FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64

I have several machines with core2-duo chips. Some run x86, others
amd64. All are gentoo.

The http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd has a version for
x86. I realize it will boot on all my systems. I am hoping that

1. I can use it to install either amd64 or x86 gentoo

2. I can use it to repair amd64 or x86 gentoo systems.

Is this correct and if not what things will I be unable to do for amd64?

thanks,
allan
 
Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64

At Tue, 04 Nov 2008 15:35:26 -0500 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

> I have several machines with core2-duo chips. Some run x86, others
> amd64. All are gentoo.
>
> The http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd has a version for
> x86. I realize it will boot on all my systems. I am hoping that
>
> 1. I can use it to install either amd64 or x86 gentoo
>
> 2. I can use it to repair amd64 or x86 gentoo systems.
>
> Is this correct and if not what things will I be unable to do for amd64?

Oops--I just now booted it on an x86 and it states how to do it for
amd64.

Sorry for the noise,
allan
 
Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64

On Dienstag 04 November 2008, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> I have several machines with core2-duo chips. Some run x86, others
> amd64. All are gentoo.
>
> The http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd has a version for
> x86. I realize it will boot on all my systems. I am hoping that
>
> 1. I can use it to install either amd64 or x86 gentoo

yes

>
> 2. I can use it to repair amd64 or x86 gentoo systems.

yes
 
Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Dirk Heinrichs
 
Default systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64

Am Dienstag, 4. November 2008 22:13:09 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> On Dienstag 04 November 2008, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> > I have several machines with core2-duo chips. Some run x86, others
> > amd64. All are gentoo.
> >
> > The http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd has a version for
> > x86. I realize it will boot on all my systems. I am hoping that
> >
> > 1. I can use it to install either amd64 or x86 gentoo
>
> yes
>
> > 2. I can use it to repair amd64 or x86 gentoo systems.
>
> yes

I also looked at systemrescuecd some time ago, but finally I'm using GRML now
for rescue purposes (oh, and to install Gentoo systems :-) ). Damn, those
folks even made me switch to zsh ;-).

Bye...

Dirk
 
Old 11-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Momesso Andrea
 
Default systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:13:09PM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Dienstag 04 November 2008, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> > I have several machines with core2-duo chips. Some run x86, others
> > amd64. All are gentoo.
> >
> > The http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd has a version for
> > x86. I realize it will boot on all my systems. I am hoping that
> >
> > 1. I can use it to install either amd64 or x86 gentoo
>
> yes
>
> >
> > 2. I can use it to repair amd64 or x86 gentoo systems.
>
> yes
>
So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
safe?
 
Old 11-05-2008, 06:44 AM
"Daniel Pielmeier"
 
Default systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64

2008/11/5 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@gmail.com>:
> So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
> safe?
>

AFAIK chroot from 32 to 64 bit is not possible.

--
Regards,
Daniel
 
Old 11-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 09:44:46 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> 2008/11/5 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@gmail.com>:
> > So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
> > safe?
>
> AFAIK chroot from 32 to 64 bit is not possible.

To remove all doubt about this, it is definitely not possible. The 32 bit
kernel cannot run the 64 bit code that the chroot will provide.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64

On Mittwoch 05 November 2008, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> 2008/11/5 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@gmail.com>:
> > So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
> > safe?
>
> AFAIK chroot from 32 to 64 bit is not possible.

you are wrong.

You can do it, BUT you need a 64bit kernel.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64

On Mittwoch 05 November 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 November 2008 09:44:46 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> > 2008/11/5 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@gmail.com>:
> > > So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
> > > safe?
> >
> > AFAIK chroot from 32 to 64 bit is not possible.
>
> To remove all doubt about this, it is definitely not possible. The 32 bit
> kernel cannot run the 64 bit code that the chroot will provide.

and that is why systemrescuecd has a 64bit kernel for people who want or need
to chroot.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 18:22:00 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Mittwoch 05 November 2008, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> > 2008/11/5 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@gmail.com>:
> > > So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
> > > safe?
> >
> > AFAIK chroot from 32 to 64 bit is not possible.
>
> you are wrong.
>
> You can do it, BUT you need a 64bit kernel.

Ah, but how often have you seen a 32 bit userland running atop a 64 bit
kernel? I've never seen it (unusual cases like a 32 bit Firefox on a 64 bit
system excepted)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org