, you probably mean a lzma-compressed tar archive.
You can extract them with
lzma -dc compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar -xv -f -
or, if your version of tar supports it,
tar --lzma -xv -f compressedarchive.tar.lzma

The command lzma comes from app-arch/lzma-utils, and these days the
distros ship it by default.

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds

Old 11-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Wednesday 5 November 2008, 17:38, Nickolay Hodyunya wrote:
> How to extract lzma archives?

$ eix lzma
* app-arch/lzma
Available versions: ~4.27 ~4.43 ~4.57 {doc}
Homepage: http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html

[u] app-arch/lzma-utils
Available versions: 4.32.6 4.32.7 {nocxx}
Installed versions: 4.32.6(13:00:02 22/09/08)(-nocxx)
Homepage: http://tukaani.org/lzma/

Old 11-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Erik Hahn

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 11:38:44PM +0700, Nickolay Hodyunya wrote:
> How to extract lzma archives?

emerge lzma-utils && man lzma

--
v4sw5RUYhw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7Lw3+2Xm0l6/7Gi2e2t3b6AKMen5+7a16s0Sr1p-5.62/-6.56g6OR

Old 11-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Rodolphe Rocca

Nickolay Hodyunya wrote:

How to extract lzma archives?

package: lzma-utils
command: lzma -d <filename>

Old 11-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Florian Philipp

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto schrieb:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Nickolay Hodyunya <nickolayh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How to extract lzma archives?
>
> by lzma archive, you probably mean a lzma-compressed tar archive.
> You can extract them with
> lzma -dc compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar -xv -f -

This command line can be simplified:
unlzma -c compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar xv

Most better desktop archive managers (for example file-roller for GNOME)
can handle these archives nowadays.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

<nickolayh@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> How to extract lzma archives?
> >
> > by lzma archive, you probably mean a lzma-compressed tar archive.
> > You can extract them with
> > lzma -dc compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar -xv -f -
>
> This command line can be simplified:
> unlzma -c compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar xv

why not directly

tar --lzma -xvf compressedarchive.tar.lzma

then? (I hope I got the syntax right)

Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 PM
"Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto"

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Florian Philipp
<lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
> Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto schrieb:
>> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Nickolay Hodyunya <nickolayh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> How to extract lzma archives?
>>
>> by lzma archive, you probably mean a lzma-compressed tar archive.
>> You can extract them with
>> lzma -dc compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar -xv -f -
>
> This command line can be simplified:
> unlzma -c compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar xv

I like to do things right (I love Math, exactness and rigor). From
tar's info page

If you don't specify this argument [the argument to -f] , then
`tar' will examine the
environment variable `TAPE'. If it is set, its value will be used as
the archive name. Otherwise, `tar' will use the default archive,
determined at the compile time. [...] If there is no tape drive
attached, or the default is not meaningful, then `tar' will print an
error message. The error message might look
roughly like one of the following:

tar: can't open /dev/rmt8 : No such device or address
tar: can't open /dev/rsmt0 : I/O error

To avoid confusion, we recommend that you always specify an archive file
name by using `--file=ARCHIVE-NAME' (`-f ARCHIVE-NAME') when writing
your `tar' commands.

Regarding old-style tar options (that is, tar options without a dash):

old style syntax makes it difficult to match
option letters with their corresponding arguments, and is often
confusing
[...]

This old way of writing `tar' options can surprise even experienced
users. For example, the two commands:

tar cfz archive.tar.gz file
tar -cfz archive.tar.gz file

are quite different.

So I use either tar --lzma -xv -f compressedarchive.tar.lzma or, when
using an old tar,
lzma -dc compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar -xv -f -

Old 11-07-2008, 07:50 AM

"Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto" <please.no.spam.here@gmail.com> wrote:

> This old way of writing `tar' options can surprise even experienced
> users. For example, the two commands:
>
> tar cfz archive.tar.gz file
> tar -cfz archive.tar.gz file
>
> are quite different.
>

> So I use either tar --lzma -xv -f compressedarchive.tar.lzma or, when
> using an old tar,
> lzma -dc compressedarchive.tar.lzma | tar -xv -f -

The "correct" official tar syntax does not use '-'. If you like to be 100%
that a tar command should work, ddon't use '-' in front of options.

BTW: "star" autodetects 7z compression and calls the program "p7zip" to unpack
the archive transparently.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 11-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Freitag 07 November 2008 09:50:45 schrieb Joerg Schilling:

> The "correct" official tar syntax does not use '-'. If you like to be 100%
> that a tar command should work, ddon't use '-' in front of options.

Yes, sure. That's why

% tar --lzma tvf /gentoo/distfiles/texlive-module-context-
vim.doc-2008.tar.lzma
tar: You must specify one of the `-Acdtrux' options
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.

just works. Or does it need to be -tvf? The "correct" syntax is the one used
by the version of tar one is using. For the most of us, this is GNU tar.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733