Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   FLAC to mp3 converters? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/187728-flac-mp3-converters.html)

"Mark Knecht" 11-04-2008 05:04 PM

FLAC to mp3 converters?
 
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.

Possibly something in perl or, for the likes of me, even something GUI based.

Thanks,
Mark

Dirk Heinrichs 11-04-2008 05:15 PM

FLAC to mp3 converters?
 
Am Dienstag, 4. November 2008 19:04:04 schrieb Mark Knecht:

> I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
> of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
> using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
> files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
> Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
> etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.
>
> Possibly something in perl or, for the likes of me, even something GUI
> based.

Try http://www.gurulabs.com/goodies/downloads.php (scroll down to the bottom).

HTH...

Dirk

"young sun" 11-05-2008 02:40 AM

FLAC to mp3 converters?
 
I don`t know how to convert flac to mp3,I used to convert flac to
ogg with oggenc.

2008/11/5 Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@online.de>:
> Am Dienstag, 4. November 2008 19:04:04 schrieb Mark Knecht:
>
>> I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
>> of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
>> using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
>> files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
>> Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
>> etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.
>>
>> Possibly something in perl or, for the likes of me, even something GUI
>> based.
>
> Try http://www.gurulabs.com/goodies/downloads.php (scroll down to the bottom).
>
> HTH...
>
> Dirk
>
>

"Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto" 11-05-2008 04:12 PM

FLAC to mp3 converters?
 
On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
> of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
> using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
> files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
> Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
> etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.
>
> Possibly something in perl or, for the likes of me, even something GUI based.

I wouldn't trust something GUI-based; it would probably call the mp3
encoder with suboptimal default settings. I would write a script
myself. For flac decoding use (of course) media-libs/flac; for mp3
encoding, media-sound/lame. You can probably chain them in a pipe,
using flac -dc infile.flac | mp3lame <lameopts> - outfile.mp3 . Read
lame's man page and write a shell (or perhaps python/perl) script.

Neil Bothwick 11-05-2008 04:16 PM

FLAC to mp3 converters?
 
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:12:44 -0200, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:

> I wouldn't trust something GUI-based; it would probably call the mp3
> encoder with suboptimal default settings.

Any decent program would let you adjust the MP3 settings.

> I would write a script
> myself. For flac decoding use (of course) media-libs/flac; for mp3
> encoding, media-sound/lame. You can probably chain them in a pipe,
> using flac -dc infile.flac | mp3lame <lameopts> - outfile.mp3 . Read
> lame's man page and write a shell (or perhaps python/perl) script.

You also need to extract the ID3 tags from the FLAC file and then write
them to the MP3 file.


--
Neil Bothwick

I am Flatulus of Borg. Pull my finger.

"Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto" 11-05-2008 04:50 PM

FLAC to mp3 converters?
 
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:12:44 -0200, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't trust something GUI-based; it would probably call the mp3
>> encoder with suboptimal default settings.
>
> Any decent program would let you adjust the MP3 settings.
My experience so far is that most GUI multimedia-encoding programs
offer far less options than a command-line program. Sometimes the only
choice is codec and bitrate, and the bitrate sometimes comes in a
drop-down menu of "low", "medium", "high".

I have done many video encodings with mplayer, and in this case
adjusting settings yield drastic benefits to quality/bitrate.

> You also need to extract the ID3 tags from the FLAC file and then write
> them to the MP3 file.
I don't care about these, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to
preserve them.

"Eric Martin" 11-05-2008 04:59 PM

FLAC to mp3 converters?
 
IIRC, there is a fuse filesystem in portage that does exactly that. I
don't have any experience with it but it warrants a look.

On 11/5/08, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:12:44 -0200, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
>>
>>> I wouldn't trust something GUI-based; it would probably call the mp3
>>> encoder with suboptimal default settings.
>>
>> Any decent program would let you adjust the MP3 settings.
> My experience so far is that most GUI multimedia-encoding programs
> offer far less options than a command-line program. Sometimes the only
> choice is codec and bitrate, and the bitrate sometimes comes in a
> drop-down menu of "low", "medium", "high".
>
> I have done many video encodings with mplayer, and in this case
> adjusting settings yield drastic benefits to quality/bitrate.
>
>> You also need to extract the ID3 tags from the FLAC file and then write
>> them to the MP3 file.
> I don't care about these, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to
> preserve them.
>
>

Dirk Heinrichs 11-05-2008 05:06 PM

FLAC to mp3 converters?
 
Am Mittwoch, 5. November 2008 18:59:42 schrieb Eric Martin:

> IIRC, there is a fuse filesystem in portage that does exactly that. I
> don't have any experience with it but it warrants a look.

Wow, indeed! sys-fs/mp3fs.

Bye...

Dirk

"Ricardo Bevilacqua" 11-05-2008 05:12 PM

FLAC to mp3 converters?
 
2008/11/4 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
> of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
> using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
> files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
> Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
> etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.
>
> Possibly something in perl or, for the likes of me, even something GUI based.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Mark,

I don't know any good FLAC to MP3 converter. But anytime I need to
convert from one format to another I simply use FFMPEG.

It's a command line program, but it is very easy to use. If you want,
you can give me the quality parameters you want to use for the
conversion and I can tell you the options you have to pass ffmpeg to
convert from FLAC to MP3.

About the directories and stuff, you could just use an script, but
unfortunatelly I can't help you with that.

Regards.

Richard.

Andrew Gaydenko 11-05-2008 05:46 PM

FLAC to mp3 converters?
 
> 2008/11/4 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> > I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
> > of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
> > using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
> > files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
> > Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
> > etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.
> >
> > Possibly something in perl or, for the likes of me, even something GUI
> > based.

GUI-based: media-sound/soundkonverter


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.