Old 11-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Alan McKinnon

Default Does portage keep a copy of the file which it installs in the system

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 09:20:44 Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Does portage keep a copy of the file which it installs in the system?
> Because after the intial installation the gentoo system only contains
> few packages and it takes up about 2.5 GB ... Where other distro's like
> slackware would take up 2.5 GB for every thing with out KDE or Gnome .

Use df, du and such tools to figure it out for yourself.

The biggest directory is usually distfiles which contains theoriginal sources
portage unpacked to build the package

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 05 November 2008, Daniel Troeder wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 05.11.2008, 12:50 +0530 schrieb Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan
>
> Neomal:
> > Does portage keep a copy of the file which it installs in the system?
>
> Yes: /var/db/pkg (/var/db/pkg/*/*/CONTENTS)

no, that is just a LIST.
.

> > Because after the intial installation the gentoo system only contains
> > few packages and it takes up about 2.5 GB … Where other distro’s like
> > slackware would take up 2.5 GB for every thing with out KDE or
> > Gnome .
>
> Then: Gentoo installs (in binary distros terms) all "*-dev" packages
> (all libs and headers), as it needs this for compiling - that blows the
> system a lot.

a bit but yes.

> In my system (GNOME, lots of servers, development software) the
> installed package DB (/var/db/pkg) is about 200 MB.
> The portage tree (/usr/portage) is about 500 MB for everybody...
>
> > Where should I look for information …
>
> * Use 'qsize' from app-portage/portage-utils to find out package sizes.
> * Use 'du -sm /* /*/* | sort -n' to take a first peak at how files are
> distributed on your disk.

and don't forget that du is lying - a lot.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 18:26:35 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > * Use 'qsize' from app-portage/portage-utils to find out package sizes.
> > * Use 'du -sm /* /*/* | sort -n' to take a first peak at how files are
> > distributed on your disk.
>
> and don't forget that du is lying - a lot.

No it doesn't, du is very exact.

It's just exact in ways the user seldom expects it be exact in. Especially
when they have the block size wrong, or don't understand SI units (that's OK,
nobody understands SI units) or include symlinks, or don't grok sparse
files...

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 05 November 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 November 2008 18:26:35 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > > * Use 'qsize' from app-portage/portage-utils to find out package sizes.
> > > * Use 'du -sm /* /*/* | sort -n' to take a first peak at how files are
> > > distributed on your disk.
> >
> > and don't forget that du is lying - a lot.
>
> No it doesn't, du is very exact.

nope, it is lying.

du -h /var

31G /var

df -h
/dev/md2 18G 5,4G 13G 31% /var

as I said - lying

Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 20:39:54 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> > > and don't forget that du is lying - a lot.
> >
> > No it doesn't, du is very exact.
>
> nope, it is lying.

No it's not :-)

Be prepared to find out stuff:

> du -h /var
>
> 31G /var

This is the total size of all files below /var, measured as actual allocatable
disk space consumed, not the sum of the size of all files.

> df -h
> /dev/md2 18G 5,4G 13G 31% /var

This is the *filesystem* mounted at /var, the data comes from it's superblock

> as I said - lying

I say you have other filesystems mounted below /var somewhere, about 25G worth
of stuff. Or, you have a 25G sparse file :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 05 November 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 November 2008 20:39:54 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> > > No it doesn't, du is very exact.
> >
> > nope, it is lying.
>
> No it's not :-)
>
> Be prepared to find out stuff:
> > du -h /var
> >
> > 31G /var
>
> This is the total size of all files below /var, measured as actual
> allocatable disk space consumed, not the sum of the size of all files.
>
> > df -h
> > /dev/md2 18G 5,4G 13G 31% /var
>
> This is the *filesystem* mounted at /var, the data comes from it's
> superblock
>
> > as I said - lying
>
> I say you have other filesystems mounted below /var somewhere, about 25G
> worth of stuff. Or, you have a 25G sparse file :-)

nope. I do have a 2gb tempfs mounted at /var/tmp/portage, but then I would get
20GB overall. Also the partition size is 18gb. So du is lying. Well, the fact,
that I am using a filesystem with compression, makes du lying even worse *fg*.