Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Default FLAC to mp3 converters?

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Andrew Gaydenko <a@gaydenko.com> wrote:
>> 2008/11/4 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
>> > of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
>> > using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
>> > files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
>> > Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
>> > etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.
>> >
>> > Possibly something in perl or, for the likes of me, even something GUI
>> > based.
>
> GUI-based: media-sound/soundkonverter

Thanks to all for the answers and ideas so far.

Andrew - can soundkonverter target the output files to a completely
different directory structure? I.e., can it take input from
/audio/flac/Artist/album/*.flac and send it to
/audio/mp3/artist/album/*.mp3 where it needs to create the directories
in the output tree?

If so this would be great for my needs.

I'll build it later this evening.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 11-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Alex Schuster

Mark Knecht writes:

> I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
> of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
> using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
> files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
> Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
> etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.
>
> Possibly something in perl or, for the likes of me, even something GUI
> based.

This might work:

- emerge -u media-sound/transkode && transkode
- Configure transkode:
- edit the profile (like mp3-standard) you want to use to your needs
- set the naming scheme to %{src_dir}/%{src_name}.%{dst_ext}
- Drag the root folder of your MP3s into the application window (works
with KDE, not sure about other desktops).
- Mark all files with Ctrl-A.
- Click right and set the profile to the one you want.
- Click the play button.
- Wait until all is done. You may stop and resume the process, but
when you quit transkode, I think it does not remember which files
were already converted.
- Beware of the strange naming things, I do not know how well transkode
will handle this.
- You will also get a nice amarok plugin if the amarok use flag is set.

Wonko

Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 22:55:34 Mark Knecht wrote:

> > GUI-based: media-sound/soundkonverter
>
> Thanks to all for the answers and ideas so far.
>
> Andrew - can soundkonverter target the output files to a completely
> different directory structure? I.e., can it take input from
> /audio/flac/Artist/album/*.flac and send it to
> /audio/mp3/artist/album/*.mp3 where it needs to create the directories
> in the output tree?
>
> If so this would be great for my needs.
>
> I'll build it later this evening.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

There ia an option (among others) "copy directory structure"
(I have not used it).

Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 PM
"Paul Hartman"

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Andrew Gaydenko <a@gaydenko.com> wrote:
>> 2008/11/4 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
>> > of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
>> > using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
>> > files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
>> > Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
>> > etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.
>> >
>> > Possibly something in perl or, for the likes of me, even something GUI
>> > based.
>
> GUI-based: media-sound/soundkonverter

Try also media-sound/soundconverter for a gnome version

Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 PM
"Beau Henderson"

Audacity does an excellent job ( and lets you select many different encoding qualities )

--
Beau Dylan Henderson

Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 19:06:49 +0100, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> > IIRC, there is a fuse filesystem in portage that does exactly that. I
> > don't have any experience with it but it warrants a look.
>
> Wow, indeed! sys-fs/mp3fs.

Nice,anything similar for Ogg Vorbis?

--
Neil Bothwick

30 minutes of begging is not considered foreplay.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:14 AM
darren kirby

quoth the Mark Knecht:
> Hi,
> I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
> of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
> using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
> files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
> Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
> etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.

CLI based, but very simple. It will mirror your directory structure and
preserve any meta-tags: http://badcomputer.org/unix/code/sneetchalizer/

Something like:
$ sneetchalizer -r -D /my/mp3s/ --in=flac --out=mp3 /my/flacs/

will do everything you specified above with one command.

Ruby powered

> Thanks,
> Mark

HTH,
-d

Old 11-06-2008, 02:14 AM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 6:14 PM, darren kirby <bulliver@badcomputer.org> wrote:
> quoth the Mark Knecht:
>> Hi,
>> I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
>> of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
>> using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
>> files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
>> Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
>> etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.
>
> CLI based, but very simple. It will mirror your directory structure and
> preserve any meta-tags: http://badcomputer.org/unix/code/sneetchalizer/
>
> Something like:
> $ sneetchalizer -r -D /my/mp3s/ --in=flac --out=mp3 /my/flacs/
>
> will do everything you specified above with one command.
>
> Ruby powered
>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>

> HTH,
> -d
> --
> darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
> "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
> - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972

Darrin,
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 11-06-2008, 02:18 AM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>> GUI-based: media-sound/soundkonverter
>
> Try also media-sound/soundconverter for a gnome version

I tried this. It converts a single album correctly but fails horribly
at collections of dozens and dozens of directories. It seems to get
very confused.

I guess I'll try the KDE version to see if it works any better.

Thanks for the help,
Mark

Old 11-06-2008, 03:55 AM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Andrew Gaydenko <a@gaydenko.com> wrote:
>> 2008/11/4 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
>> > of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
>> > using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
>> > files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
>> > Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
>> > etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.
>> >
>> > Possibly something in perl or, for the likes of me, even something GUI
>> > based.
>
> GUI-based: media-sound/soundkonverter

thanks Andrew. I tried this version but so far it's not cooperating.
Probably it's mostly me but I now understand I have one more
requirement that the Gnome version handles but I don't see an option
in the KDE version. Most of the tracks were ripped over the last
couple of years using KDE which prepends a track number on the file
name

01_Track1Name.flac
02_Track2Name.flac

I'd like to remove the track numbers but I don't see a way to do this
yet. The Gnome version has that feature but crashes when given more
than a single album.

too bad....

- Mark