-   -   systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64 (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/187834-systemrescuecd-using-x86-amd64.html)

Allan Gottlieb 11-04-2008 07:35 PM

systemrescuecd: using x86 for amd64

I have several machines with core2-duo chips. Some run x86, others
amd64. All are gentoo.

The http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd has a version for
x86. I realize it will boot on all my systems. I am hoping that

1. I can use it to install either amd64 or x86 gentoo

2. I can use it to repair amd64 or x86 gentoo systems.

Is this correct and if not what things will I be unable to do for amd64?

thanks,
allan

Allan Gottlieb 11-04-2008 07:53 PM

At Tue, 04 Nov 2008 15:35:26 -0500 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

> I have several machines with core2-duo chips. Some run x86, others
> amd64. All are gentoo.
>
> The http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd has a version for
> x86. I realize it will boot on all my systems. I am hoping that
>
> 1. I can use it to install either amd64 or x86 gentoo
>
> 2. I can use it to repair amd64 or x86 gentoo systems.
>
> Is this correct and if not what things will I be unable to do for amd64?

Oops--I just now booted it on an x86 and it states how to do it for
amd64.

Sorry for the noise,
allan

Volker Armin Hemmann 11-04-2008 08:13 PM

On Dienstag 04 November 2008, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> I have several machines with core2-duo chips. Some run x86, others
> amd64. All are gentoo.
>
> The http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd has a version for
> x86. I realize it will boot on all my systems. I am hoping that
>
> 1. I can use it to install either amd64 or x86 gentoo

yes

Dirk Heinrichs 11-04-2008 08:31 PM

Am Dienstag, 4. November 2008 22:13:09 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> On Dienstag 04 November 2008, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> > I have several machines with core2-duo chips. Some run x86, others
> > amd64. All are gentoo.
> >
> > The http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd has a version for
> > x86. I realize it will boot on all my systems. I am hoping that
> >
> > 1. I can use it to install either amd64 or x86 gentoo
>
> yes
>
> > 2. I can use it to repair amd64 or x86 gentoo systems.
>
> yes

I also looked at systemrescuecd some time ago, but finally I'm using GRML now
for rescue purposes (oh, and to install Gentoo systems :-) ). Damn, those
folks even made me switch to zsh ;-).

Bye...

Dirk

Momesso Andrea 11-05-2008 05:10 AM

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:13:09PM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Dienstag 04 November 2008, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> > I have several machines with core2-duo chips. Some run x86, others
> > amd64. All are gentoo.
> >
> > The http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd has a version for
> > x86. I realize it will boot on all my systems. I am hoping that
> >
> > 1. I can use it to install either amd64 or x86 gentoo
>
> yes
>

> > 2. I can use it to repair amd64 or x86 gentoo systems.
>
> yes

So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
safe?

"Daniel Pielmeier" 11-05-2008 06:44 AM

2008/11/5 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@gmail.com>:
> So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
> safe?

AFAIK chroot from 32 to 64 bit is not possible.

Daniel

Alan McKinnon 11-05-2008 07:08 AM

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 09:44:46 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> 2008/11/5 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@gmail.com>:
> > So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
> > safe?
>
> AFAIK chroot from 32 to 64 bit is not possible.

To remove all doubt about this, it is definitely not possible. The 32 bit
kernel cannot run the 64 bit code that the chroot will provide.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Volker Armin Hemmann 11-05-2008 03:22 PM

On Mittwoch 05 November 2008, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> 2008/11/5 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@gmail.com>:
> > So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
> > safe?
>
> AFAIK chroot from 32 to 64 bit is not possible.

you are wrong.

You can do it, BUT you need a 64bit kernel.

Volker Armin Hemmann 11-05-2008 03:22 PM

On Mittwoch 05 November 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 November 2008 09:44:46 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> > 2008/11/5 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@gmail.com>:
> > > So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
> > > safe?
> >
> > AFAIK chroot from 32 to 64 bit is not possible.
>
> To remove all doubt about this, it is definitely not possible. The 32 bit
> kernel cannot run the 64 bit code that the chroot will provide.

and that is why systemrescuecd has a 64bit kernel for people who want or need
to chroot.

Alan McKinnon 11-05-2008 04:47 PM

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 18:22:00 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Mittwoch 05 November 2008, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> > 2008/11/5 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@gmail.com>:
> > > So it is possible to chroot from a 32 to a 64 bit enviroment? And is it
> > > safe?
> >
> > AFAIK chroot from 32 to 64 bit is not possible.
>
> you are wrong.
>
> You can do it, BUT you need a 64bit kernel.

Ah, but how often have you seen a 32 bit userland running atop a 64 bit
kernel? I've never seen it (unusual cases like a 32 bit Firefox on a 64 bit
system excepted)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com