Old 11-05-2008, 02:01 AM
"Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal"

Default Installing software without an internet connection

Hi

*I was able to complete the Gentoo installation and boot
into my system successfully. I only downloaded the Live CD, But the live CD
only contains a limited number of packages and... I do not have an internet
connection at home since its very expensive for us.

*

*Is their any possible way that i can get a Software
collection downloaded for my Gentoo box . I have a P3 with 256 RAM when xfce is
combined with Gnome my PC runs slow. I am not much of a xfce/Gnome /KDE fan but
since I have no way of getting packages in to my PC I am facing difficulties.

*

*

Also my gentoo root partition (/) is only 5GB But it has already
consumed almost 50% of the partition space. Is their a possible way of getting
more spacxe freed in the PC .

*

*

Thanks & Regards,

*

Gayan
Lorenzu Hewa | Sub Officer | Wholesale Banking Corporate Service Center
| Standard Chartered Bank

(: 0115-397335): 0773-652003 6: 0115-397337 *: GayanNeomal.LorenzuHewa@standardchartered.com

*

*

*

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the addressee, do not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this email or any attachments. If received in error, notify the sender immediately and delete this email and any attachments from your system. Emails cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free as the message and any attachments could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, delayed, incomplete or amended. Standard Chartered PLC and its subsidiaries do not accept liability for damage caused by this email or any attachments and may monitor email traffic.

Standard Chartered PLC is incorporated in England with limited liability under company number 966425 and has its registered office at 1 Aldermanbury Square, London, EC2V 7SB.

Standard Chartered Bank ("SCB") is incorporated in England with limited liability by Royal Charter 1853, under reference ZC18. The Principal Office of SCB is situated in England at 1 Aldermanbury Square, London EC2V 7SB. In the United Kingdom, SCB is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority under FSA register number 114276.

If you are receiving this email from SCB outside the UK, please click http://www.standardchartered.com/global/email_disclaimer.html to refer to the information on other jurisdictions.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:53 AM
"M. Sitorus"

maybe this link will help :
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-79884-highlight-networkless+scripts.html

as for portage tree, you could update your portage tree using
emerge-webrsync. Just download the portage tree snapshots tarball,
then put it on /tmp/emerge-webrsync/

--
Salam,

Marc

Old 11-05-2008, 05:24 AM
"Dirk Uys"

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal
<GayanNeomal.LorenzuHewa@standardchartered.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was able to complete the Gentoo installation and boot into my system
> successfully. I only downloaded the Live CD, But the live CD only contains a
> limited number of packages and... I do not have an internet connection at
> home since its very expensive for us.
>
> Is their any possible way that i can get a Software collection downloaded
> for my Gentoo box . I have a P3 with 256 RAM when xfce is combined with
> Gnome my PC runs slow. I am not much of a xfce/Gnome /KDE fan but since I
> have no way of getting packages in to my PC I am facing difficulties.
>
> Also my gentoo root partition (/) is only 5GB But it has already consumed
> almost 50% of the partition space. Is their a possible way of getting more
> spacxe freed in the PC .
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Gayan Lorenzu Hewa | Sub Officer | Wholesale Banking Corporate Service
> Center | Standard Chartered Bank
>
> (: 0115-397335): 0773-652003 6: 0115-397337 *:
> GayanNeomal.LorenzuHewa@standardchartered.com

Did you get the minimal live CD? If possible, try to get the live cd
that at least contains a stage3 tarbal, a portage snapshot, and some
precompiled packages.

As a side note: for a PC running on low specs I would recommend using
a window manager like WindowMaker or IceWM. Both of them are very
lightweight.

Regards
Dirk

Old 11-05-2008, 06:18 AM
"Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal"

I Used the Live CD ... It does contain few packages like X11,xfce4, gdm
, some network utils,vim . But I need to get other packages which I
need. lIke Gcj , fluxbox , mpg321 ...

Even though it has only few packages installed it consumes a lot of disk
space... that another problem im having.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:49 AM
"Dirk Uys"

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal
<GayanNeomal.LorenzuHewa@standardchartered.com> wrote:
> I Used the Live CD ... It does contain few packages like X11,xfce4, gdm
> , some network utils,vim . But I need to get other packages which I
> need. lIke Gcj , fluxbox , mpg321 ...
>
> Even though it has only few packages installed it consumes a lot of disk
> space... that another problem im having.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Gayan Lorenzu Hewa | Sub Officer | Wholesale Banking Corporate Service
> Center | Standard Chartered Bank
> (: 0115-397335): 0773-652003 6: 0115-397337 *:
> GayanNeomal.LorenzuHewa@standardchartered.com

I used to run an offline gentoo setup. You can use "emerge -upvf
<package-name(s)>" to get a list of files you need to obtain. Pipe the
output of that to some file, do some grep/sed to remove duplicates and
remove the multiple urls.

Write a script to fetch all the files in your file list. It can be as
simple as "for file in `cat filelist` do wget $URL/$file; done;" When
you get to an internet connection, run the script to fetch all the
files.

Copy the files you just downloaded to /usr/portage/dist and emerge the
package normally.

Here is a link to a project I used before:
http://www.tlug.org.za/wiki/index.php/Ogentools. I don't know if it's
still active?

The /usr/portage/distfiles directory can very quickly grow, clean it
up every now and then. Check the /var folder. When aborting ebuilds
with ctrl-c some files are left behind in /var/tmp/portage/.

Lastly I'd like to say, I feel for you, running gentoo offline can
sometimes be a painful process.

Regards
Dirk

Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 AM
"Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal"

Hi,
Thnks for the tip I shall try this and let y'll know the results

.................................................. .........

Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal wrote:
Is their any possible way that i can get a Software collection
downloaded for my Gentoo box . I have a P3 with 256 RAM

For this machine I don't recommend Gentoo, sorry (unless you want a
text-only box without X).

Also, without an internet connection I would try something like Debian
which has all its packages on the downloadable ISO images.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:52 PM
"Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto"

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal
> <GayanNeomal.LorenzuHewa@standardchartered.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I was able to complete the Gentoo installation and boot into my system
>> successfully. I only downloaded the Live CD, But the live CD only contains a
>> limited number of packages and... I do not have an internet connection at
>> home since its very expensive for us.
>>
>> Is their any possible way that i can get a Software collection downloaded
>> for my Gentoo box . I have a P3 with 256 RAM when xfce is combined with
>> Gnome my PC runs slow. I am not much of a xfce/Gnome /KDE fan but since I
>> have no way of getting packages in to my PC I am facing difficulties.
What do you mean "xfce combined with Gnome" ?

> As a side note: for a PC running on low specs I would recommend using
> a window manager like WindowMaker or IceWM. Both of them are very
> lightweight.

Xfce is light enough. I'm using it right now, and I like it very much.
It is very lightweight, occupies negligible RAM, and also occupies
little disk space:

equery size xfce-base/
* size of xfce-base/libxfce4mcs-4.4.2
Total files : 44
Total size : 285.76 KiB
* size of xfce-base/libxfce4util-4.4.2
Total files : 68
Total size : 527.11 KiB
* size of xfce-base/libxfcegui4-4.4.2
Total files : 114
Total size : 1287.49 KiB
* size of xfce-base/thunar-0.9.0-r2
Total files : 530
Total size : 9990.27 KiB
* size of xfce-base/xfce-mcs-manager-4.4.2
Total files : 199
Total size : 601.28 KiB
* size of xfce-base/xfce-mcs-plugins-4.4.2-r1
Total files : 228
Total size : 1494.46 KiB
* size of xfce-base/xfce-utils-4.4.2-r1
Total files : 87
Total size : 483.62 KiB
* size of xfce-base/xfce4-4.4.2
Total files : 4
Total size : 5.57 KiB
* size of xfce-base/xfce4-panel-4.4.2
Total files : 290
Total size : 1638.96 KiB
* size of xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.4.2
Total files : 259
Total size : 2215.87 KiB
* size of xfce-base/xfdesktop-4.4.2-r2
Total files : 254
Total size : 4127.12 KiB
* size of xfce-base/xfwm4-4.4.2
Total files : 1435
Total size : 3048.79 KiB

equery size xfce-extra/
[ Searching for packages matching xfce-extra/... ]
* size of xfce-extra/exo-0.3.4
Total files : 324
Total size : 3297.70 KiB
* size of xfce-extra/xfce4-mixer-4.4.2
Total files : 188
Total size : 624.86 KiB

And look at how little memory it consumes:
$ free -m
total used free shared
buffers cached
Mem: 884 78 806 0
6 43
-/+ buffers/cache: 28 855
Swap: 972 0 972

This is from a just-booted system, with a gkrellm open, some daemons,
and an aterm (used to run the command 'free'). So only 28 MB used,
total (including Xfce plus everything else) (although I imagine the is
some kernel memory that does not go in this figure; I'm not an OS
expert). There is no need to go the path of Fluxbox; Xfce delivers all
the speed and featherweight you need, while being very ease to use,
vastly configurable, feature-rich, and good-looking.

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds

Old 11-05-2008, 03:02 PM

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:49 AM, Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal
> <GayanNeomal.LorenzuHewa@standardchartered.com> wrote:
>> I Used the Live CD ... It does contain few packages like X11,xfce4, gdm
>> , some network utils,vim . But I need to get other packages which I
>> need. lIke Gcj , fluxbox , mpg321 ...
>>
>> Even though it has only few packages installed it consumes a lot of disk
>> space... that another problem im having.
>>

> I used to run an offline gentoo setup. You can use "emerge -upvf
> <package-name(s)>" to get a list of files you need to obtain. Pipe the
> output of that to some file, do some grep/sed to remove duplicates and
> remove the multiple urls.
>
> Write a script to fetch all the files in your file list. It can be as
> simple as "for file in `cat filelist` do wget $URL/$file; done;" When
> you get to an internet connection, run the script to fetch all the
> files.
Why don't you just run wget -i filelist? In fact, you do not even need
to edit the filelist to remove duplicates; you can just use wget's -nc
option.

So you can use wget -nc -i filelist
or, if you want to do it in the background
wget -nc -i filelist -b --progress=dot:mega

> The /usr/portage/distfiles directory can very quickly grow, clean it
> up every now and then.
I suggest the tool eclean (part of gentoolkit).