Old 11-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Neil Bothwick

Default FLAC to mp3 converters?

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 20:55:33 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Most of the tracks were ripped over the last
> couple of years using KDE which prepends a track number on the file
> name
>
> 01_Track1Name.flac
> 02_Track2Name.flac
>
> I'd like to remove the track numbers but I don't see a way to do this
> yet.

You can change this in Kcontrol->Sound->Audio CDs under the Names tab.

Use something like krename to rename the existing tracks, or do it with
renamexm on the command line

renamexm -s'/^[0-9][0-9]_//r' **/*.mp3

--
Neil Bothwick

Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 AM
"Mark Knecht"

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 20:55:33 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Most of the tracks were ripped over the last
>> couple of years using KDE which prepends a track number on the file
>> name
>>
>> 01_Track1Name.flac
>> 02_Track2Name.flac
>>
>> I'd like to remove the track numbers but I don't see a way to do this
>> yet.
>
> You can change this in Kcontrol->Sound->Audio CDs under the Names tab.
>
> Use something like krename to rename the existing tracks, or do it with
> renamexm on the command line
>
> renamexm -s'/^[0-9][0-9]_//r' **/*.mp3
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o

Neil,
Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back any results. I guess I'm
only moderately confident as I'm not clear how the group of MP3 files
keeps the original track order. Are those written into the MP3 file by
the converter? Where does it get the info if I've removed the track
numbers from the file names. Is it already in the FLAC files?

Anyway, I'll give it a try on a few directories and see how it works.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 11-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:12:32 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back any results. I guess I'm
> only moderately confident as I'm not clear how the group of MP3 files
> keeps the original track order. Are those written into the MP3 file by
> the converter? Where does it get the info if I've removed the track
> numbers from the file names. Is it already in the FLAC files?

It doesn't, track order is a feature of a CD, not a bunch of mp3s. If you
want to keep the files in track order, leave the numbers there, that's
what they're for.

--
Neil Bothwick

Why is it that when you transport something by car it's called shipment,
but when you transport it by ship it's called cargo?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:55 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:12:32 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back any results. I guess I'm
>> only moderately confident as I'm not clear how the group of MP3 files
>> keeps the original track order. Are those written into the MP3 file by
>> the converter? Where does it get the info if I've removed the track
>> numbers from the file names. Is it already in the FLAC files?
>
> It doesn't, track order is a feature of a CD, not a bunch of mp3s. If you
> want to keep the files in track order, leave the numbers there, that's
> what they're for.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

Then there's something going on elsewhere. Using soundconverter I
converted a few CDs removing the track numbers from the names. I sent
the CD over to a Windows box and played them using iTunes. I note that
the tracks are displayed in the original order. It's possible, I
suppose, that since the artist and title directory names are in place
that iTunes looked up the track order from the CD database, but I
assumed it was actually embedded in the file by soundconverter.
soundfile-info cannot read MP3 file so I don't know what too would
tell me that the data is in the file or not.

I'll do the same experiment with your renaming and see what happens.

thanks,
Mark

Old 11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
"Paul Hartman"

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:12:32 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back any results. I guess I'm
>>> only moderately confident as I'm not clear how the group of MP3 files
>>> keeps the original track order. Are those written into the MP3 file by
>>> the converter? Where does it get the info if I've removed the track
>>> numbers from the file names. Is it already in the FLAC files?
>>
>> It doesn't, track order is a feature of a CD, not a bunch of mp3s. If you
>> want to keep the files in track order, leave the numbers there, that's
>> what they're for.
>>

>> --
>> Neil Bothwick
>
> Then there's something going on elsewhere. Using soundconverter I
> converted a few CDs removing the track numbers from the names. I sent
> the CD over to a Windows box and played them using iTunes. I note that
> the tracks are displayed in the original order. It's possible, I
> suppose, that since the artist and title directory names are in place
> that iTunes looked up the track order from the CD database, but I
> assumed it was actually embedded in the file by soundconverter.
> soundfile-info cannot read MP3 file so I don't know what too would
> tell me that the data is in the file or not.
>
> I'll do the same experiment with your renaming and see what happens.
>
> thanks,
> Mark

Track number can be stored in the ID3 tag of MP3 files (as well as
total number of tracks on the album, and disc number for sets).

Old 11-07-2008, 04:00 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It doesn't, track order is a feature of a CD, not a bunch of mp3s. If you
>>> want to keep the files in track order, leave the numbers there, that's
>>> what they're for.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Neil Bothwick
>>
>> Then there's something going on elsewhere. Using soundconverter I
>> converted a few CDs removing the track numbers from the names. I sent
>> the CD over to a Windows box and played them using iTunes. I note that
>> the tracks are displayed in the original order. It's possible, I
>> suppose, that since the artist and title directory names are in place
>> that iTunes looked up the track order from the CD database, but I
>> assumed it was actually embedded in the file by soundconverter.
>> soundfile-info cannot read MP3 file so I don't know what too would
>> tell me that the data is in the file or not.
>>
>> I'll do the same experiment with your renaming and see what happens.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Mark
>
> Track number can be stored in the ID3 tag of MP3 files (as well as
> total number of tracks on the album, and disc number for sets).

OK. Now, with 20,000 FLAC files to convert the track number needs to
be removed from the name and stored in the ID3 tag field.

Are there tools that can actually do this reliably? So far none of the
GUI based ones I've tried actually work across the directory
hierarchy. I assumed not when I asked the question originally thinking
maybe a command line script?

- Mark

Old 11-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Eric Martin

Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 5. November 2008 18:59:42 schrieb Eric Martin:
>

>> IIRC, there is a fuse filesystem in portage that does exactly that. I
>> don't have any experience with it but it warrants a look.
>>

> Wow, indeed! sys-fs/mp3fs.
>
> Bye...
>
> Dirk

I'm thinking of using that to have my music in flac, and use mp3fs to
have itunes look at it.