Old 11-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Daniel Troeder

Default Does portage keep a copy of the file which it installs in the system

Am Mittwoch, den 05.11.2008, 12:50 +0530 schrieb Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan
Neomal:
> Does portage keep a copy of the file which it installs in the system?
Yes: /var/db/pkg (/var/db/pkg/*/*/CONTENTS)

The information in /var/db/pkg is more nicely accessed through the
utilities in app-portage/portage-utils and app-portage/gentoolkit.
Install theses packages and play with the tools - it will make your
gentoo-life a lot nicer
A must (at least for me) is also app-portage/eix to access the
information in /usr/portage quickly.

> Because after the intial installation the gentoo system only contains
> few packages and it takes up about 2.5 GB … Where other distro’s like
> slackware would take up 2.5 GB for every thing with out KDE or
> Gnome .
1st:
# rm /usr/portage/distfiles/*

Then: Gentoo installs (in binary distros terms) all "*-dev" packages
(all libs and headers), as it needs this for compiling - that blows the
system a lot.

In my system (GNOME, lots of servers, development software) the
installed package DB (/var/db/pkg) is about 200 MB.
The portage tree (/usr/portage) is about 500 MB for everybody...

> Where should I look for information …
* Use 'qsize' from app-portage/portage-utils to find out package sizes.
* Use 'du -sm /* /*/* | sort -n' to take a first peak at how files are
distributed on your disk.

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key: http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887