Old 11-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Default lzma archives

Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@nsn.com> wrote:

> Am Freitag 07 November 2008 09:50:45 schrieb Joerg Schilling:
>
> > The "correct" official tar syntax does not use '-'. If you like to be 100%
> > that a tar command should work, ddon't use '-' in front of options.
>
> Yes, sure. That's why
>
> % tar --lzma tvf /gentoo/distfiles/texlive-module-context-
> vim.doc-2008.tar.lzma
> tar: You must specify one of the `-Acdtrux' options
> Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.
>
> just works. Or does it need to be -tvf? The "correct" syntax is the one used
> by the version of tar one is using. For the most of us, this is GNU tar.

GNU tar is not 100% with parsing command lines in a standard compliant way,
but omitting the '-' is correct.

It you add "--lzma" you use a 100% on-portable command line.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Freitag 07 November 2008 11:15:09 schrieb Joerg Schilling:

> GNU tar is not 100% with parsing command lines in a standard compliant way,
> but omitting the '-' is correct.

Which standard?

> It you add "--lzma" you use a 100% on-portable command line.

So what?

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 11-07-2008, 09:46 AM

Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@nsn.com> wrote:

> Am Freitag 07 November 2008 11:15:09 schrieb Joerg Schilling:
>
> > GNU tar is not 100% with parsing command lines in a standard compliant way,
> > but omitting the '-' is correct.
>
> Which standard?

SUSv2, the precursor of SUSv3 (also known as POSIX.1-2001).

SUSv2 is the latest standard that includes tar.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Freitag, 7. November 2008 11:46:30 schrieb Joerg Schilling:

> SUSv2, the precursor of SUSv3 (also known as POSIX.1-2001).

OK, thanks.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 11-08-2008, 03:57 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:46:30AM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> SUSv2 is the latest standard that includes tar.

And we should use pax instead of tar looking to SUSv3.

Not sure pax can internaly deal with lzma file format.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 11-08-2008, 06:00 PM

Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:46:30AM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
> > SUSv2 is the latest standard that includes tar.
>
> And we should use pax instead of tar looking to SUSv3.
>
> Not sure pax can internaly deal with lzma file format.

There are many pax implementations and the pax implementation that is usually
seen on Linux is based on GNU cpio. This program has more problems than GNU
tar...

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 11-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Nicolas Sebrecht

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 08:00:38PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> There are many pax implementations and the pax implementation that is usually
> seen on Linux is based on GNU cpio.

Weird. The implementation that I've ever seen on Linux platforms is the BSD one.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 11-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 08:00:38PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
> > There are many pax implementations and the pax implementation that is usually
> > seen on Linux is based on GNU cpio.
>
> Weird. The implementation that I've ever seen on Linux platforms is the BSD one.

There are two different "BSD" pax implementations.

As there is a new "archive library" on FreeBSD that tries to allow different
CLI implementation bases on the same basic code (similar to what star does),
there may even a third pax implementation on *BSD.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)